• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USMCsergeant

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    Vincennes
    Has anyone been to any of the recent Indy 1500's?? Just wanting to know if it was worth attending. Most of my buddies say it is better to just shop online anymore. Any thoughts?

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    I haven't been to the last couple. There are always deals to be found at the 1500, just depends what your looking for and if you find those deals that are there.

Brando

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I went to the last one..It was my second gun show ever. First was a Fort Wayne one. I was impressed at the size and scope of things. However, I'm not accustomed to gun shows. It was fun though. Lots to look at.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I preface my response by saying I'm not a real fan of shopping online when I can go local. However, I understand some people may not have as much variety in their particular towns/cities. That said, the 1500 or any gun show can be a good option for the following reasons:

1. You can compare prices of several shops (~25 or more depending on what you are looking for)
    2. You can haggle more with the vendors since they understand they have competition just a few steps from them. Will they take off $100? NO! Will they take off $10-$25? Maybe.
    3. You can shop for more than just guns, but reloading equipment/supplies, holsters, magazines, belts, flashlights, steel, knives, ammo, etc., all under one roof.
    4. Even if you don't purchase, you can get ideas of what you are looking for and get the opportunity to see it live and in living color.
    5. You get the opportunity to meet some great INGO members and visit the INGO booth!

People complain about the price of parking and the entrance fee, the neighborhood, inability to find deals, mean vendors, having to unload their guns, so forth and so on. I find the 1500 to be a great time and for people like me who suffer from INGOitis, it's a great place to get a "fix."

Errkola

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Indiana
    depends on what you're after. You can find some good items walking through and otherwise, but if you are after something specific you might be disappointed.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    As others have said, it's nice to have so much right there under one roof. I just bought some ammo and ammo cans at the last one, but it's just a lot of fun being around all that weaponry. I'm also looking forward to the January show just to drop by the INGO booth! :ingo:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Not like twenty years ago, but what is anymore. I used to go to all of them each year, now maybe once or twice only in the year, Might make January/October next years.

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have gone to every 1500 except this june show for the last 3 years. To me, you can find some great deals on ammo, parts, etc. But most of the dealers are not likely to budge much on their asking price. One very important thing you need to watch out for is markup! I personally visit several local shops routinely to see what's out there, as well as search gunbroker (locally for Indiana only). I noticed a trend where say a firearms is listed in the shop for 1300, as well on gunbroker. But for some reason that exact same firearm goes for $1800 at the show. I will not name the 6 shops that do this every time, but they are some of the more known ones....even a few listed in the local shops section. If you keep those things in mind, compare prices of a particular item, you can usually put the gun shops against eachother to get a better deal! Over all it is a good experience.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I find the 1500 to be a great time and for people like me who suffer from INGOitis, it's a great place to get a "fix."

Que, is that cream I wrote for you not working?

1500 is like going to a beauty pageant where you are encouraged to play with the models. I go for ammo (cheaper than online) and impulse buying.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Gun shows in general

As far as I'm concerned, gun shows have only one thing going for them. Just about anything you may want will probably be available there. If you can stand the crowds, don't mind having guns pointed at you, and don't care that you may pay as much or more than you would elsewhere, gun shows are OK. I haven't bought anything at a gun show in at least 4 years. But then I haven't been to one for 2 years.........and don't plan on going to another. :twocents:

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I've been going to the 1500 for about 16 plus years now. Its a good time. Bought and sold several guns there over that time and if you spend the time, deals can be found. That and you can see what your getting vs. on line.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    don't mind having guns pointed at you

Framing hammers, people, framing hammers. Safe, silent and effective.

If one Cledus loses teeth or an eye after pointing a gun at me, no other Cledii (or is it Cleduses) have to die. Save the Cledii!!!

Oh, 1500 also needs a hygenie check station and sand barrels. Oh, and a diet restrictions 24 hours before, no red meat for anyone.

Just wanting to know if it was worth attending. Most of my buddies say it is better to just shop online anymore.

Now, now, we've already covered this and shot down the grumblers.:D

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/28237-indy_1500_savings.html

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    The Indy 1500--

IMO:

For me gun shows in general are a great place to gather to enjoy my hobby. The product-guns, ammo, holsters, knives, and all the neat things that go with them, right there in front of me to look at and handle.
    If the items are new, then, yes, there is a minimum price, that all sellers with start with and then they will go up (In $) from there. That's why it pays to walk the show before any purchase is made.
    At my first Indy 1500 (A LOT of years ago!), I bought a 3-D-Cell Mag-Light, from one of the first tables that I saw one, by the time I left the show, I saw them for 15-20% less!!
    I filed that away in my SHORT memory bank as a learning process. It was (to me) NOT the first dealers fault for overcharging me for the Mag-Light, it was MY fault for paying too much!! This was WAY before the Internet was out, with all of the World Pricing that it offers.
    Fast Forward to one of the last 1500's.--I was looking for a Weaver Type scope mount base to mount on a Bush Master AR-15 carry handle.
    The first couple of dealers had some that were forged billet+all fancy packed and all. These mounts were $50-$60.00--I kept walking--50 feet from the last dealer, that assured me that I would NOT find them cheaper!!-was JUST what I was looking for, for $9.95!!!! Yes, it was made a little cheaper then the $60.00 ones, but Yes it was the ONE that I wanted.--I just saved $40-$50.00 by checking BEFORE buying!! And I was able to look at/handle the mounts before I bought=you can NOT do that on the On-Line, Internet sales!! This is just one example for me-there are many-many others.
    For the Newbie, again, IMO--do NOT go to the Indy 1500 as your FIRST gun show--You will be overwhelmed with the "Busyness"-Read-Overwhelmed. Do some smaller shows first, just to get to know your system of buying at a gun show. Remember the 1500 is about 10X the volume of most of the small, local, County Fairs building type of gun shows, with all of the + AND - 10X the amount.

Thanks for the Forum space-NO Rant-Just my take on going to Gun Shows in the Central Indiana area for the last 30 years or so...Bill.

Last edited:

LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.
    I can tell that some of the respondants to this thread have never been in business for themselves. I look at the 1500 as a place to cast about, feel, finger, fish, flounder, forage, fumble, grabble, scrabble, search. The dealers there spend a lot of time, & money to give us the ability to do just that, which can't be done on line. Also, you meet new friends, & could create a business relationship. :twocents:

Top Bottom