In my mind it was a normal trip to the indoor range for some pistol practice...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cTEKs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    101 Lakes
    Woke up Saturday and found the weather to be kind of blah. Decided it would be a good day to make the hour drive to hit the indoor range and get some pistol practice in. I knew once I arrived it probably would be busy and I would spend some time browsing firearms until a lane became available. With no other plans for the day there would be no big hurry for me anyways. Upon my arrival I was rather surprised to find the parking lot to be rather empty. I grabbed my range bag and headed in. Made my normal circle around the display cases and chatted to one of the sales members off and on.

There was a Glock 19 Gen4 in stock and decided to get a hands-on with it as it would go well with my 26 Gen4. We chatted some more and mentioned that I was thinking of maybe a Colt M4 OPS- .22 Long Rifle for something my son would enjoy shooting since he likes plinking with the Ruger 10/22 and it is cheap to shoot. The sales associate talks about it for a few minutes and then asks the question… “Do you already own an AR?” My response was no and that I plan to, but haven’t spent much time educating myself yet. We talk a few minutes more and he explains the flexibility I would have if did. He agreed to take me over to the AR’s and take some time to explain some of the difference and options that would be open to me if I were to choose to go the AR route.

It wasn’t long and I was discussing package pricing and filling out 4473. They took the time to assemble, mount and adjust optics and handed me a screwdriver to hit the range with. As I blasted through 160 rounds with my perm-a-grin, I realized that my disease has now become official and I couldn’t be any happier about it!

Here is what I ended up bringing home:

RRA LAR-15 CAR A4 with 6-Position Tactical Stock
    EOTECH XPS3-2, NV, BLACK, 65 MOA RING AND 2 DOTS
    EOTECH G23 GEN II 3X MAGNIFIER W/FLIP-TO-SIDE MOUNT & QUICK DETACH, Black
    MAGPUL ''Maglevel'' PMAG, Window, 30 Rd, Black
    MagPul PMAG 30 Rnd, 5.56/223 MAGAZINE – AR15/M16, Black
    400rds Federal XM193F 5.56mm M193 Ball 55gr.

picture.php

picture.php

*NOTE: This is a shortened version of the whole event. I was in the store/range for roughly 3-hours. The “customer experience” I received was 5-Stars. This is not my first firearm purchase from this business nor will it be my last at this point.

cTEKs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    101 Lakes
    Nice! Now buy the Spikes or CMMG .22LR conversion bolt kit and you've got something your son can plink with as well.

Thank you. It is on my short list and will look at ordering this week. Need to spend some time looking at the conversions and haven't started yet. The two you mention are the common ones? I want my son to shoot this as it is and get his feedback before investing in any conversion.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Sounds like a good experience and it also looks like your wallet is a bit lighter! Can I ask what shop this all came from? Sharing good experiences is appreciated.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Thank you. It is on my short list and will look at ordering this week. Need to spend some time looking at the conversions and haven't started yet. The two you mention are the common ones? I want my son to shoot this as it is and get his feedback before investing in any conversion.

Well, you can add the Ceiner/Atchisson, and Colt versions as well...and I think DPMS makes one that is the same design as the CMMG. I have the Spikes version and like it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

For the overall cost of a good conversion kit I acquired a not so used H&K 416 M-4 in .22 LR. It is a joy to shoot, dedicated .22 LR and has to this point zero issues. I have a few M-4's and other AR variants. My buddy's beat on me about doing a conversion so I looked into this. Talking with at the LGS they showed me this H&K and all the other plans were ioff. Get a dedicated gun. As cheap or just a bit more. Look around, you can find one. Then the Boy has his own Battle rifle just like dads..............;)

cTEKs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    101 Lakes
    For the overall cost of a good conversion kit I acquired a not so used H&K 416 M-4 in .22 LR. It is a joy to shoot, dedicated .22 LR and has to this point zero issues. I have a few M-4's and other AR variants. My buddy's beat on me about doing a conversion so I looked into this. Talking with at the LGS they showed me this H&K and all the other plans were ioff. Get a dedicated gun. As cheap or just a bit more. Look around, you can find one. Then the Boy has his own Battle rifle just like dads..............;)

I appreciate you input. It was my original thought to have a dedicated .22LR in an AR platform, but got swayed obviously. LOL The concept of just "grab and go" without having to convert does appeal to me. Regardless of which way I decide to go, and I will be giving this quite a bit of thought, I now own my first AR and am digging it!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    That was one of the fastest onset of EBR disease I've seen yet. Welcome to our sickness! :ingo:

cTEKs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    101 Lakes
    Would you mind sharing what shop this all came from?

North from you in Elkhart @ Midwest Gun and Range. They are an hour West from me. I am comfortable and enjoy shooting there. Honestly feel I was given a fair and competitive deal and received the value add of the great customer experience that is often hard for me to find in a "gun store." Now, I can't say that I get that from every sales member there, but I just try to avoid those that I get a weird vibe from and prefer to talk to a select few. It isn't uncommon for me to go unnoticed and ignored in most stores.

The gentleman that assisted me with this purchase takes the time to acknowledge, chat, assist, consult and provide more information than I can absorb. Hell, he even offered that if I bring it back in the near future that he would show me how to disassemble for cleaning. But the most important things that made it for me.... He took the time to explain, didn't insist that I had to buy a 2 or $3K AR (Which I considered) and didn't treat me like I was stupid even though I am pretty AR-Stupid. ;)

Top Bottom