• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Any feedback on online classes at IWU. In particular MBA or Masters in a business related field. I have an opportunity to get reimbursed for college classes and figure maybe I should knock a degree out before my kids get older and we have sports on the weekends.

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    Dont know if IWU is your only option but if not check out Indiana Governors University. My wife and I are both taking classes there and we both love it. If it'd an option and you have any questions feel free to send me a message and I will help the best I can!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    They use the Blackboard software used by many schools for online work.

I did a two year Business - Info Systems to complete my B.S. with them.

Was nice to be able to do around my busy schedule. I'll probably do the MBA through them as well.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Any feedback on online classes at IWU. In particular MBA or Masters in a business related field. I have an opportunity to get reimbursed for college classes and figure maybe I should knock a degree out before my kids get older and we have sports on the weekends.

I went to IWU to finish up getting my Bachelor of Science degree from 2003-05 finishing up with a Business Information Systems degree.

I took the on location classroom courses onsite at the campus just East of I-465 and Keystone on the North side of Indy.
    (the building that looks like it's all mirrors on the outside)

During the time i was there, a few in my class took an IWU class online.

They said it was noticeably HARDER than being in the classroom.

ALSO, if you go to IWU they have everybody work in study groups.

Make sure you observe those in your class and try to build a good group.

I built a good group and we stayed together for the entire time.

Get in a bad group and it will make it that much harder.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    My mom and sister are finishing up classes at IWU and both seem to like it. I'm going with Trine for my Master's program. It'll be my first time back in classes in a little while, so it should be a real thriller. Good luck to you if you decide to pursue the MBA!

HollidaySlim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    The IWU MBA online classes are OK, I took them but feel the material is lacking.

I would look at what the Butler MBA program for working professionals has to offer if you are in the Indy area. My wife completed it last year, and it was 2 times a week in the evening and the professors worked around her schedule (even during an auditors busy season Jan - April where she was working 70 - 80 hours a week) its was considerably more than IWU or WGU but worth it in our estimation.

Full disclosure****Her firm reimbursed all tuition and related expenses after she completed and passed the courses.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I completed my MBA program through IWU online. I considered Butler, but the additional cost was more than my company would reimburse. I have to say that compared with traditional classes, the online classes can be more intensive in that you have to be more focused and disciplined. Whereas an instructor lectures in a traditional setting, you will be required to do quite a bit of reading and self-learning.

You will have quite a bit of group activities, which can be good for collaboration but bad if you get lazy cohorts. In more than one class those of us concerned about our grades had to pull extra weight to compensate for a slacker or two, but fortunately we had opportunities to provide feedback about this to the instructor and he or she did adjust grades accordingly. In fact, on at least one occasion an individual who provided no input (he provided plenty of excuses) failed out of the class due to a lack of participation.

HollidaySlim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    You will have quite a bit of group activities, which can be good for collaboration but bad if you get lazy cohorts. In more than one class those of us concerned about our grades had to pull extra weight to compensate for a slacker or two,

This***

I had a "group" of peers that refused to work together. Therefore the 2 of us that actually cared about what the professor was seeing and reviewing had to pull the wait of 4 people.

It was.....less than desirable.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    This***

I had a "group" of peers that refused to work together. Therefore the 2 of us that actually cared about what the professor was seeing and reviewing had to pull the wait of 4 people.

It was.....less than desirable.

Yeah, it sucked but it also wasn't too different from what I experience at work on a regular basis. Go figure.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    If IWU isn't the only option, check out Kelley School of Business' online program. From checking some rankings, Western Governors University and Kelley are both very attractive for their online programs with WGU being more so if $$$$ is a concern. I'm thinking about an MBA and I'm not sure I want to stick with my current school as I'm not fond of the drive. Kelley Direct is looking good because there would be minimal travel (I think twice a semester to Bloomington). I wasn't too sure about WGU but I know someone getting a Master's through them and the program sounds much better than what I'd thought based on experiences other people I know have had with online schools (not University of Phoenix). WGU has a Master's of Business Administration and 2 MBA programs with concentrations, IT Management and Healthcare Management. The best thing I've seen about WGU (besides the price) is no GMAT or GRE requirements. I'll hopefully put in a few years working in my major's field and most likely do the WGU MBA program. Under $15,000 for 2 years instead of close to $60,000 for Kelley Direct. Apparently, Ball State (Miller College of Business) is another good option as far as rankings and cost. I hadn't even considered anything to do with Ball State but it appears that Miller College is ranked pretty high among schools that have online MBA programs.

Hickman, I think many schools are moving to Blackboard (I've used it before and it is MUCH, MUCH better than what IU uses).

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Serious question. Do prospective employers take online degrees seriously? I keep seeing commercials for online schools I've never heard of and it seems like there's a new one about every week.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Serious question. Do prospective employers take online degrees seriously? I keep seeing commercials for online schools I've never heard of and it seems like there's a new one about every week.

Depends on the school. My wife is finishing up her MBA in adult education at IU but it is online. She will graduate in spring with an Masters in adult education from IU and attend the graduation ceremony down there. So, the "online degree" is quite reputable if it is coming from an accredited school.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I would like to take some additional classes towards my Phd. Purdue is pretty picky about other schools. They do not accept credits from many accredited universities. There are several different accreditation organizations, and that also varies state to state. I earned my Masters Degree at seminary, and they completely discount those credits. The funny thing, is that even the online requirements for that degree were far stricter than a state institution, both in the amount of required credits, personal requirements as well as academic standards.

My warning is, that if you are taking the classes to build upon later, be sure the school you select awards the credits required by the school you will likely attend if desire to continue your education.

Good Luck, you can never go wrong investing in yourself.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    My wife went to IWU and finished up online her last year in accounting. She loved the blackboard software. Makes it a lot easier for parents to go to college without having to go on campus. The classes weren't any easier as I recall, it was all the same work in the books and occasional web conferences. Lots of powerpoints and youtube lectures to rewind. She did a lot of the work from 9 to midnight once the kids went to sleep.

GustavHalbach

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010

This is very true. Make sure your employeer and/or any future schools will recognize a degree from IWU. Always check their accredidation and transferrability because you never know where life may take you in the years to come.

-G

Top Bottom