2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    Police: Wife's warning shot scares off robbers

Police: Wife's warning shot scares off robbers

Updated: Monday, 26 Jul 2010, 6:18 PM EDT
    Published : Monday, 26 Jul 2010, 11:47 AM EDT

• STAFF REPORTS
    INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - A 64-year-old man may have his wife to thank for fending off two men who attacked him Saturday at his home on the northwest side.

According to an IMPD report, two men came to the door of 8000 block of Shetland Lane just before 3:30 Saturday afternoon.

The men, acting as workers for a landscaping company, told the homeowner they accidentally struck a water pipe in the neighborhood and needed to check his backyard for water damage, the report says.

But homeowner told the men they received their water from a well, not a water system and demanded that they leave his property.

The homeowner told police that he left for dinner and when he returned roughly two hours later, the men were standing on the road in front of his home.

The homeowner again insisted that the men leave after the men tried to him another excuse to work on his property.

That's when the men turned from annoying to violent.

The homeowner, who didn’t want to be identified, spoke to 24-Hour News 8. He described what happened next.

"The black guy on the porch he stood back came out at an angle and when he turned back the other way he had a 9 mm gun in his hand pointed at my face. So, what I did, I went under his arm with my hand and pushed it up towards the ceiling, so, he couldn't shoot me," he said.

The homeowner then yelled for his wife to get their gun. Then, one suspect hit the homeowner in the head with the gun.

Just then, according to police, the homeowner’s wife fired a round from her 9mm Glock into the wall of their bedroom, scaring off the attackers.
    Both suspects ran off in an unknown direction.

One suspect is described as white male, 5’11”, 160 lbs, wearing a bright green vest and white hard hat at the time. The other is described as a black male, 6’1”, 220 pounds, wearing a black shirt with black pants.

The police report says the homeowner told police that he had seen one of the suspects doing yard work on their neighbor’s home.

He told 24-Hour News 8 the same men had gone to other homes in the neighborhood.

“Yeah, they had been to a whole lot of houses in the neighborhood, especially one young girl up the street here and she is all by herself. She let the black guy in her house and gave him something to drink and she didn't know. I mean she could have been killed."

The men did not demand or take anything.

robbran144

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    southside/greenwood
    I don't want to take away from the story but if you have a gun aimed at your head how do you have the time or state of mind to realize it's a 9mm? I see this alot in these stories so it's not just this one... Not trying to start a war just something I've always wondered when I read these

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I don't want to take away from the story but if you have a gun aimed at your head how do you have the time or state of mind to realize it's a 9mm? I see this alot in these stories so it's not just this one... Not trying to start a war just something I've always wondered when I read these

everyone immediately becomes an expert when they see a gun :rolleyes:

just like i can walk around with a freakin HK and everyone ask if thats a glock? I of coarse tell them i only carry reliable firearms and this is an HK ;) :D

i bet i could spray paint a flintlock pistol and tuck it in my waiste band and someone would ask if i had a glock.

so where the men in his house or on the lawn when this happened? good thing the old lady didnt hit her husband through the wall with that glock cannon

JJGatesE30

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    Wow, I keep reading stories like this on this site. Too bad she wasn't able to shoot them, maybe that sounds bad but they deserve to be shot in that situation. I really need to get my LTCH from reading all this stuff, I live in a decent neighborhood but its still the city.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    9mm=the default setting of any pistol.

I get this a lot. Many of my guys will tell me that the police "pulled their 9s" (unless it is state po-po, the police here carry .45s or .40s).

Anymore any pistol is by default a "Glock".

Shetland? Northwest side by Eagle Creek? Man, when did that go Wild West?

Getting nervous my parents live on the westside. Oh, well, they have Big Craig to protect them.:D

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Wow, I keep reading stories like this on this site. Too bad she wasn't able to shoot them, maybe that sounds bad but they deserve to be shot in that situation. I really need to get my LTCH from reading all this stuff, I live in a decent neighborhood but its still the city.

my kids live no where near the city yet I made sure they were both armed. :dunno:
    Crime isn't just in the city

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN

No place is safe. I live in a a quiet neighborhood, and I was the victim of a failed mugging half a block away from my house while returning from a walk. Its horrible when you cant even walk down the street without fearing for your life.

Im glad the lady had it in her to do something. My grandfather is certainly a gun guy, but I am not sure my grandma would feel comfortable grabbing one of the guns and shooting it into the air or the floor, much less the general direction of the attacker.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    No place is safe. I live in a a quiet neighborhood, and I was the victim of a failed mugging half a block away from my house while returning from a walk. Its horrible when you cant even walk down the street without fearing for your life.

Im glad the lady had it in her to do something. My grandfather is certainly a gun guy, but I am not sure my grandma would feel comfortable grabbing one of the guns and shooting it into the air or the floor, much less the general direction of the attacker.

my wife would have gladly shot them both dead. I have tought her well. and I made sure I found a good woman, that wasnt just a worthless piece of ass.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    my wife would have gladly shot them both dead. I have tought her well. and I made sure I found a good woman, that wasnt just a worthless piece of ass.

My wife would have shot one of them dead at least also. We have agreed and practice not shooting if a target/BG is turned and running away.
    I didn't teach mine well, she had BB gun experience and automatically shlepped around and became a dang fine shot with the 22. She regularly shoots 38's, will shoot the Judge to stay informed, loves a 20 gauge pump as well as my Taurus 9 mm.
    I agree that I too found a good/great woman.
    No comment on the last part of your sentence!!!:dunno:

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    What a coward to attack the elderly.

Most criminals are at heart. They don't want to enter a fight they think they might lose. So women and elderly are at the top of their list. As we age, it isn't that we lose our awareness, it is our physical image that isn't as intimidating to the younger asswipes of our world.

djjdnap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2010
    the polis of indiana
    Man with the descriptions they give im scared to go outside,
    but on another note what were they doing working the neighborhood looking for a house with 'stuff' in it.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    and I made sure I found a good woman, that wasnt just a worthless piece of ass.

Even a piece of @ss that isn't worth anything else is still worth something. Ask any pimp. :pimp:

Heck I've spent good money in a bar for just a piece of @ss, in my younger days of course.

Last edited:

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Just paying attention to detail.

Top Bottom