• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Pretty interesting video I found. I realize these days about anything is possible, but with all the deaths that have occurred in Haiti, Chile, and China.. is Indiana ready for a quake? What would you do if everything started shaking? Are you prepared to go weeks maybe months without electricity? Is your food supply shortening out or are you stocked up? Are you prepared to handle looters?

I for one better get out and start making some new friends because I'm nowhere near prepared.

Here's the video:
    A major quake could shake the South

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    When I was in SAR they told us that if that let loose there would be command posts in Ft. Wayne and Chicago, everything south of that would be in a world of hurt....... if you Google search it though it seems that it is not much of a threat now and the tension in the fault seems to be going away.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    I saw an article some time ago that mentioned the last big one for the New Madrid fault would have exceeded the casualties of the San Fransisco earthquake, if the area would have been as populated as San Fran was at the time. Must have been a real doozy!

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Governments might rise and rall apart. Natural disasters will happen.

As a man much older and wiser than me once said on the issue of preparation. "You have no business preparing for a terrorist attack, or collapse of government, until you are prepared for natural disasters." A major disaster will happen, its just a matter of time. And no Indiana is not ready yet, but we are holding region wide quake exercises coming up in 2012, lets just hope thats not to late.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    i think a BIG quake will happen in indiana, it not gonna be pretty, many who are prepared will still die instantly when their houses or job buildings collapse on them. earthquakes are NO JOKE, im seriously just waiting for it to happen.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    i think a BIG quake will happen in indiana, it not gonna be pretty, many who are prepared will still die instantly when their houses or job buildings collapse on them. earthquakes are NO JOKE, im seriously just waiting for it to happen.

I live onder a poncho in a feild so I am good unless the earth splits and swollows me up :D

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    As a man much older and wiser than me once said on the issue of preparation. "You have no business preparing for a terrorist attack, or collapse of government, until you are prepared for natural disasters."

The good news is that much of the preparation is actually the same. That's why discussions of "do you think SHTF will actually happen?" are amusing. If you are properly prepared, you can weather many different disasters- from personal to regional to national/international. Make preparations around training, food, water, shelter, fuel/power, money/trade goods, transportation, and security and you will be prepared for most problems.

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Governments might rise and rall apart. Natural disasters will happen.

As a man much older and wiser than me once said on the issue of preparation. "You have no business preparing for a terrorist attack, or collapse of government, until you are prepared for natural disasters." A major disaster will happen, its just a matter of time. And no Indiana is not ready yet, but we are holding region wide quake exercises coming up in 2012, lets just hope thats not to late.

Agreed 100%, the local Indianapolis and surrounding hospitals have and will be continueing conducting quake excercises. According to the video there is a 7-10% chance of it happening in the next 50 years. It's funny this was posted on the weather channel (which is always wrong). With all the quakes that have been happening recently I agree with E5RANGER375, it's just a matter of time and I for one am also waiting. No I don't think Indiana is at all prepared and will be total caos if the "big one" hits.

I spent 5 years working as a MP for the Indiana Army National Guard and I can say (unless something has changed in the last few years) our unit is nowhere near ready to be federalized due to the lack in supplies.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The earthquake that will hit this area sometime could be large, it could be small. In geological terms it can happen any time, on human terms the odds of it happening in our lifetimes is low. I've keeping abreast of ongoing sediment and cave speleothem dating some fellow geologists have been doing from recent times (geologically recent in this case means 40-50 thousand years) up to a couple million years back and the data is suggesting that in this area the last New Madrid earthquake was among the biggest that fault system has produced, but it was not an isolated event.

As far as being ready: Indiana is as ready as most places are to handle such an event, which is a long way away from being as ready as it is reasonable to be. I can say from my work with the IDHS that the folks in charge of disaster response in Indiana are very aware of it, but aren't very far along in planning for it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Planning for preparedness is the EASY part.

Paying for and implementing the changes needed is nigh on impossible.

Know how many bridges in Indiana are EQ compliant? Only a few.

Know how many bridges there are in Indiana? THOUSANDS.

Can't replace them all...Can't even afford to replace the necessary ones on the necessary roads.

"Thankfully", the zone of most concern is a zone from I-70 south and from I-65 west.

Something else to be thankful about...the New Madrid fault system is relatively active. Several small quakes happen frequently. Current logic being that these smaller EQs act as stress relievers before enough force gets built up for a "big one" to let rip.

Yeah...it'll happen eventually. Just like the Yellowstone Caldera eruption.

-J-

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I work in Louisville across the Ohio River. A good friend who was a Ranger Medic also works across the river. We carry supplies and have a meetup point near boat docks should anything like this happen that would close the bridges around here. We both have kids and will be getting home to them one way or another. My kiddos are 10 and 13, they both know what to do, where to go (son can walk home from his school, daughter has a friend close to her school where I will pick her up). They know daddy will get to them somehow.

There have been more 6.0 or greater earthquakes so far this year than all of last year. I am apprehensive about the New Madrid fault and what it could do.

swatdoc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Franklin
    I used to sit on a regional hospital disaster preparedness committee. We were told by the 'experts' from state geological that damage in the central Indiana area would be rather light as a result of a New Madrid quake. Our hospitals would need to be prepared to accept patients from southern Indiana as more extensive damage would be expected there with possible damage to their facilities. Still, though, the outlook overall was less than gloom and doom. Less than what I expected, to be honest.

But I agree with the overall notion that being prepared, whether it be for earthquake or whatever, is the best plan of action.

huey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    SW IND
    what to tell them

if anyone asks WHY you have extra food,guns and ammo
    just say

how long in hati and chili did it take befor thay were looting and stealing food from each other

anwser less then 24 hours

Top Bottom