• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    IMHO if you know of a law or a case that is squarely on your side you cite it. If you don't or you know that there is a problem with your position you bluff and make vague references.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    "I do not ever want to be put into a situation where I have to call the spouse or family member of one of our employees and tell them their loved one won't be coming home tonight because a fellow employee went to their car, got a gun, and shot a co-worker," ArcelorMittal USA CEO Michael Rippey wrote in a letter to Gov. Mitch Daniels one day after the Indiana General Assembly approved the legislation in March.

He might be a businessman, but another ignorant person with no sense.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I am sure a lot of companies are going to try the intimidation route. The one I love is the designated parking lot for those that have guns in their car. Why don't we just put a neon sign "GUN INSIDE STEAL ME" on each car.

Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    /tinfoil hat on.

Just hypothesizing, but I wouldn't doubt that there is something buried in the Patriot Act that affords steel mills special protection as a special type of business due to their potential national impact. Right up there with nuclear power plants I suppose.

TPTB would probably charge Joe six-pack with terrorism for keeping a personal defense weapon locked up in his truck.

/tinfoil hat off. (well, maybe just loosened)

Last edited:

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    I think in many of the mittel steel mils in N.W. Ind the people park inside the the mills, and the plant protection force has the right to search when you drive out of the mill.Or you can park in a non secure lot out side of the mill and walk into the mill and to your place of work, it may be a 1-2 mile walk.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    It doesn't really matter; it's not like the company is going to search your vehicle.

Some companies do.

You are under no legal obligation to allow the search - you would just need to find a new job if you choose not to.

One company did a search for drugs in their parking lot and then fired all the employees that had guns in their vehicles.
    That's what started similar legislation years ago in Oklahoma.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Some companies do.

You are under no legal obligation to allow the search - you would just need to find a new job if you choose not to.

One company did a search for drugs in their parking lot and then fired all the employees that had guns in their vehicles.

Yes, and they timed it with the beginning of hunting season!

dooleydclown

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Somewhere between Indy and Carmel
    While there may be a federal law that covers the mill, not siting it sure sounds suspicious to me. If you had to walk very far from an off site parking lot in some of those areas you might want to carry anyway. In the article they talk about not wanting be in a position of having to notify a family someone has been shot, like that can't happen anyway.

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    "I do not ever want to be put into a situation where I have to call the spouse or family member of one of our employees and tell them their loved one won't be coming home tonight because a fellow employee went to their car, got a gun, and shot a co-worker," ArcelorMittal USA CEO Michael Rippey wrote in a letter to Gov. Mitch Daniels one day after the Indiana General Assembly approved the legislation in March.

Here, let me fix that for you.

"I do not ever want to be put into a situation where I have to call the spouse or family member of one of our employees and tell them their loved one won't be coming home tonight because a fellow employee went to their house, got a gun, and shot a co-worker," ArcelorMittal USA CEO Michael Rippey wrote in a letter to Gov. Mitch Daniels one day after the Indiana General Assembly approved the legislation in March.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Some companies do.

Oh crap...................I better stop hiding my drugs inside my guns;)

Snayperskaya

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Indy Northwest
    If I were going to shoot someone at work, I really don't think a "no guns" policy would stop me. At this point I already do not have any regard for the law, so what is some print going to do to keep me from doing what I am going to do? Unless this un-cited federal law has a magic gun transmogrification device that will turn my gun into a "Save the whales" bumper sticker when I walk through the door, I don't really think it will make a difference.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    If I were going to shoot someone at work, I really don't think a "no guns" policy would stop me. At this point I already do not have any regard for the law, so what is some print going to do to keep me from doing what I am going to do? Unless this un-cited federal law has a magic gun transmogrification device that will turn my gun into a "Save the whales" bumper sticker when I walk through the door, I don't really think it will make a difference.

I am trying to get my head around the fact that if somebody is going to break the law to kill somebody, how a law preventing them from keeping a gun in their car would somehow stop them. Geeze... some people are flat out stupid.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I drive into Mittal, USS, and BP several times each day. In order to get a pass to enter these plants you sign a form stating that you will submit yourself and your vehicle to random searches. Finding a gun during one of these searches is grounds for immediate termination. Now with this new law, searches will continue, but immediate terminations will be very interesting. These companies are making huge profits on Indiana soil, and therefore must abide by the rules of my great state. If they want to make their own laws, we Hoosiers need to band together and tell them NO. If they want to persist in acting like Nazis maybe we need to kick them out of Indiana. Democracy only works when we all abide by the laws of our government, when someone believes the law doesn't apply to them, then all Hell usually breaks out. Lets hope these companies come to their senses.

Top Bottom