• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoomOfMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    im in the market for a handgun. my first to be exact im haveing a hard time figuring out what kind and caliber to buy. i know im going to use it for home and self defense i also would like to use it to target shoot. please help

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I always recommend a 4" .357 revolver for a first gun to learn on. You can practice with low power .38 loads and still be able to carry full power .357 loads.

XFCTR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Columbus
    I have to say that a good .38 snubby is a good all around gun for home defence and small enuff for concealed carry. You can get some J-frame style revolvers in .357 Mag but that may be a little light for the load. Heck .38 +P can have a quite a wallop too. It's all personal choice and its a heck of a lot of fun making the decision if you have the right friends (with a variety of guns that is) or find a quality establishment that may have some for rent to try out.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    First of all, Welcome to INGO!

Now, you will get LOTS of different opinions when it comes to the "best" caliber for home/self defense. Same goes with the "best" gun.

I'd recommend sticking with common mil/LEO calibers. That would be 9mm, .40S&W, and .45ACP. You can always find this ammo in stock, even at places like Walmart. Prices currently range from about $.20/round to $.40/round.

As to a handgun, I'd recommend finding a gun that holds many bullets (9, 40, or 45), and that you can shoot quickly and effectively.

If there is any one single gun that I've found to encompass as many of the positive traits together in one weapon, it would be the Glock 19.

Good luck!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I recommend trying several before buying anything. I would personally stay away from small compact or sub compact guns. I prefer a four inch barrel and a full size stock on the gun. Brand does not matter XDM, M&P, Glock are fine. the 1911 model is fine as well.

Adaptive Consulting and Training may be able to help you out with trying a few different models.

email me at aron@adaptiveconsultingandtraining.com if interested.

jjohnisme

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Can't go wrong with a good 1911. And model variation depends on how much you're willing to spend. The 1911 has been around, you guessed it, for damn near 100 years, in one way, shape, or form, and is still used today.

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    I like the .45ACP, plenty of ammo avaliable in a variety of loads and everybody makes one. I own a Kimber Pro CDP II loaded with 230gr. JHP.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Go find a gunshop where you feel comfortable, and pick up as many guns as you find interesting. I'll second the 4" .357 comments, great first gun. Those who prefer autos and high capacity have a valid point too. In the end it's your money, get what you like. If you don't like it, you won't practice, and practice is important. Also do get some training. It doesn't have to be a big drawn out class and it doesn't have to be extremely expensive. My kid's hunter ed class was one of the best all around safety oriented classes I've seen. Bottom line, get what you like, practice, get some instruction. and GOOD LUCK!

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Another Big Welcome to a Great Site.

You will find that side arms are like cars.
    One thats good for me may not suit others.
    You will want to spend some time checking out what feels good,
    fits your hand, Will you carry it or just have quick access to it.
    Last but not least, price range.
    Good luck in your venture...........

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Try before you buy

Welcome to INGO and welcome to the wonderful world of handguns. As others have said you will get all the advice you can handle. I would recommend you try to shoot as many as you can before you pick your first handgun. You will probably like more than one and need to shoot several models in each caliber. Handguns are a lot like cars, buy a new one drive it off the lot and the resale drops pretty quick. I usually tell my friends to check out the price of ammo because you will probably spend more on ammo in the life of the gun than the gun itself. Revolvers are simple, reliable and easy to shoot but semi's generally have a higher capacity and easier to modify. Price several and if this is you are new to firearms a good class is recommended. Most classes give you the chance to shoot several different guns and might help with your decision.

Good Luck

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Go find a gunshop where you feel comfortable, and pick up as many guns as you find interesting. I'll second the 4" .357 comments, great first gun. Those who prefer autos and high capacity have a valid point too. In the end it's your money, get what you like. If you don't like it, you won't practice, and practice is important. Also do get some training. It doesn't have to be a big drawn out class and it doesn't have to be extremely expensive. My kid's hunter ed class was one of the best all around safety oriented classes I've seen. Bottom line, get what you like, practice, get some instruction. and GOOD LUCK!

This /\ Go and try them out. It also depends on your hand size
    and a number of factors to see what you are comfortable with.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I usually tell my friends to check out the price of ammo because you will probably spend more on ammo in the life of the gun than the gun itself.

I would hope so! If you have a personal defense handgun and you haven't spent more than the price of the gun in ammo through it, something is wrong! Train! Practice! Now! :D

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Pick what fits your hand well. Next pick something that has cheaper ammo. My preference would be the Browning High Power.:)

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    1st:welcome:

2nd, A wheel gun is a great way to start. No hidden mysteries or magic. Open the cyclinder, insert 5 or 6 bullets, close the cyclinder, aim, and pull the trigger. Simple and straight forward. Of course, start doing this ONLY under good supervision. Don't be embaressed, we all went thru it.

Once you are comfortable with the revolver, you may want to go and try a pistol (semi-automatic). Again, ONLY with supervision.

A good place to start would be a shop that has a range and various guns you can rent. Spend a little $ and try out 7 or 8 of them. You will learn what you like or dislike in a short time. And for a lot less than buying and selling them until you land on the one you like.

Caliber? .357 or .38 in a wheel gun is always an excellent choice for a all around gun. Autos? .40 or .45 will do what you need when you need it, but a 9mm will cost you less to practice with. And you WILL NEED TO PRACTICE!! It is critical that you and the gun "become one". It may save your life one day, but only if you know that rascal inside and out.

Good luck in your search. You're gonna have a "blast" in looking for your new buddy.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Bloomington
    If i were you i would do a Springfield XDm 9mm, it holds 20 rounds, very accurate, 3 safetys, very user friendly, light weight, all around solid gun. Also the Springfield XD9 sub compact in coyote brown is a sweet gun, it will probably be my next!

rocketscience

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    look at all the guns you can, shoot every gun someone will let you. budget is not only considered when buying the gun. check ammunition prices and availability. .380 for instance is higher than .45acp and about anything else and almost impossible to get. sucks to get a good deal on a gun only to find you cannot get a box of ammo when you pick it up. don't miss the trees for the forest. do your homework, i bought a 22a only to find i hated the grip after shooting it. $80 for a new grip, i could have paid $30 more for the gun with the grip from the factory. check reviews and ask questions, careful with the new fad and my buddy says.
    good luck and good hunting

Top Bottom