• ...and so much more!
  • jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    For Christmas the wife and I received a gift package for IN state parks. It includes an entry pass where we can get in to any state park and a gift card for lodging at one of the state park inns.

My questions to INGO are: which one(s) should we visit and hang out and/or camp, and which inn should we stay in?

We like to ride our Harley so distance isn't really a big deal, unless we are camping. We don't do the old school biker camping, we pack the truck with all kinds of stuff and head out. We live about 5-10mins from Ft. Ben so we may just visit that one, but where else should we go?

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Turkey Run is nice, especially fall time. Don't know when you plan on going but avoid major summer holidays because it gets pack. I haven't stayed in the inn there, but it seems really nice.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'll second Turkey Run. The trails are awesome. The canoe rides kick butt. I can't wait until my kids are bigger to take them.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    We have stayed at Turkey Run Inn and Abe Martin Lodge (Nashville). Both are remarkably nice for a state funded hotel. We prefer Turkey Run because of its outstanding hiking trails. I've been on those trails in every season and it is beautiful regardless what time of year. You are lucky to have that gift package. Enjoy.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Brown county
    Abe martin lodge is very nice
    Excellent motorcycle roads all around
    Nashville is just down the road with many shops and restaurants
    Monroe lake is close and you can rent a pontoon if that suits your fancy

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    We go to Spring Mill down by Bedford at least once or twice a year and stay at the Inn there. They have a nice swimming pool, good restaurant, and decent sized rooms. Spring Mill has a pioneer village and a working grist mill where you can see them milling corn and even buy a bag if you are so inclined. They also have a nice fishing lake and a good public pool in addition to the Inn pool. Lot's of good hiking. We also like the Canyon Inn at McCormick's Creek State Park too.

Smokeeater

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    Warsaw
    Pokagon State Park is nice also. If you do not mind camping a little primitive, Shades state park is nice and still close to Turkey Run. In my opinion, it has better camp sites than Turkey Run.

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    Can't say I dislike any of them, Shades is my current favorite with good hiking and primitive camping. There is a "mystery landform" waterfall that bows out instead of incising into the rock it overtops...weird, and cool. Shakamak for ice fishing and Summit Lake for Largemouth, Walleye and the hybrid Saugeye.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Thanks for the info, keep it coming!

We (I) would like to try and get to multiple parks this year for various excursions, but her schedule is VERY busy so we'll see how many we can get to. I'm sure we will be able to get somewhere to camp at least once or twice and we'll find a weekend to stay in an Inn somewhere but still trying to figure out where.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    My list of favorites are,

1) Brown County State Park and Inn, hiking is fun and we really enjoy walking around Nashville, IN.

2) Clifty State Park and Inn, hiking is better than Brown County (my opinion) the suites overlooking the river are really nice (each one has a jacuzzi tub and large multi shower head separate shower)

3) Turkey Run and Inn, neat old Inn and has the best hiking of all the state parks.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    A lesser known state park, Whitewater, is our favorite, No lodge but they do have cabin rentals and there is Metamora and Brookville Reservoir nearby.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Spring Mill S P is tops on our list, With CLIFFTY FALLS S P a close second.

Spring mill has one of only two old growth timber areas left In the state. I believe it is a nature preserve accessed thru the park next to the canoe cave trip area. If you like tv's they still have the old tubes ones in the rooms or at least they did two years ago. The inn has some great rooms.

rausch51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    The Ville
    Clifty Falls has my favorite Inn. My wife and I have stayed there several times, and have always had a great experience.

For camping, I'll recommend Tippecanoe River SP. Nice campground, decent hiking trails, and its only a couple miles from Winamac FWA's shooting range.

Medic529

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    The Westside
    For hiking you can't beat Shades or Turkey Run. Especially staying there and taking a canoe trip. Turkey Run has a nice Inn but the Inn at Spring Mill was top notch a few years ago.

tfouty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Turkey Run is a pretty easy ride from Indy. When the weather breaks, ride out for dinner some afternoon at their Inn and check out the area. Brown county has some good roads to ride, I think the area around Turkey run is a little less congested and less traffic. You can take I-74 west into Crawfordsville or keep going and exit at SR 41 at Veedersburg and go South.

Top Bottom