• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Then how would the decision of this judge change the amount of "hate" somebody might "feel"?
    Changing peoples hatred and mindsets was not the goal of this ruling. It was righting a wrong and making sure that the state respected the Rights of our gay and lesbian citizens. Haters have to change themselves, you can't fix stupid.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Changing peoples hatred and mindsets was not the goal of this ruling. It was righting a wrong and making sure that the state respected the Rights of our gay and lesbian citizens. Haters have to change themselves, you can't fix stupid.

So folks that think marriage is between a man and a woman are "haters" and "stupid"? Isn't it possible that they are just wanting to stay on the right side of history and not be led like sheeple into this whole redefining of marriage thing? Isn't it possible that someone can disagree with what you think and they not be a "hater" or "stupid"?

Think about what you are saying...In many diverse cultures all around the world "marriage" of one form or another has always been between a man and a woman...Were all of these people "haters" and "stupid"?

I can't imagine a default position where anyone who disagrees with me is "stupid" or a "hater"...I am assuming they have arguments as valid as mine...Perhaps someday your side will quit letting Dan Savage and Saul Alinsky write your methodolgy of argument and perhaps show a little compassion and understanding towards the millions of people who lived before you who did not see the world in same the way you do....

It also may be time to drop the whole "Wrong side of History" line when trashing opponents of gay marriage....I have been trying my best to research an historical precendent for gay marriage and I am not finding much of anything on the subject.....Saying your right doesn't always mean you are right.....I am not saying you are wrong on the gay marriage thing...I think it is wrong but just because I think it is wrong does not mean I am right and you are a "stupid hater" of Texans, Christians, Republicans, and heterosexuals....

I have also never seen marriage as a "right" per se...I guess the closest (historical) we would have had of it being a "right" was when some early man looked across the fire at the woman he wanted, clubbed her on the head and said to the others, "She is mine...It's my right.."

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Should I show compassion and understanding to those who thought it was ok to own another human being?

Should I show compassion and understanding to those who want to ban my guns?

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011

Here it is again. The only thing that is considered "wrong" by the open-minded, "tolerant" folks is somebody else saying something is "wrong".

You say it's wrong to deny a person the right to marry another of the same sex.

I say it's wrong for the state to recognize a marriage between people of the same sex.

But because what I say is wrong is different than what you say is wrong then you are justified in calling me a "hater" and "stupid" and you are generally intolerant and unaccepting of my beliefs. And you express these ideas so forcefully with an abrasive, insulting words and haughty tone.

And you can't even see the irony in that.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Another thing that bothers me is this fallacy that this whole gay marriage issue has anything to do with what people do in the privacy of their own homes or the state sticking it's nose into people's personal sex lives.

Wake up McFly! It doesn't have anything to do with an individual's sexual preferences!!!!!!!

It has to do with probate court, divorce proceedings, placing children from broken homes, bankruptcy court, criminal law - ALL legitimate, necessary functions of civil government. Like it or not, a family is the basic unit of society and our entire system of civil government and justice is built upon it. There is no possible way for governments to be blind to real, government recognized, legal marriages without rewriting about two thirds of every single local, state, and federal law on the books. To think that civil government and civil justice can in any way operate without recognizing if a person is married or not is utterly ridiculous if you stop to think about for a while.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN

Amazing that a government that has shown itself opposed to freedom on so many topics is somehow magically for freedom on this one and truly acting in our best interest and everything will be just fine? Could it be that they are much more consistent than that?

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    Can state force acceptance?

My post had nothing to do with acceptance. Would I like for people to at least try to see and understand why gay folks would want to get married? Sure. You bet. But it's not my life's work to change anybody's mind. I try to respect other points of view when done civilly. I may not agree with them, but it doesn't make them or me right, or wrong, just different.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    A lot of people are getting bent out of shape about this ruling for no good reason. If you are gay, this is a great decision. If you are straight, then this decision does not greatly effect your life. Straight people are still married, and are still heterosexual. The court did not decided that you must now be gay.

I disagree with homosexuality from a moral/religious perspective, but I still value and acknowledge gay peoples' liberty. Everyone, no matter how I feel about their actions, deserves to have their rights respected. I applaud the Indiana Supreme Court for striking down this law and I truly hope that the state stops wasting money trying to appeal the ruling.

If you want to be offended and complain to your legislators, there are WAY more important reasons for you to do so. Complain about taxes, gun rights, spending, or education - just don't complain that gay people are finally gaining the ability to do something that everyone else has done for centuries.:twocents:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Here it is again. The only thing that is considered "wrong" by the open-minded, "tolerant" folks is somebody else saying something is "wrong".

You say it's wrong to deny a person the right to marry another of the same sex.

I say it's wrong for the state to recognize a marriage between people of the same sex.

But because what I say is wrong is different than what you say is wrong then you are justified in calling me a "hater" and "stupid" and you are generally intolerant and unaccepting of my beliefs. And you express these ideas so forcefully with an abrasive, insulting words and haughty tone.

And you can't even see the irony in that.

The only person labeling you anything is you. I was responding to Henry's post where he used those specific words. Get a grip, no-one's out to get you. You're free to agree or disagree with the fact that marriage apartheid has been overturned in Indiana.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Amazing that a government that has shown itself opposed to freedom on so many topics is somehow magically for freedom on this one and truly acting in our best interest and everything will be just fine? Could it be that they are much more consistent than that?
    The "government" didn't. The judge did. A government violated the Constitutional Rights of a minority of our states citizenry and that wrong, (which that same government is planning on doubling down on) was corrected by the judge. Government vs government. Sorry you don't like the ruling.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A lot of people are getting bent out of shape about this ruling for no good reason. If you are gay, this is a great decision. If you are straight, then this decision does not greatly effect your life. Straight people are still married, and are still heterosexual. The court did not decided that you must now be gay.

I disagree with homosexuality from a moral/religious perspective, but I still value and acknowledge gay peoples' liberty. Everyone, no matter how I feel about their actions, deserves to have their rights respected. I applaud the Indiana Supreme Court for striking down this law and I truly hope that the state stops wasting money trying to appeal the ruling.

If you want to be offended and complain to your legislators, there are WAY more important reasons for you to do so. Complain about taxes, gun rights, spending, or education - just don't complain that gay people are finally gaining the ability to do something that everyone else has done for centuries.:twocents:

Bingo. My only gripe is if someone does not want to bake your wedding cake or take your wedding pictures then move on to someone that will and leave the news media out of it. Gay is no more or less special than straight. Stop with the "Butt Hurt"

Yeah, I said it.....:laugh6:

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Should I show compassion and understanding to those who thought it was ok to own another human being?

I didn't really get the straw man comments, did some research this morning about what it really means. Some great examples I found, now I have two more.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I didn't really get the straw man comments, did some research this morning about what it really means. Some great examples I found, now I have two more.

My post was a direct response to the post right before it. I took his argument to its logical conclusion.

Rather than deal with quoting the wall of text on an iPhone, I just responded.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

My post was a direct response to the post right before it. I took his argument to its logical conclusion.

Rather than deal with quoting the wall of text on an iPhone, I just responded.

Well, ya. But you're still drawing false parallels that the real argument doesn't support.

Top Bottom