• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Imagine that, a Republican who is actually a conservative getting smacked for it in the party now dominated by RINOs. It would seem that the enlightened leaders really don't want to consider legislation on its merit but rather on its political expedience. Both are bad news so far as I am concerned since one is welfare to people who often refuse to help themselves and the other is welfare only available to larger (generally corporate) 'farmers' who often delight in helping themselves to our money through buying politicians.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    He said it himself, if you are on the team, you vote how the team wants you to. Now he isn't on the team, he can vote his conscience. Not sure why this is news to anyone? I'd be more interested in hearing specifically WHY he voted the way he did.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I think Marlin's problem is he wants to make sure them poor people don't eat while keeping his fat farm subsidy untouched so he eats well. I regret that he represents me.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I predict that ultimately this will be a feather in Mr. Stutzman's cap.
    No one can possibly explain how these two issues belong tied together.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    I caught some of the DumbocRats complaining about the other side, and how they are way off course, hurting the needy, the children, and it is baseless to not vote to raise the national debt [although the Senate failed to submit a budget for years], and that Kenyan Kare had nothing to do with Food Stamps which should be included in the Ag bill, which is in the budget, which the Republicans should vote for. I had to change stations as it was sickening to listen to all the BS. If this is behavior in Congress goes much further, we are going to look like Europe, specifically Greece.

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    I know of very few farms that aren't "corporate". A very few are not family, either sole proprietor, brothers, or generational. Programs are open to any farm larger than 20 acres. I don't like the farm programs because they tend to shift profits to the commodities market from farmers. I also don't like dis-information.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008

Sure someone can Me! Forty years ago I spent 9 months doing some work in the food stamp program. The program was under the US Department of Agriculture because it had a dual purpose: (1) helping use the agricultural production surplus (food) and thus paying farmers by (2) feeding the poor.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Sure someone can Me! Forty years ago I spent 9 months doing some work in the food stamp program. The program was under the US Department of Agriculture because it had a dual purpose: (1) helping use the agricultural production surplus (food) and thus paying farmers by (2) feeding the poor.

EBT lobster and steak are a far cry from the government cheese of 40 years ago. Split the programs, better yet eliminate both.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I was made aware of a website called EWG Farm Subsidies some time ago,and began looking at the funding for farms in our county.I happen to know members of the farm families in this area and so began asking questions..I hear over and again that is is impossible to be competitive in the farming industry if you are not receiving the Gov. funds. To me this seems to indicate that our food is already controlled by .Gov.

-Jake-

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    NWI
    I know of very few farms that aren't "corporate". A very few are not family, either sole proprietor, brothers, or generational. Programs are open to any farm larger than 20 acres. I don't like the farm programs because they tend to shift profits to the commodities market from farmers. I also don't like dis-information.

Maybe in Indiana... Where I'm from (Missouri) the majority are still family ran. My uncle farms over 10k acres. It is the same land his great grandpa farmed.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

I'm pretty sure you just made my case, friend.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'm pretty sure you just made my case, friend.

I would say that there is merit to the argument that the two are properly taken together as both are extra-constitutional power grabs put in place with no authority to do so and should both be summarily eliminated.

jmemmert

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    The current subsidies provided to farmers is a approximately $20 per acre. When renting ground, it is difficult not to take the payments as your competitors that do take them would have a $20 an acre advantage in their cash rent bid. What I am trying to say is that with this system, the subsidies are essentially passed on to the land owners. It is reflected in cash rental rates. I am a farmer, and believe that the subsidies need to go... Along with food stamps.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Subsidies distort markets.

The Farm bill is basically corporate welfare disguised as farm welfare. But farmers don't need welfare-- most do fairly well, thank you very much, there is no shortage of other farm-specific benefits to help them when bad years come. Crop subsidies are a terrible idea.

Ethanol is just one of the worst. We end up paying MORE for our food, so that we can run less efficient fuel in our cars and inflict more--not less-- harm to the planet as we do so. It is INSANITY.

But the Corn lobby is among the most powerful around. That's why corn-based products are in *everything* we eat, directly or indirectly.

My distaste for subsidies in general and the Farm Bills in particular cannot be overstated.

Top Bottom