• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I don't think either one would matter. There exists a certain subset of drivers who will still speed, pass, race to the front of the line and force their way in, and drive recklessly around construction workers.

(And construction zones - especially lane closures - would work much more smoothly if police actually ticketed people for passing and racing to the front of the line.)

I think, in some states, it's recommended by the officials to occupy both lanes and orderly merge where the lane ends...or so I've read.

My previous point was if the construction projects didn't take so much time, there would be less time for people to get caught driving illegally. Yeah, some people are "that guy" and probably always will be. But some people have a bad day and get careless or need to get somewhere quickly and maybe push it too far. And because the construction zones persist and occupy non-construction space, the odds of getting caught are enhanced.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I think, in some states, it's recommended by the officials to occupy both lanes and orderly merge where the lane ends...or so I've read.

My previous point was if the construction projects didn't take so much time, there would be less time for people to get caught driving illegally. Yeah, some people are "that guy" and probably always will be. But some people have a bad day and get careless or need to get somewhere quickly and maybe push it too far. And because the construction zones persist and occupy non-construction space, the odds of getting caught are enhanced.

I'm talking about the people who pass even after the "lane ends - merge left/right - DO NOT PASS" signs. You know them: you can see them in your side mirror, racing up the near-empty lane, then flying past you, all the way to the merge point.

Also: "orderly merge"? Did Pollyanna write those recommendations?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm talking about the people who pass even after the "lane ends - merge left/right - DO NOT PASS" signs. You know them: you can see them in your side mirror, racing up the near-empty lane, then flying past you, all the way to the merge point.

The government.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF

The government.

Pollyanna isn't always wrong. Try driving in most third-world countries for the opposing view.

I'll take "Orderly" for $200 Alex.

Not endorsing the cameras, however. They have them in China and they barely affect traffic violations.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Pollyanna isn't always wrong. Try driving in most third-world countries for the opposing view.

I'll take "Orderly" for $200 Alex.

Not endorsing the cameras, however. They have them in China and they barely affect traffic violations.

Yeah, traffic infractions abound, lane discipline is laughable, but the time I was over there, I never saw even a fender bender.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    For construction zones: It ain't the speed that "kills".

It's not paying attention. Not paying attention is just oftentimes exacerbated by being IN a construction zone. Narrow lanes, non-existant lane markings, equipment working near the travel lanes, etc.

A guy going 30mph can still kill someone; just as a guy going 60 can.

Too many inattentive people are causing the accidents.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    You know what would slow people down in construction zones? The same thing that would stop people from running red lights: having actual police officers at areas of high violation rate, issuing tickets.
    Be patient, I'm doing my best to get my patrol vehicle set up in the nearest construction zone to stop cars.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Not to thread jack, but...am I the only guy who sees one of those unmanned "YOUR SPEED IS XX" speed signs parked by the side of a road and floors it to see how high he can make it go?

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Not to thread jack, but...am I the only guy who sees one of those unmanned "YOUR SPEED IS XX" speed signs parked by the side of a road and floors it to see how high he can make it go?

Not anymore. I graduated from high school decades ago.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

If they didn't want you driving in the lane they would block the lane, which they do well before the construction begins. It is stupid to not drive in the lane that will be closing. Traffic just backs up that much further.

As for the merge, if people weren't being jerks on both sides an orderly merge would be very easy. One car from one lane goes then one from the other lane. Nice and easy, except people get in there and say "That jerk isn't getting in front of me!".

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I don't care whether they are red light cameras or speed cameras, I don't want any more cameras anywhere! I am ashamed that the sponsor is a member of the Republican Party. Things like this go against the ideas of freedom and personal responsibility, two ideas that are ostensibly part of the foundation of this country.

Top Bottom