• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I was talking to the guy working at Dicks in greenwood today and he said one of the DNR guys he knows said there have been talks about removing the .44 mag as a legal deer round.

Anyone else heard this? My wife was gonna get me one for Christmas but no need to if that is true.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    That seems very unlikely. Why would they remove the .44 magnum, and still allow the .357 magnum? Or, on the other side, why would they still allow the .454 Casull or .500 S&W?

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    That sounds pretty much like BS to me. There's no logic in it and besides-FWIF-the best place to get bad info is from most retail salesmen at a large sporting goods store like Dick's.

Steve

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    If it were me, I wouldn't delay the purchase. It was a pretty major change when they starting allowing those calibers, and to take them away just as quickly doesn't seem realistic.

What are you looking at buying?

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Indiana isn't going to repeal the use of "pistol caliber" rifles -- they have been the best thing to happen to stagnated deer hunting. Allowing them has attracted a lot of new hunters, in addition to hunters who had previously given up deer hunting. Everyone is excited to finally free themselves of the shotgun stigma and start hunting with something a little cheaper to shoot, and a lot more accurate. Can you imagine the uproar created by thousands of Hoosiers who bought these rifles to hunt with if the IDNR was to reverse its decision? The IDNR would never "cut its own throat", so to speak.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Indiana isn't going to repeal the use of "pistol caliber" rifles -- they have been the best thing to happen to stagnated deer hunting. Allowing them has attracted a lot of new hunters, in addition to hunters who had previously given up deer hunting. Everyone is excited to finally free themselves of the shotgun stigma and start hunting with something a little cheaper to shoot, and a lot more accurate. Can you imagine the uproar created by thousands of Hoosiers who bought these rifles to hunt with if the IDNR was to reverse its decision? The IDNR would never "cut its own throat", so to speak.

I SURE hope not. My 1894 has not killed NEARLY enough deer yet! 6 deer is not even CLOSE to paying for itself!

joshennis84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Bloomington
    Yeah, I've even heard that there has been talk about allowing the 30-30 next year. I don't see it happening, but if you were wanting to wait, that's what I'd be waiting on. I'd rather hunt with a 30-30 if I could. Just me. Don't take that to the bank because that is just heresay, and I doubt they pass it anyways, but still.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Took the plunge. Picked one up at dicks today. 469.00 on sale, had 20 rewards bucks and a 10.00 off online coupon. Couldnt pass up 439.00.

All I could find in stock today was Hornady XTP 240 grain. Excited to take it out tomorrow.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Took the plunge. Picked one up at dicks today. 469.00 on sale, had 20 rewards bucks and a 10.00 off online coupon. Couldnt pass up 439.00.

All I could find in stock today was Hornady XTP 240 grain. Excited to take it out tomorrow.

thats a great price. i like the addition to handgun calibers. i dont use one but i think its great for people (like my girlfriend) who are recoil senstive to hand a prefectlly capable round to hunt with and not have the recoil.

fyi im not saying a 44-357 or any other handgun cals are just good for women or kids

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

thats a great price. i like the addition to handgun calibers. i dont use one but i think its great for people (like my girlfriend) who are recoil senstive to hand a prefectlly capable round to hunt with and not have the recoil.

fyi im not saying a 44-357 or any other handgun cals are just good for women or kids

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yeah, I've even heard that there has been talk about allowing the 30-30 next year. I don't see it happening, but if you were wanting to wait, that's what I'd be waiting on. I'd rather hunt with a 30-30 if I could. Just me. Don't take that to the bank because that is just heresay, and I doubt they pass it anyways, but still.

JUST in case they DO, I bought a used Marlin 336 in 30/30 last year, for $225.25!:rockwoot:

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I also have heard the rumor about allowing the 30-30. I have aslo heard small talk about allowing all rifle calibers. I don't see why not, since we are able to shoot varmits with anything.

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    That sounds pretty much like BS to me. There's no logic in it and besides-FWIF-the best place to get bad info is from most retail salesmen at a large sporting goods store like Dick's.

Steve

Don't get me wrong, I know you said "most" retail salesmen...but...

The guys up in the Lodge at the Dick's in Greenwood are pretty avid hunters, especially John, the manager up there. I've spent quite a bit of time up there chewing the fat and a few of them really know their stuff.

As far a the logic in it... nothing would surprise me as far as them changing the rules again.

Kimber7man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lawrence
    FWIW I'd spend my time talking to Doug and the guys at the Outdoorsman long before I'd spend time talking to any at Gander, Dicks, or other "sporting goods" stores... YMMV

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    They really should approve cartridges that were developed before 1900 - that way I can get my "bigmedicine" 1895 .405 winchester into the tree stand next year. Note that there is no logic in my post, only passion :)

UTANICK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Borden, IN
    (the marlin 1894 in 44) I bought one 8 yrs ago for cowboy shooting competition
    (a highly recomended model), after a couple thousand rounds, I still love it. I also deer hunt with it some times. If you shoot it alot, tighten the side screws.

Top Bottom