• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nemick

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Fishers
    Okay, I have a Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec. I would like to know if there are things I could do to it to enhance it or improve it. Don't get me wrong, it's a great weapon, shoots great and is much more accurate than I, but I would still like to make it the best it can be.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any DIY projects that I could undertake on this pistol, or should I leave it alone and just buy something more exotic?

Thanks

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Before you do anything to it yourself, you should read kuhnhausen's manual(s) and see if you are up to it. A little too much filed off of a part could make the gun unsafe.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Nowlin sear spring.

Simple, cheap, very effective without dicking your gun up.

The 1911 is not for learning on, unless it's a cheap old beater you don't care about.
    Lots of things can create very dangerous situations, or wreck the gun.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    No offense, but per your own admission:

it's a great weapon, shoots great and is much more accurate than I,

How would you know if anything you do to it has improved it if you already cant take it to it's full potential?

So back to your original question:

I would like to know if there are things I could do to it to enhance it or improve it.

The answer is shoot it. So buy more ammo is teh what you should buy. At this point in the game it sounds like you are the weak link in teh system.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Most Milspecs are usually in need of better sights and trigger work to bring out a basic improvement.
    SIghts will take special tools and the trigger can be a touchy job. Dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

Nemick

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Fishers
    Thanks for the responses, links and advice. I guess I should elaborate that I never intended to take to the thing with a dremel, file or any other kind of metal removing tool. I just thought there might be drop in pieces, triggers, springs etc. that wouldn't require major modifications. I agree that I am definitely the weak link, but thought it might be fun to work on it a bit. That said, points taken. Thanks!!

Last edited:

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Before you do anything to it yourself, you should read kuhnhausen's manual(s) and see if you are up to it. A little too much filed off of a part could make the gun unsafe.

This x 1000%.

As a gunsmith, fully 50% of my work goes into un-customizing amateur abortions....usually on 1911's.

And "drop-in" parts don't, As a rule, drop in.

Cannonfodder333

Shooter
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    I would suggest a magwell. And if it has a rail you can always add a light or laser. If you do not like the grips that is always an easy upgrade.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    These manuals are GREAT learning tools, perhaps the best addition I have have ever put on a 1911 is a high rise beavertail because hammer bite sucks:xmad:. But I have been around 1911's my entire life:)

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I suggest you spend the accessory money on ammo and range time. After you have shot a thousand rounds through your pistol then revaluate your needs to do custom work. If you still think your 1911 needs work, then I would look into lighter/heavier springs and trigger work to enhance your 1911. Good luck.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    As some have mentioned, most drop in parts aren't. The first and foremost item a base government model needs are good sights. Look around, find what you want, and have them professionally installed.

Jeff Cooper said that one needs "sights you can see, a trigger you can manage, and a dehorn job."

That might be a good start.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    As some have mentioned, most drop in parts aren't. The first and foremost item a base government model needs are good sights. Look around, find what you want, and have them professionally installed.

Jeff Cooper said that one needs "sights you can see, a trigger you can manage, and a dehorn job."

That might be a good start.

Most Mil-Spec SPFD's have a pretty good dehorn already, mine did. I second good sights and quality trigger components after that it's just personal taste.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    What is it that you are not fond of with the Mil-Spec? My guess is that the trigger is probably good enough, but what about the grips? Too slick or too fat? A nice set of slim G10 grips by VZGrips can really improve the grip on a gun. What about the sights? A good set of night sights can really improve a gun if it has standard GI sights. Go much further and you will start needing to fit parts. An extended thumb safety can be fitted without too much risk of screwing a gun up. If you go too far, you're only out about $35 for a new safety. Those can be a good starter project in fitting custom parts. The operation of the safety can be verified after the work is done, so you should be able to do that with a zero risk of danger. A trigger might be doable, but again, verify proper operation before putting ammo in the gun. I'd avoid any work on the sear or hammer. You can end up with a gun that has a way too light trigger or other unsafe issues.

The basic question is how much do you want to do yourself and how much are you willing to farm out to a competent gunsmith? If you are farming the work out, then the sky (and your wallet) is the limit. If you are doing the work yourself, start slow and be careful with the YouTube how-to videos. Some are good, others dangerous. Gunsmithing is more art than science. You are working with thousandths of inches and need to know exactly what you are doing. Some people have a knack for that type of work and can learn it quite easily. Others struggle and mess up guns trying.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Take it to a dealer and trade it for a glock. You can thank me later LOL

Really.............:):

Seriously, some good trigger work and a set of sights will get you to the next level. Both require knowledge and the proper tools. I learned the hard way that "Nothing" drops into a 1911 with out some love being applied in the right areas. Get someone with the skills and tools for this work. It is not that expensive and you will love the trigger. After this you will walk right past the Glocks in the display case..................................:D

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    De-horn, trigger job(stay away from the sear), replace ILS MS with standard "Colt" style, new sights if you don't like what you have, polish feed ramp, grips, thumb safety if you don't like your current one.

Don't know why anyone would take a Dremel tool to a gun.

I wouldn't be afraid if you are technically minded. If you ruin a part, there are more out there and it would give you an excuse to upgrade.:)

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Southwest of Indy
    I took my to a very reputable local gunsmith to make sure it was done right. Extended slide release, extended safety, extended mag release, beaver tail grip safety, aftermarket sights, beveled magwell, and Accu-Match barrel with compensator. She's a real tack driver now!

Top Bottom