• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    No because I support the rights of the states and the citizens of those states. Remember, I am one of those who loves the idea of federal nationwide carry but still argues against it because I believe it to be an unconstitutional violation of states rights.

States do not have rights of any kind. States have powers.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Because this is totally a government issue and not a state issue… :rolleyes: Social issues is not a federal issue but rather a state issue… BS in my opinion that there even was a ruling.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Not even remotely the same. There is a world of difference between applying the 14th amendment to racial discrimination and judicial redefinition of legal terms.

For example when the laws against interracial marriage were struck down was the term marriage in anyway redefined? The answer is no. Certain prohibited marriages became allowed. The definition of what constituted marriage remained the same.
    To play my favorite game "Devil's Advocate"

Sure they did. Way back in the olden days when anti-miscegenation laws were legal, marriage, by default, was defined as 1 black+1 black or 1 white+1 white but is WAS NOT defined as 1 white+ 1 black. By barring certain races from marrying each other you are defining what a legal marriage is. Striking down the anti-miscegenation laws did redefine marriage by race. Now, by sex.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Define your terms please.

power[ pou-er ]
    noun
    1. ability to do or act; capability of doing or accomplishing something.
    2. political or national strength: the balance of power in Europe.

right[ rahyt ]

noun
    1. a just claim or title, whether legal, prescriptive, or moral: You have a right to say what you please.
    2. that which is due to anyone by just claim, legal guarantees, moral principles, etc.: women's rights; Freedom of speech is a right of all Americans.
    3. adherence or obedience to moral and legal principles and authority.
    4. that which is morally, legally, or ethically proper: to know right from wrong.
    5. a moral, ethical, or legal principle considered as an underlying cause of truth, justice, morality, or ethics.

I stopped there because "right" has many definitions, the ones after 5 are not relevant to this discussion.

The federal government doesn't "owe" the states anything. The constitution empowers the states to create laws that are not contrary to the constitution. The courts interpret the constitution. If they say a law is unconstitutional, it's void and the states can't do anything except appeal and hope it's overturned.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    To play my favorite game "Devil's Advocate"

Sure they did. Way back in the olden days when anti-miscegenation laws were legal, marriage, by default, was defined as 1 black+1 black or 1 white+1 white but is WAS NOT defined as 1 white+ 1 black. By barring certain races from marrying each other you are defining what a legal marriage is. Striking down the anti-miscegenation laws did redefine marriage by race. Now, by sex.

There is a difference between making certain marriages illegal, and redefining marriage to include something wasn't before. Go read the old laws. They didn't purport to define the term, rather they criminalized certain unions already within the term.

There is a difference.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    power[ pou-er ]
    noun
    1. ability to do or act; capability of doing or accomplishing something.
    2. political or national strength: the balance of power in Europe.

right[ rahyt ]

noun
    1. a just claim or title, whether legal, prescriptive, or moral: You have a right to say what you please.
    2. that which is due to anyone by just claim, legal guarantees, moral principles, etc.: women's rights; Freedom of speech is a right of all Americans.
    3. adherence or obedience to moral and legal principles and authority.
    4. that which is morally, legally, or ethically proper: to know right from wrong.
    5. a moral, ethical, or legal principle considered as an underlying cause of truth, justice, morality, or ethics.

I stopped there because "right" has many definitions, the ones after 5 are not relevant to this discussion.

The federal government doesn't "owe" the states anything. The constitution empowers the states to create laws that are not contrary to the constitution. The courts interpret the constitution. If they say a law is unconstitutional, it's void and the states can't do anything except appeal and hope it's overturned.
    If you think the states derive their power to legislate from the federal Constitution you have a fundamental misunderstanding of both American history and government.

The states existed as sovereign entities prior to them ratifying the Constitution. They do not derive their power from it.

The Federal Constitution is fundamentally a list of powers the states ceded voluntarily to their newly formed federal government. Not the other way around.

Go reread the 10th amendment.

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    this decision does not affect me in any way personally - however ther words "pursuit of happiness" mean something. if a gay couples pursuit of happiness means they want to get married, who is anyone else to say that they cannot? IMO it is unconstitutional to prevent such couples from doing so. marraige is not the business of the federal government, but ensuring all citizens rights are preserved is the duty of the government (even though we have seen attacks on such things)

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    If you think the states derive their power to legislate from the federal Constitution you have a fundamental misunderstanding of both American history and government.

The states existed as sovereign entities prior to them ratifying the Constitution. They do not derive their power from it.

The Federal Constitution is fundamentally a list of powers the states ceded voluntarily to their newly formed federal government. Not the other way around.

Go reread the 10th amendment.

If only more understood this. Further, that which is delegated can be pulled back. That is a discussion for another day/thread.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound

The fact that they used to be sovereign entities before the constitution is irrelevant because it's not the case anymore. They willingly ratified the constitution fully aware that they were about to lose some powers in favor of a united national government. They agreed that the constitution is the supreme law of the land, and everyone had to follow it. That's one reason why they added the amendment that says basically anything that's not covered or doesn't run contrary to the constitution is up to the states or the people.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    The fact that they used to be sovereign entities before the constitution is irrelevant because it's not the case anymore. They willingly ratified the constitution fully aware that they were about to lose some powers in favor of a united national government. They agreed that the constitution is the supreme law of the land, and everyone had to follow it. That's one reason why they added the amendment that says basically anything that's not covered or doesn't run contrary to the constitution is up to the states or the people.
    So the first premise of our system of government is now irrelevant? I suggest you read the Federalist papers.

Even the federal courts still pretend to recognize state sovereignty.

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    So the first premise of our system of government is now irrelevant? I suggest you read the Federalist papers.

As well as the history of the States following the ratification of the Constitution, South Carolina's nullification acts of the late 1820s, the VA and KY resolutions as a start.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    There is a difference between making certain marriages illegal, and redefining marriage to include something wasn't before. Go read the old laws. They didn't purport to define the term, rather they criminalized certain unions already within the term.

There is a difference.

Perhaps...I still don't see the harm in this. I cannot fathom standing in the way of 2 consenting adults who love each other and want their relationship legal like every one else. We may whine and cry that marriage should mean nothing different to the government but it does and always will. The fact that homosexuality, once a very taboo subject never acknowledged in public policy, is now accepted means that our legal views regarding them will/should change.

Top Bottom