• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ashenfang

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Did some homework over on Handgunlaw.us but want to make sure I am reading everything right. Some friends are taking a vacation up to the UP of Michigan. However, to get there, they are going up through Chicago (dread), up the coast of Wisconsin before finally reaching the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

From the information I have read, this is what I gather;

IN Carry permit is honored in Michigan and must carry concealed. (Gun may be left in locked vehicle if going somewhere where carry is not permitted)

IN Carry permit is honored in Wisconsin and must carry concealed. (Gun my be left in locked vehicle if going somewhere where carry is not permitted)

IN Permit is NOT honored in Illinois/Chicago, however, they are permitted to travel with a LOADED firearm as long as the gun stays in the vehicle. The gun may not leave the vehicle for any reason. BUT I have heard Chicago is a different animal even though it IS part of Illinois. Just looking for advice and tips for those who have traveled through this area before. I included some information below.

Illinois
    You must have a valid
    resident
    Permit/License
    from your home state
    to Carry a Loaded Handgun in a Vehicle
    in Illinois.
    Section 40
    (e)
    Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non
    -
    resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in
    Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non
    -
    resident:
    (1)
    is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
    (2)
    is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
    (3)
    is not in possession of a license under this Act. If the n
    on
    -
    resident leaves his or her vehicle
    Unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the
    vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
    Subsection (b) of Sec
    tion 65 States:
    (b)
    Notwithstanding subsections (a), (a
    -
    5), and (a
    -
    10) of this Section except under paragraph (22) or (23) of
    subsection (a), any licensee prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm into the parking area of a prohibited location
    specifie
    d in subsection (a), (a
    -
    5), or (a
    -
    10) of this Section shall be permitted to carry a concealed firearm on or about
    his or her person within a vehicle into the parking area and may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case
    within a locked vehicle or
    locked container out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area. A licensee may
    carry a concealed firearm in the immediate area surrounding his or her vehicle within a prohibited parking lot area
    only for the limited purpose of storing or retriev
    ing a firearm within the vehicle's
    trunk, provided the licensee ensures the concealed firearm is unloaded prior to exiting the vehicle. For purposes of
    this subsection, "case" includes a glove compartment or console that completely encloses the concealed f
    irearm or
    ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container.
    Section 5. Definitions. As used in this Act:
    "Concealed firearm" means a loaded or unloaded handgun carried on or about a person completely or mo
    stly
    concealed from view of the public or on or about a person within a
    vehicle.
    Note:
    If you have a permit/license to carry from your state of residence you can carry that loaded handgun in your
    vehicle while traveling through Illinois. You can’t leave
    your vehicle with a loaded handgun. You must unload it and
    store it as specified in the law below.
    (b)
    Notwithstanding subsections (a), (a
    -
    5), and (a
    -
    10) of this Section except under paragraph (22) or (23) of
    subsection (a), any licensee prohibited from c
    arrying a concealed firearm into the parking area of a prohibited location
    specified in subsection (a), (a
    -
    5), or (a
    -
    10) of this Section shall be permitted to carry a concealed firearm on or about

Last edited:

MooreALX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Hartford City
    I am not familiar with the laws in Illinois or Wisconsin, but, in Michigan, when you come in contact with any law enforcement officers, you are required to immediately notify then that you are carrying.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I'm in Wisconsin rather often, and have done some research on carrying there.

Some useful information for Wisconsin:

• Is NOT a "must inform officer" state.
    • No weapons or firearms signs posted at private businesses DOES hold the weight of the law.
    • Absolutely no alcohol while carrying.
    • Carry is ALLOWED in establishments that serve alcohol.
    • Carry is ALLOWED in parks.
    • From my understanding, open carry is allowed. (you might want to look that up yourself, as I may not be remembering correctly. I don't OC, and tend to only remember laws that apply to me. Sorry)
    I hope that helps some!

Last edited:

ashenfang

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    I'm in Wisconsin rather often, and have done some research on carrying there.

Some useful information for Wisconsin:

• Is NOT a "must inform officer" state.
    • Not weapons or firearms signs posted at private businesses DOES hold the weight of the law.
    • Absolutely no alcohol while carrying.
    • Carry is ALLOWED in establishments that serve alcohol.
    • Carry is ALLOWED in parks.
    • From my understanding, open carry is allowed. (you might want to look that up yourself, as I may not be remembering correctly. I don't OC, and tend to only remember laws that apply to me. Sorry)
    I hope that helps some!

Thanks for info. The stay in Wisconsin is only for one night. The majority of the trip is in Michigan.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...From the information I have read, this is what I gather;

IN Carry permit is honored in Michigan and must carry concealed...

IN Carry permit is honored in Wisconsin and must carry concealed...

Where did you read that handguns must be concealed while in either of these states?

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    There is nothing different about Chicago. They DO have an assault weapons ban, but as far as handguns carried in vehicles by those licensed in other states, they are no different than the rest of the state.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Michigan is not a CC only state. OC is perfectly legal although, as with other states, it is more acceptable in some areas than in others.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    I wouldn't be surprised if you were to get harassed/arrested in Chicago or anywhere in Cook County for that matter, despite it being legal to carry in your car.

Armed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Michiana
    I thought mi was cc only can u provide a link? I live right on the in/mi line so I frequent mi often, and Ive been worried about my sweat shirt flying up and showing my piece when I'm cruising on my bike. When I'm in IN I always oc while riding but when I cross into mi I do my best to cover up.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I thought mi was cc only can u provide a link? I live right on the in/mi line so I frequent mi often, and Ive been worried about my sweat shirt flying up and showing my piece when I'm cruising on my bike. When I'm in IN I always oc while riding but when I cross into mi I do my best to cover up.

Michigan is an open carry state. You only need a permit to conceal, if you are a resident. No permit needed to OC, and you can absolutely OC with your LTCH.

43 states allow OC. It's much more common than some like to think.

Top Bottom