• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    We need a gun and knife show that is about guns and knives.

I feel that if we all got together and started a collectors stlye show (hey we already have the PROFIRE sponsored event), we all could benifit from it in education, and overall quality of the show experance.

Those of us lucky enough to have been invited to an Ohio collectors meeting know of the type of show I am thinking of. It is a refreshing chage to pay 35 dollars a year to attend 5 Ohio collectors meetings. No parking fees and room to move around in isle even bring in an item and not knock it into everybody crammed into a space like sardines in a can. To learn about and see things I have not seen at shows. To talk to people who really know about and are passionate about collecting and displaying the things they love about there favorite guns and knives.

Prohibit the garage sale items. No tables for people running for Mayor. Got tee shirts sell them somewhere else. No space rocks and no coins. No gems, no rubber band shooters, no books, no rude costume necklace and wristband ladies who think if you stop in front of the table it is her space, No wallets and leather good sellers, no fishing charters, No raffle tables with pushy ticket salesman, No jerky sales (love the free samples myself,) No jugs of bisket mix, No meth making glass wear, No flashlights tables (hard to say as I love a good cheap flashlight also), no backpacks, No mil surp boots packs and gas masks: ECT

Require at least 70% of the table to be guns and knives, the rest gun or knive related. Encourage collectors to bring in collections of theirs that are well laid out and informative. Encourage better quality firearms displayed. Encourage members to exchange quality information on what they love in the collections they have. Showing examples of quality arms that may not even be for sale but there love of say win model 52's to be shared with others who may have never seen more than say one in their lifetime.

I feel for me it is time for a change.

The indy 1500 is still a show for what it is. We have that lets not change a thing about it. I call for something that WE as INGO fans (Or others who may or do feel the same as I) can step up and take to the next level step up and show what we can do. The nice setup of the OGCA would be a nice place to look at and not copy but get basic ideas.

If anyone has ideas, comments, concerns, or think it could be a good idea or knows it would be a horrid idea feel free to put in your two cents.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I like the 1500. It's like a carnival. Everyone knows what I mean. You go for the elephant man. If you want the Van Gogh collection go to a museum. It sounds like you want to start the "museum."

My guess is that with the relatively low mark-up on firearms and the relatively high mark-up on "accessories" most of the money made in margins is from the stuff you want kept out. I not sure how that pan out??

I say the more the merrier in types and number of shows.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I like the 1500. It's like a carnival. Everyone knows what I mean. You go for the elephant man. If you want the Van Gogh collection go to a museum. It sounds like you want to start the "museum."

My guess is that with the relatively low mark-up on firearms and the relatively high mark-up on "accessories" most of the money made in margins is from the stuff you want kept out. I not sure how that pan out??

I say the more the merrier in types and number of shows.

The side show is one of the reason I think we don't see more collectors showing good stuff at the 1500 show compaired to national gun day or OGCA shows.

I ask before I pick up anything from someones table. Many just grab at it and the point away with the muzzle anyone around.

I remember a guy at the 1500 that packed up and left in the middle of a show because someone marred a very expensive rifle he had for sale. I was a kid and remember him yelling and cussing the guy out and packing out. that may be where my ask before touching behavior came form.

I like a good freak show also. I maybe as you get old you have seen enough freaks.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I actually like gun shows for the military surplus stuff, tactical gear, and misc tables.

I've never bought a gun from a show, and probably never will. If I want a gun, between the lgs, box stores, and the classifieds - theres really no reason for me to wait for a gun show.

Just my :twocents:

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    OP - do you know why the show management/ownership conducts the Indy 1500? What's their ONLY motivation for doing so? Do you know? Think about it for a bit and then you may realize how ridiculous your rant sounds.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    OP - do you know why the show management/ownership conducts the Indy 1500? What's their ONLY motivation for doing so? Do you know? Think about it for a bit and then you may realize how ridiculous your rant sounds.

Yes I do. I guess i can just go to Ohio. I also would like others to attempt to get an invite to one of those meetings.

I also stated i am fine with what the show is. I also know there are many like myself i guess looking for the other alternatives. I complain much more about the lighting at muncie. At least it is 5 dollar to enter just bring a flashlight if you want to see a proof mark or serial number.

I did ask for all comments so I will put you down with the capitolists. I take it you would not be intrested in something a little different.

I know for a fact that 10.000 attended the feb saterday show. Multiply that by say 15 dollars and about that total over 3 days. Anyone can see that it is a profitable little setup. Many of the dealers most likely love the show also. I am sure brad and shiela love it.

I still think many ingo members might enjoy a trip here. Welcome to the Ohio Gun Collectors Association Online

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    We need a gun and knife show that is about guns and knives.

I feel that if we all got together and started a collectors stlye show (hey we already have the PROFIRE sponsored event), we all could benifit from it in education, and overall quality of the show experance.

