• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scout103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Hey there all,

Just got back from picking up a family member from the Indy airport and I noticed a sign on the doors that read (roughly) "No weapons allowed on Indianapolis Airport Property, all violators will be prosecuted."

My thoughts on this were that you could carry in non-secure/regulated areas of the airport, and that this was just another sign that holds no actual weight. Am I wrong? (Trespassing would come into play if I didn't leave when asked to I know all that.)

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Post July 1, 2011 the sign holds no weight, secure areas of the airport are the only parts off limits. There's a thread buried on here that has a spot to log which municipalities aren't updating their signage to comply with the newer state pre-emption laws, where one of our resident lawyers is making contact with the towns to help affect some positive change for LTCH holders.

IC 35-47-6-1.3
    Firearm, explosive, or deadly weapon; possession in controlled access areas of an airport
    Sec. 1.3. A person who knowingly or intentionally enters an area of an airport to which access is controlled by the inspection of persons and property while the person:
    (1) possesses:
    (A) a firearm;
    (B) an explosive; or
    (C) any other deadly weapon; or
    (2) has access to property that contains:
    (A) a firearm;
    (B) an explosive; or
    (C) any other deadly weapon;
    commits a Class A misdemeanor.
    As added by P.L.84-1996, SEC.3.
    IC 35-47-6-1.4
    Unlawful entry to restricted area of airport
    Sec. 1.4. (a) This section does not apply to a person who is:
    (1) employed by:
    (A) an airport;
    (B) an airline; or
    (C) a law enforcement agency; and
    (2) acting lawfully within the scope of the person's employment.
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally enters an area of an airport to which access is controlled by the inspection of persons or property without submitting to the inspection commits a Class A misdemeanor.
    As added by P.L.59-2002, SEC.3.
    and

IC 35-47-11.1-2
    Political subdivision regulation of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories prohibited
    Sec. 2. Except as provided in section 4 of this chapter, a political subdivision may not regulate:
    (1) firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories;
    (2) the ownership, possession, carrying, transportation, registration, transfer, and storage of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories; and
    (3) commerce in and taxation of firearms, firearm ammunition, and firearm accessories.
    As added by P.L.152-2011, SEC.4.
    IC 35-47-11.1-3
    Voidance of political subdivision ordinances, measures, enactments, rules, policies, and exercises of proprietary authority
    Sec. 3. Any provision of an ordinance, measure, enactment, rule, or policy or exercise of proprietary authority of a political subdivision or of an employee or agent of a political subdivision acting in an official capacity:
    (1) enacted or undertaken before, on, or after June 30, 2011; and
    (2) that pertains to or affects the matters listed in section 2 of this chapter;
    is void.
    As added by P.L.152-2011, SEC.4.
    Full read on that last bit can be found here so you can learn the nuances of the exceptions to the rule Indiana Code 35-47-11.1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Post July 1, 2011 the sign holds no weight, secure areas of the airport are the only parts off limits. There's a thread buried on here that has a spot to log which municipalities aren't updating their signage to comply with the newer state pre-emption laws, where one of our resident lawyers is making contact with the towns to help affect some positive change for LTCH holders.

and

Full read on that last bit can be found here so you can learn the nuances of the exceptions to the rule Indiana Code 35-47-11.1

After reading this post, the question that immediately came to mind was, "Is the Indianapolis Airport Authority a completely private entity?"

NOPE! :nono:

From their homepage:

"Established as a municipal corporation by the General Assembly in 1962, the Indianapolis Airport Authority (IAA) owns, develops, and operates six airports in the Indianapolis metropolitan area."

Therefore, the Indiana Code cited applies, stripping the IAA of the authority to prohibit firearms in the Airport's non-secure areas.

Soooo... regarding the signs at the airport, Buddy Christ says to the IAA...

jesus-says-meme-generator-your-argument-is-invalid-b45656.jpg

:D :smileak: :rockwoot: :D

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Curiosity has got me again, where at the airport exactly are the signs posted, I looked and didn't see any when I flew several months ago.

Scout103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    I knew it was legal, but I just wanted to make sure.

It was just to the right of the main doors as you go into the baggage claim area below the main lobby.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Curiosity has got me again, where at the airport exactly are the signs posted, I looked and didn't see any when I flew several months ago.

I noticed the gun-buster signs on the glass sliding doors of the parking garage when walking to my brother's car. It was the first time I had arrived at/used the new airport terminal, and the signs stood out like a turd in a punch bowl. As had already been pointed out, they are bogus even without citing Indiana law, because people can, and do transport knives, guns, etc. in their checked baggage, so do pray tell "Longbarrel" how this legal act is only recommended for those that like jail... :dunno: :scratch: :dunno:

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    I'm over there a couple times a week, it's still on every door at arrivals and departures. I had pictures but didn't sync my phone before I dropped it and it bit the dust. I've been meaning to say something at office when I go over there but I'm usually in a hurry.

chem031

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Provo
    I know this is an old thread, but I'm at the airport right now and the signs are still there. Anything we can do about this? Maybe a nice letter to the airport/airport authority from a bunch of us, or a lawyer?

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I know this is an old thread, but I'm at the airport right now and the signs are still there. Anything we can do about this? Maybe a nice letter to the airport/airport authority from a bunch of us, or a lawyer?
    As long as they don't enforce it, they are under no obligation to.

imitosis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2012
    Fishers
    I went to pick up a rental car at the airport after being dropped off by my wife. I was carrying and noticed the sign as I was walking into the airport from the rental car drop-off garage towards the rental car desks. I did not know how much weight the sign carried but I had little option at that point but to ignore it and continue on. I am sure anyone looking at me with any scrutiny would have noticed how I was self-consciously trying to hide my right hip. Reading this thread and finding out that the sign carries no weight and made me feel like I was doing something wrong bugs me.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've OC'd at Arrivals and Departures without issue...

But I doubt anyone noticed. I'm pretty sure if they saw me, it'd be on the headline news.

Top Bottom