• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Can one be built. Im not a big AR guy but I pondered if a Hunting legal AK can be built. Say 458 Socom, 450 Bushmaster or even a rimless handgun caliber.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    When I started researching Indiana deer rifles, oh probably 4-5 years ago, I ran across an old magazine article about someone who necked up a 7.62x39 for .358 bullets and built "Mini-35"s.

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/groza/9x39/9x39_info.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the page for a link to the article.

The person who was building the rifles no longer does the work... the article was from the early 90's... with wildcat rounds you can almost bet that someone has already tried it.

BFG Cartridges has their own version and might be able to point you to someone who can build a AK for you in their ".358 Gremlin". The brass is blown out a little compared to the 7.62x39 (like the 6.5mm Grendel), but with some work it would probably feed from the AK magazine.

Performance is similar to the .35 Remington which has been killing deer, bear, and more for 100 years.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Saiga 12 and Draco/Krink/AK pistols are already legal for deer.

What about a SBR??? Krink with a stock? Aren't those considered to be pistols under Federal law? Maybe they could slide in under Indiana law too. Sorry I'm not a deer hunter but the thought has intrigued me.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    BFG Cartridges has their own version and might be able to point you to someone who can build a AK for you in their ".358 Gremlin". The brass is blown out a little compared to the 7.62x39 (like the 6.5mm Grendel), but with some work it would probably feed from the AK magazine.

Performance is similar to the .35 Remington which has been killing deer, bear, and more for 100 years.

Thanks for that.

I don't have any interest in the AK platform - but did sell a set of reamers, gauges and dies to this shop - who planned on making 358 Gremlin AK's:

Gun Shop NH | Gun Shop MA | SL Gun Shop - Mason, New Hampshire NH

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    You are incorrect. A .30-06 in a pistol is legal in Indiana. Check your DNR regs again and look at pistol caliber requirements. Dracos are NOT rifles they are pistols and must abide by pistol regulations.
    I stand corrected as long as the barrel is over 4in looks like your good i wonder if you need a low cap mag?

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Well do you see any magazine capacity restrictions? :+1: for saying mag though, you know I'd drill you on that :laugh:
    I maybe young (25) but im a farmboy former marine/distinguished shooter/ scout sniper and im well school in firearms lol i love clips too but they only normally 5 to 10 rounds :D plus how many 25 year old's have a C&R and build firearms(and i dont count AR's):dunno:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Dammit you young guys! I'm just minding my own business reading this thread, and BOOM, I feel old! I have shirts older than some of you! :cool: Oh, and I have a C+R, too, so there.

Top Bottom