• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    I was looking at this supposed FEMA sample fallout pattern...and things dont look terribly bright for Indiana in case of a nuclear shoot out. Lotsa red.

Now this just apparently shows the weather patterns pulling fallout from western targets over us. It got me thinking though...what, if any, bases in Indiana do you think would be likely targets in such a scenario? Is NSWC Crane gonna get smoked? Atterbury? I've heard Jefferson Proving Grounds is a little more active now-a-days (though I have no firsthand knowledge) What about Ft. Knox? If it gets hit, would that dump fallout on us?

I really have no idea how much of a surrounding area would even be livable after a direct hit. Is everything withing 10 miles dust? 50 miles?

If we are talking about a true TEOTWAWKI scenario...is it silly to worry about someone crossing your back 40? Considering half the state is glowing anyways?

Radioactive_Fallout_Pattern.jpg

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    First, a local hit damage area would be determined by the size of the bomb. Most terrorist would not have anything approaching the US or Russian mega-bombs, so witness Hiroshima and how long it took to get back to normal after being hit by a small air burst. A local dirty bomb would be deadly until it rained. As long as our water treatment plants could remove the radioactive material, dirty bombs are only dangerous when you breath the particles.

With any fallout, what I was always taught in the past, is if you get any suspected radioactive dust on you, as long as you don't breath it in, take a shower and wash it off. I seem to remember that from the old duck and cover days of the "Cold War". Wow, am I really that old???????

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I would think Crane NWSC will be one of the first bases to go in a nuclear strike. They are an ammo depot amongst other things.

Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    Let's assume for discussions sake that this is not a terrorist with a dirty bomb scenario, rather that this is a massive exchange between nations.

Big boy nukes and serious targets.

I wouldnt think that Indianapolis is high on a list of cities important enough to get rid of...but what about the bases?

Lets say Crane does get it...how does that affect the rest of the state?

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Don't forget, Lake County is one huge, high-value target. Any fallout would go across the northern part of the state.
    Not to mention a strike on Cook Nuclear Plant in MI would send fallout toward South Bend.

Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    Don't forget, Lake County is one huge, high-value target. Any fallout would go across the northern part of the state.
    Not to mention a strike on Cook Nuclear Plant in MI would send fallout toward South Bend.

In regards to NWI, I've heard that everything north of Lafayette would be glass...dunno if that is realistic or exaggerating.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Indianapolis is/was a major target! I took an Indiana Studies course and found out some crazy information about Indy and the cold war.

Since many major roads (thus the crossroads of America) meet here in Indy, it would cripple our transportation system. Also, in Avon (where I went to High School) is ConRail, and at the time of the war was a major RailRoad loaction. This would also cripple the flow of supplies.

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    I'd have to know a lot more about industry in Indy. Ft.Wayne is or was high on the list because of the wire die industry (They supplied most of them for the free world) and the two big wire plants. At one time Zollner Pistons was the largest manufacturer of pistons in the U.S. All that may be different now. You just have to know what critical industries are in your locale in addition to the transportation hubs.

The other thing is those maps are the general sweeps through the year. When the balloon goes up there could be an arctic airflow driving everything south - or be on the back side of a front causing winds out of the east. Day to Day may be a lot different than the general pattern.

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    I think zoglog has this one right. Terrorists look for "soft targets" and have discussed bringing their fight to the midwest. Why? Because if a terrorist incident happens in the midwest on an otherwise unassuming target, people will go nuts! The idea that "no where is safe" would wreak absolute havoc. Indiana does have important infrastructure that are potential targets...

thecanuck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I think if we're talking big-boy bombs there is any number of targets in Indiana that would be open to attack... especially with Indianapolis being the hub it is...

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Ft. Wayne also has a good amount of Defense contractors as well as a Raw Supply Depot just outside of New Haven. I'm not sure how much is still there but they had a big stockpile when I used to live up that way.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    Columbus was a secondary target during the Cuban Missile Crisis thanks to Cummins Engine Company. Indiana is actually a pretty high value target because of all the different factories and roads. Atterbury is another possible target because it's a federal military base and is on a rail line. Crane is another. There's a lot of high value targets for a big nuclear exchange.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Targets...
    First are we talking Strategic or Tactical, Primary, Secondary, or Targets of Opportunity?!
    As has been pointed out by others Indiana has several targets. Not just for the big boys that get thrown around, but also for the little dirty ones too. Pull up a National map and look at all the roadways, rail lines, airports, and other transportation assets we have routed through or near our State. Not to mention actual industry. Indiana's industry is a large supplier to the Military. From main suppliers such as Cummins to Frito-Lay to various smaller shops supplying parts for Military components. Indiana is a pretty sweet target.

As far as fall-out.
    Those maps are a good way to shock you into thought of what if's... Fallout can and will travel quite a distance, or it could just as easily stay around the targeted area. Depending on weather and atmospheric conditions. There is and are a lot of good American and Canadian Government and Military studies on this subject...

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I think everyone is contributing interesting ideas/facts. I also forgot that the Eagle Hub at the airport was the back up spot for the US Mail. Big moral buster if we cannot communicate anymore.

Also MEPS, Military Entry Processing Station, in Lawrence is the second biggest defense building behind the Pentagon! Believe it or not, but Indy is a great spot for infrastructure, mail, and military assets.

Good thing we have this site to link us all together, WOLVERINES!!!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Also MEPS, Military Entry Processing Station, in Lawrence is the second biggest defense building behind the Pentagon!

Depends on how you measure the largest building...

The Pentagon takes up more land in the footprint of the building.

However, MEPS has more square footage in the building.
    Plus the building is actually not well known for its MEPS function in the Military. The building is actually DFAS to us in the Military. DFAS stands for Defense Finance Accounting Service. IF you get paid by ANY Branch of the Military your pay comes from this building... :D

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    A lot also depends on how the Jet Stream pattern is on where the fall-out is going to go along with the type of burst (below ground, ground level, air-burst, etc...). Along with how much dust was stirred up at the detonation site...

Top Bottom