Those of us lucky enough to have been invited to an Ohio collectors meeting know of the type of show I am thinking of. It is a refreshing chage to pay 35 dollars a year to attend 5 Ohio collectors meetings. No parking fees and room to move around in isle even bring in an item and not knock it into everybody crammed into a space like sardines in a can. To learn about and see things I have not seen at shows. To talk to people who really know about and are passionate about collecting and displaying the things they love about there favorite guns and knives.

Prohibit the garage sale items. No tables for people running for Mayor. Got tee shirts sell them somewhere else. No space rocks and no coins. No gems, no rubber band shooters, no books, no rude costume necklace and wristband ladies who think if you stop in front of the table it is her space, No wallets and leather good sellers, no fishing charters, No raffle tables with pushy ticket salesman, No jerky sales (love the free samples myself,) No jugs of bisket mix, No meth making glass wear, No flashlights tables (hard to say as I love a good cheap flashlight also), no backpacks, No mil surp boots packs and gas masks: ECT

Require at least 70% of the table to be guns and knives, the rest gun or knive related. Encourage collectors to bring in collections of theirs that are well laid out and informative. Encourage better quality firearms displayed. Encourage members to exchange quality information on what they love in the collections they have. Showing examples of quality arms that may not even be for sale but there love of say win model 52's to be shared with others who may have never seen more than say one in their lifetime.

I feel for me it is time for a change.

The indy 1500 is still a show for what it is. We have that lets not change a thing about it. I call for something that WE as INGO fans (Or others who may or do feel the same as I) can step up and take to the next level step up and show what we can do. The nice setup of the OGCA would be a nice place to look at and not copy but get basic ideas.

If anyone has ideas, comments, concerns, or think it could be a good idea or knows it would be a horrid idea feel free to put in your two cents.

You want a gun show that's exactly like that? Then go to Bradis. That's what I do.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    I would rather go to Ohio than any other show.
    It is what a gun show used to be like.
    Quality of pieces is much better than any gun shop could provide.
    And I have met Hank Williams Jr. and many different gun writers at the show and actually talked with them.
    Can't say that about any place else I have been to.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    You want a gun show that's exactly like that? Then go to Bradis. That's what I do.

I guess they moved all the flea market stuff to bradis II.

I love bradis but that is not exactly what I am looking at . when is the last time shooter521 sold a win model 52 at bradis.

I bought my first new rifle at bradis back when they sold more lawn mowers and chainsaws than guns.

I understand I will not get that many people to understand the concept if they have never been to some of the other major guns shows or a OGCA show. bradis is not a gun show it is a gun shop. They carry what keeps the doors open they do not cater to collectors but they are a good gun shop.

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    Unless I'm in the market for a very specific item that I can't find somewhere else I stay the heck away from the 1500. I generally find better firearm prices at the LGS without all the "excitement".

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I would rather go to Ohio than any other show.
    It is what a gun show used to be like.
    Quality of pieces is much better than any gun shop could provide.
    And I have met Hank Williams Jr. and many different gun writers at the show and actually talked with them.
    Can't say that about any place else I have been to.

thank goodness one person I do not have to convert. I think the show would convet any who could get an invite/

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Pocket Traders, put on by INGO's own traderdan is probably closer to what you're describing, OP... At least as far as being the way that gun shows "used to be". While I'm sure I would enjoy attending an OGCA show, if their table that was at the 1500 was any indication of what their shows are like though, I would be going home empty handed. That's where I saw the $3500 Mausers. :n00b:

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    Sounds like a different show for different gun buyers, I myself am not into collecting guns other than having a lot of different things, I don't buy for the dollar value, I buy for quality, not really looking for show pieces if that makes sense

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    I guess they moved all the flea market stuff to bradis II.

I love bradis but that is not exactly what I am looking at . when is the last time shooter521 sold a win model 52 at bradis.

I bought my first new rifle at bradis back when they sold more lawn mowers and chainsaws than guns.

I understand I will not get that many people to understand the concept if they have never been to some of the other major guns shows or a OGCA show. bradis is not a gun show it is a gun shop. They carry what keeps the doors open they do not cater to collectors but they are a good gun shop.

I have to agree about the gunshow and the Bradis satements, Hard to find an old Colt in Bradis!!! National gun day is about the best show in the midwest if you like the real good stuff. Pocket traders is fun!

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    OP I don't know, my perception of your outlook in general comes across pretty arrogant and condescending. I was rather torqued reading your post until I got to the part where you said "keep the 1500 for what it is", and then I relaxed.

I have, over a great many years, experienced many wonderful things at not only the 1500 but many other gun shows as well. If you have the opportunity to attend the Tulsa show you should definitely do so.

I do hear lots of total BS at shows, but sometimes you get that at local retailers too. If you have a desire to have club atmosphere as opposed to the sales and variety type then as stated above you should continue your efforts to start something up. I believe you would have fewer people, but they would be more focused on the types of things you target as interesting to you.

Top Bottom