• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BLA

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Brown County
    Hello everyone I have been looking around for a new higher caliber edc. I have narrowed it down to 2 different ones. A Glock 33 in 357sig or a Glock 30 in 45acp. Both cartridges have considerable "stopping power" but they perform in very different ways. I am wanting opinions on both not necessarily an all out argument. I will be testing both guns for myself in the next couple of weeks as well. Thanks :ingo:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Stopping power is pretty much a myth in handguns, and ballistics gel tests are all pretty even.

Expansion of a 45 is larger, but you don't have as many rounds without a reload.

I would go with a .40 if it were me, or buy them all and rotate appropriately :)

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Glocks

I would go with the 45 due to the cost and abundance of 45 ammo compared to the 357 sig. But thats just me

BLA

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Brown County
    I do understand the stopping power myth hence the "" but i was wondering how welll they shoot out of subcompacts since i havnt had a chance to try them yet

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I've shot the entire range of Glock subcompacts and they all shoot pretty well, at least for me. For my dollar, I have to look at the rounds themselves and decide what I can afford to shoot on a regular basis. If you're into reloading and stuff then it levels that playing field some..

Just out of curious nature - why have you disregarded the 26/27?

BLA

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Brown County
    I wan something a bit larger than the 9mm. Mainly because I got bored with it :D But I have hated the 40sw ever since I first shot it. I'm not sure why but I just have so Im narrowing it down to the 357 and the 45

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    SF's have a slimmer grip. Less "circumference" around the grip I think is an easy way to explain it. Supposed to make larger calibers more forgiving on smaller hands. :)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If you pick up either a .40/357 you can pick up a .357 or .40 barrel and it would be a direct swap in for a caliber conversion. You would not even have to buy different mags.

I own a Glock 30, a 27, and a 23.

The 30 is the easiest shooting/least recoil, but it is also a bulkier gun than the other 2. The .30 is my favorite to shoot, but not to carry.

What specifically do you not like about the .40? That may help us provide you some better feedback regarding your question.

evanrw61

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Southport Indiana
    I am the proud owner of a Glock 30 SF. I highly reccommend it, and the ammo will be cheaper then .357 Sig, more plentiful. This means you get more chances to go bang on your dollar.
    :twocents:

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    It's NOT easy to change your username on here, no.. ask Jedi :P

BLA, are you going to any INGO shoots soon? I try to attend the NWI shoot at Winamac and have specifically gone with the intention of checking out a specific firearm while I'm there. Glocks may be a little tricky - I'd guess that a pretty large portion of the folks who go to the shoot have one, but many don't bring them along since they're not unique or special - even though they would be if you wanted to compare a few..

BLA

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Brown County
    I havnt been to any of the shoots even though I would like to go. I dont like the 40 due to the "feel" of the recoil and how snappy it is. I may not have given it its fair chance since I shot one magazine and never tried agiain. LOL I can here the outcry already :D

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    1 - you should come! One coming up next weekend, one in Sept. The NWI guys typically try to plan far enough out that one could request time off if they had to. I'd like to see the Lafayette crew do something similar but there aren't (m)any ranges within a half-hour or so of Lafayette Metro that would let a large group gather for free..

2 - I carry a 40 myself. It's hard not to look at the economics of the situation these days - if all the ammo was the same price that'd be magic, but it's not. I work hard for my money and don't make a lot of it, and my time is valuable. If it was a one-time purchase it'd be one thing, but with "ongoing education" I find the .40 is a good mix of power, capacity and price. All the local LE agencies in my area seem to feel the same way. If I had a 27 I'd let you shoot just as much through as you'd like, but unfortunately I don't.

I, too, felt the recoil was crazy when I started shooting the 40 but I trained that feeling right out of me..

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Small/Lg Hands - I have smaller hands as well, but I (personally, YMMV) like a full grip. Helps me keep trigger control smooth and even.

BLA

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Brown County
    I will take that all into consideration. I didn't even consider ammo price lol. Ill have to either go with a 45. Ill have to do more with the 40 and see if I like it. Where is th nwi shoot?

Top Bottom