Informing FedEx that your package has a firearm in it???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    You are both incorrect. Individuals may ship long guns through USPS via any service they choose, providing they follow USPS rules and regs. I have shipped long guns via Priority Mail and Registered Mail. FFL holders may ship handguns through USPS as well as long guns.

correct and an FFL does not have to ship priority. We do have extra paperwork that has to be done now for every firearm shipped through us.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I shipped a pistol back to Taurus a couple of weeks ago. I informed the workers at UPS what was in the box and the lady actually flinched. UPS apparently no longer ships firearms unless both the shipper and recipient are ffl, leo, etc. They produced an internal email to the effect of regular joes can not ship firearms at all. FedEx was much happier about taking my money. I declared the contents and the Guy behind the counter asked if it was unloaded and disassembled. I told him it needed service and could not be disassembled and he said ok and rang me up.

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    a HUGE "Contains explosive cartridges" sticker on it. It sat on my porch the entire day. When I got home, I could see the package from the street, and could see the sticker clearly from the sidewalk.

They put the sticker on their so the guys at the hubs know how to sort it. It goes down one of two lines "Con" or "Non con" They have since changed that to a code.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    They put the sticker on their so the guys at the hubs know how to sort it. It goes down one of two lines "Con" or "Non con" They have since changed that to a code.

Im glad they did. I have no problem with it being labeled, or having a code on it, but I just dont like the huge sticker that says "Steal me! There is ammo in here!"

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    I shipped a pistol back to Taurus a couple of weeks ago. I informed the workers at UPS what was in the box and the lady actually flinched. UPS apparently no longer ships firearms unless both the shipper and recipient are ffl, leo, etc. They produced an internal email to the effect of regular joes can not ship firearms at all. FedEx was much happier about taking my money. I declared the contents and the Guy behind the counter asked if it was unloaded and disassembled. I told him it needed service and could not be disassembled and he said ok and rang me up.
    did you got to "the ups store" or one of their hubs because i sent mine back to tarus a little over a 2 months ago i think it was and used ups and had no issues at all. i actually talked guns with the guy for a while before i left.

JLawsonTXRH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    I don't see a problem informing the shipper that there is a firearm inside. I'm sure it is for their own safety. Also, I can't speak for FedEx, but UPS requires an "adult signature required" for firearms, which costs the shipper an extra $5.00. Since everything I ship is insured, I rarely worry about theft or loss.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I think the overnight/priority requirement helps to protect me. I want my handgun "in the system" as briefly as possible.

I've used FedEx with a prepaid label from the manufacturer on at least two occasions. I've never declared what was in the box and have never been asked either. I just dropped it off at the hub (as required) ... in and out in less than 10 seconds.

When I had to ship in the past using UPS, what an ordeal! I told the lady behind the counter (at the hub, as required) what was in the box and she about had a stroke. She became really animated and started lecturing me and going on and on about how I couldn't ship a handgun without a license or a permit (she had no clue about UPS requirements ... and she worked there). I'm not going to get into all the details here but before it was all said and done I was in contact with management. I don't know if she was ever "trained" but I could be the reason UPS no longer takes firearms (if that's true).

JLawsonTXRH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    I think the overnight/priority requirement helps to protect me. I want my handgun "in the system" as briefly as possible.

I've used FedEx with a prepaid label from the manufacturer on at least two occasions. I've never declared what was in the box and have never been asked either. I just dropped it off at the hub (as required) ... in and out in less than 10 seconds.

When I had to ship in the past using UPS, what an ordeal! I told the lady behind the counter (at the hub, as required) what was in the box and she about had a stroke. She became really animated and started lecturing me and going on and on about how I couldn't ship a handgun without a license or a permit (she had no clue about UPS requirements ... and she worked there). I'm not going to get into all the details here but before it was all said and done I was in contact with management. I don't know if she was ever "trained" but I could be the reason UPS no longer takes firearms (if that's true).

Well there's the problem!!!! Check out this link from the UPS site below at the bottom of this posting.

And here's a quote from that link:
    The labeling and outer box markings on all firearms shipments should not describe the contents. Labeling must be non-descript including the shipper's and consignee's abbreviated names on the shipping label or air shipping document.

In this case, less said is best said!

UPS: Shipping Firearms

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    My incident was many years ago ... before their current policy (whatever that is now). At that time they required you to declare the contents or you couldn't insure the package. Since those two occurances, I haven't used UPS.

Whitey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Connersville
    I asked the fedex guy about this and was told; yes you should tell if it is a gun being shipped. He also said he believes a lot of gun are shipped without being told. but the rules are to tell.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    If I was to make a WAG, I'd say that the reason is that if it is stolen or there's some other reason for an insurance claim, you can't claim that a package contained a firearm when it wasn't declared as such. It also ensures that they get paid for overnight plus adult signature. It additionally guarantees that they can ensure a FFL at one or the other end of the line (ignoring the possibility of you shipping firearms to yourself)

That is, as stated, just a guess, however. I have no relationship with UPS, FedEx, or any other shipper.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    did you got to "the ups store" or one of their hubs because i sent mine back to tarus a little over a 2 months ago i think it was and used ups and had no issues at all. i actually talked guns with the guy for a while before i left.

I was at a UPS Store. I asked the UPS store manager how I could get it shipped. She made a phone call to find out if I could ship via the local hub and was told I was not allowed to ship there, either.

kmartin4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    I've done both UPS and FEDEX at the hub with no problem. A friend is an FFL and they can use the USPS.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I don't see a problem informing the shipper that there is a firearm inside. I'm sure it is for their own safety. Also, I can't speak for FedEx, but UPS requires an "adult signature required" for firearms, which costs the shipper an extra $5.00. Since everything I ship is insured, I rarely worry about theft or loss.

This goes across the board, but claiming the insurance is a PITA! I worked the UPS shipping station for a while at my last job. If its broken, they will find every reason to not pay up. We had a claim rejected because we put a label over the box rating, and that inhibited them from verifying it was properly packaged! Lost is easier to prove, assuming it was lost in their system, and not stolen off of a doorstep. Most of the time that is your problem, unless the driver improperly released it.

I can guarantee that if you dont declare a firearm and there is issues down the road, you wont get ANYTHING for your claim.

Top Bottom