• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Sorry to get off topic, but with 83 acres, not much "guiding" should be required.

There are more than a few "ranches" around where one could walk out into the feedlot and pop one if that's what one was inclined to do.

The Dakotas aren't that far of a drive.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I tried once but my "guide" wasn't worth anything. Should have seen the people run when I pulled out my .357. Never allowed in the Potawatomi Zoo again. I did get a few shots at prairie dogs @ about 3 yards with my .22 though.

cain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Newburgh, IN
    We went to a hunting preserve in tennessee last September that has buffalo. Doesn't seem like much of a hunt. Definitely magnificent animals and got to see two but heads at about 50 yards. When the two collided it shook the ground. Awesome experience!

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Any hunt you do in Indiana is going to be on a farm. If you headed west to Kansas, Nebraska, S. Dakota, N. Dakota it would be more of a fair chase. I have read about ranches out there that are 50,000+ acres. Otherwise you need to head to places like Yellowstone and the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Twenty years ago there was a huntable free-roaming heard of bison in an off-shoot of the Grand Canyon. The issue was getting it out after the hunt. Since it was designated wilderness no motorized vehicles are allowed. Horse/mules are the only way to back out a 1500 pound animal there. I think Custer State Park in South Dakota has penned hunts to thin the wild herd. Yellowstone has occasional hunts when they wander out of the park.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    You can hunt free range bison in Wyoming, but you have to get on the Wild Bison Hunt priority waiting list and be willing to pony up +/-$1600 for the tag. They call you when your name comes to the top of the list once the bison wander out of Grand Teton park. You have basically 24 hours to return the call and then have to get yourself out to Wyoming ASAP. If you don't get the call made in time, they cross your name off and go to the next group of names on the list.

There are many ranch hunt opportunities in Wyoming, Colorado, North/South Dakota on large ranches. That is on my list of "to do" hunts. You can make it as difficult or as easy as you are willing to pay for and hunt as big or as small a bison as you are willing to pay for.

Dirty Steve

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    There are some buffalos and longhorns at the Morgan farm just outside of Austin! Nice to look at but don't think I want to go to jail! They also got a hughe all jet black colored one. I'm not sure if it is a cross breed but it is HUGE!

Top Bottom