• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    This is a thread to discuss the upcoming Judicial Retention Vote for our Indiana Supreme Court.

Hoosiers need to be informed about the vote:

• Who is up for retention
    • What their record looks like
    • When the vote takes place

CarmelHP & Fargo began this conversation in another thread.

Don't forget, there is a judicial retention vote coming up.

I believe there is only one Indiana Supreme Court justice up for retention this fall, and it just happens to be Stephen David, the author of the Barnes travesty.

Best,

Joe

So how can we find out for certain which other justices are up for retention?

And what is the easiest way to research a justice's voting record?

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    From "Justice Steve David can't follow simple Indiana law" Stuart Showalter, LLC

...Judge David has long experienced this God complex where he decides, based upon his own experiences, wishes or assumptions what would be best for litigants or society in general regardless of the law, wishes of the parties or what is actually best for those affected by his decisions...

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    This is a thread to discuss the upcoming Judicial Retention Vote for our Indiana Supreme Court.

Hoosiers need to be informed about the vote:

• Who is up for retention
    • What their record looks like
    • When the vote takes place

CarmelHP & Fargo began this conversation in another thread.

So how can we find out for certain which other justices are up for retention?

And what is the easiest way to research a justice's voting record?

Indiana's Judicial Retention page has not been updated since 2010. Justices are up for retention 2 years after they are appointed and then every 10 years. I believe David is the only one this year as it has been 2 years since his appointment.

It is my understanding from talking to some people involved in arguing the Barnes case that Sullivan was the one who really pushed abrogating the right and David got on board and wrote it. However, I don't believe Sullivan is up this year.

Best,

Joe

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    So, how common is it for a Justice not to be retained? I mean, is this just a matter of "should we keep this guy?" Would it be a rarity if Justice David was not retained?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Like winning the Publisher's Clearing House, or like sticking your finger in a 220 volt outlet?

I don't know if any justice has ever failed a retention vote. To be fair, though, the voters rarely pay attention. To show how much attention is paid to this, not only has the judiciary's retention page not been updated since 2010, the Secretary of State's judicial retention link from the Elections Division takes you to a 404 Error page.

ejm874

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NWI/Indy
    I agree that removal on a retention vote is rare, but it isn't without precedent. A family friend was a former Iowa Supreme Court justice, one of the three who voted with the majority in legalizing same-sex marriage. There was a large campaign to oust the jusitces who faced retention votes, and Iowa voters successfully did so. Legal merit and personal perspectives in both cases aside, my opinion is that only a well-organized and funded campaign actively seeking removal of a justice will succeed in doing so. You need an issue polarizing and important enough to capture enough sympathy, and I'm not so sure the Barnes decision will invoke enough passion in Joe Hoosier to make a difference in the vote.

parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    The time has come! This is important. Give your opinion in this thread
    to bump it so everyone is informed.

My mom got her absentee ballot the other day.

Justices to be retained or not are.

J. Steven H. David :noway: BOOOOOOO

J. Robert D. Rucker :dunno:

Rucker did dissent during the Barnes v. Indiana case so I guess that's ok.
    any one have a reason not to keep him?

link to barnes v. Indiana: Indiana Lawyer

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    . A family friend was a former Iowa Supreme Court justice, one of the three who voted with the majority in legalizing same-sex marriage.

The Varnum case was unanimous. There was no "majority." There was just one opinion, which of the justices joined.

Three of them were removed in 2010. Another one is facing retention this year.

Top Bottom