• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    I have 4 dogs, and we all know the economy sucks. I have been feeding pedigree to the kids, but the recent recipe change has not been to good for their tummies. Since I am going to have to change, and am looking to maybe save some money too; what can you guys and gals recommend that costs at most $25 per 50 lbs of food? Lots of thanks in advance.
    ~Royal

kimmi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    I use Homestyle Kibbles and Bits!

My dogs seem to like it, and it's $18 or so for a 40# bag at wal-mart. (Maybe a little more, but definitely <$25)

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Like I just posted in another thread here, Walmart's Ol' Roy High Performance dog food is good stuff. I have been feeding my pointer it for two weeks now and she likes it. 50 pound bag runs $22 +change. Before that I was feeding her the regular Purina dog chow and I think that runs around $18 for 44 pounds.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I fed my Mutt store brand dog food (mostly Kroger). She is 10 years old and no problems. I supplement her diet with snacks (Pizza, Chicken, Hotdogs, and whatever else I happen to be eating at the time).

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    Somewhere around Y2K, had a revelation about dog food.
    I've found that cheaper food usually means bigger turds and a hungry dog.
    I stick to the ProPlan for health and less shovel time.

YMMV.

I get the ProPlan for about $30/40lb OTD when it's on sale and I have coupons. I try to stock up when the deal is right.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    We feed Solid Gold or Nurto (Natural Choice). Don't know the cost. When you feed your dog a quality brand dog food you will actually feed less. They retain more of the food because there are less fillers in it. And as Vlad said the :poop: is less.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    yes forgot to mention that nutro has provided me with less and easier to clean messes as there isnt as much soy and corn fiber that don't get absorbed.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    it depends on the dog and their ability to digest. Some breeds have no problem eating slop. Others are very picky and will show you in their #2's.

I would go on a rant here and tell you that you shouldnt buy big store brand food, but I won't. Just shop around with different cheap bags. If they digest it well, and you are not required to feed them 4 times as much to get the same effect than you golden. The less times they are going to the bathroom on a food, the better. It means there body is processing and storing it for energy better.

Example:

Purina gold large breed food recommended 6 cups a day to get the nutrition my dogs weight size needs. However, Iams large breed only requires 3. My dogs gain wieght if I feed them any more than 3 with Iams. That is a good thing. Its because of the fillers that each brand puts in. You really should read the ingrediants on the back of any food that wants you to feed a large amount to sustain the dog. It will most likely be tons of fillers. Iams is more expensive up front, but I don't use near as much and therefore save money in the long run. Same with Eukanuba.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    We feed Solid Gold or Nurto (Natural Choice). Don't know the cost. When you feed your dog a quality brand dog food you will actually feed less. They retain more of the food because there are less fillers in it. And as Vlad said the :poop: is less.

+1

I use Diamond Natural. Pay more, use less. The overall cost is the same or less and it's better for the dog.

Top Bottom