• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pkoko

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Are there any year round / summer hunting in Indiana? I would like to hunt; I have never hunted before and I would hope that I can get the opportunity to hunt this summer. Any recommendations?

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Are there any year round / summer hunting in Indiana? I would like to hunt; I have never hunted before and I would hope that I can get the opportunity to hunt this summer. Any recommendations?

Depends on what your quarry is. There isn't much in season during the summer but bass, catfish, crappie, blue gill, etc...

Crow and bull frogs have an early season. Tree rats really kick off the hunting season August 15 and lead you into bow season for deer and fall turkey.

If you're interested in deer hunting and can't wait for the season, I suggest getting your fix by scouting. If you don't have private land your hunting on already, check out the public land and start learning the deers movements. Look for signs of deer, trails, food, scat, rubs and scrapes. You can really start, and really should start, patterning (is that a word? :D) deer movement through the mid summer and leading right up to a week or so before bow season. This way you get an idea where to set up and can predict where they will be. Be a pal though and try and not scout during bow season for fear of messing up someone else's hunt. Unless of course you're gonna push deer into said hunter :D

And while you're out in the woods, bring a pole and do some fishing. Also, some may disagree with this but I've never had much luck hunting deer over watering holes. Deer don't have to water every day. They get enough with dew and their diet. Bedding areas and food and the path between the two with favorable wind will score you some meat in your freezer.

Good luck and welcome to the hunting club. I warn you, it can become an obsession!

cain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Newburgh, IN
    There is no season for groundhog nor do you need a license from what I read on the IN DNR page. I have 5 living under my yard barn. Bought a Ruger 10/22 and sub sonic rounds today for a little weekend hunt.

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    where would you find wild hogs in indiana, me and some buddies were planning a trip down south but if there was spots here that would be awesome!

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    where would you find wild hogs in indiana, me and some buddies were planning a trip down south but if there was spots here that would be awesome!

It is my understanding they are all on private property so permission must be granted. I have heard that the Bedford, and Vanderberg Co area has some.

Top Bottom