• ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Just another example of the Indianapolis anti-gun, intentional slow walk of returning people's guns to them.
    And why I say to not carry a gun that you have so much money in that if God forbid you have to lawfully use it in self defense, that you STILL won't end up being a robbery victim anyway by those who are SUPPOSED to be protecting our rights.

There needs to be a law that gives them so much time to do any "testing" on a gun, and if it's not done, the gun must be returned anyway.
    And if it's not returned, the city should be automatically held liable, as well and any personnel involved should automatically be held personally liable.

I'm getting so sick of some in our government stealing people's property and not being held accountable.

euby

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    West Newton
    Yeah, because that happens all the time in Indy :rolleyes: . None of you have anything that I would sacrifice my pacheck or my freedom for. The Property Room is as ****ed up as a football bat and poorly managed. OP should go ahead and initiate a civil suit against IMPD or else it is just going to continue.
    How many court orders does it require? Maybe I'll do small claims while I'm at it... you think 3 would be enough :bat::)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just another example of the Indianapolis anti-gun, intentional slow walk of returning people's guns to them.
    And why I say to not carry a gun that you have so much money in that if God forbid you have to lawfully use it in self defense, that you STILL won't end up being a robbery victim anyway by those who are SUPPOSED to be protecting our rights.

There needs to be a law that gives them so much time to do any "testing" on a gun, and if it's not done, the gun must be returned anyway.
    And if it's not returned, the city should be automatically held liable, as well and any personnel involved should automatically be held personally liable.

I'm getting so sick of some in our government stealing people's property and not being held accountable.
    why do you hate children?

euby

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    West Newton

Not to mention the violating a persons 4th amendment rights.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Yeah, because that happens all the time in Indy :rolleyes: . None of you have anything that I would sacrifice my pacheck or my freedom for. The Property Room is as ****ed up as a football bat and poorly managed. OP should go ahead and initiate a civil suit against IMPD or else it is just going to continue.
    how would one know how often it happens? Given that it's a mess trying to get it back in the first place.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    A good first step would be stopping the "guilty until proven innocent" crap. If it arrives in the property room administratively for safekeeping (vs as evidence) it should be able to be released immediately.

Luckily there are officers that understand the BS and will do everything within their power to keep a gun out of the property room when the owner did nothing wrong. Ive heard stories of them contacting spouses and meeting them to hand off the gun after the accident so they dont have to turn it in at the end of their shift.

I agree with you. I never understood why they made firearms coming in for "safekeeping" not go to the front of the line. I feel it opens up the department to unneeded lawsuits. Probably why it never changed, was no one ever challenged it where the department cares most... the pocketbook.

I am hoping this can change, now that the unit will have an entirely new set of people working.

As for officers trying not to take unneeded firearms down to the dark abyss. No one, and I can confidently say this, knows more than me, when it comes to this. I try not to take one down unless it is evidence, or an owner cannot be identified.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    What you were told is partially true. That unit is in shambles right now. The unit was only like 4 people, with the supervisor having been in that position for nearly 50 years. Supervisor retired, and the other 3 were either fired or quit. So I imagine no guns have been released for a while, or that very few have been recently. I believe only one person can release the guns at this time, and it is a VERY new process to them. This is hopefully going to change very soon, as someone I know well is being reassigned to get things in order. And by soon, I mean they should be starting as soon as they return from a COVID leave. Send me a message, and I'll see what I can do. No promises, as I haven't looked at the situation yet. But I can see what I can do. And what others have said about having an officer friend was no help is also true. I know the old supervisor personally, and that sounds like her, however there is always more to the story.

Supervisor sounds like an egotistical ******* who's job is not dependent on performance.
    In other words, the kinds of person I would fire in an instant.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I would add that this throws a curve to any so-called "Red Flag" laws.
    A person's guns are all taken by the police, in a short time the judge orders them returned, and the City of Indianapolis commits contempt of court by refusing to promptly return them.
    And nothing happens to them.

The fact that the City of Indianapolis REFUSES to remedy this "slow walk" policy in returning innocent people's guns, SCREAMS that they support gun confiscation to ANY degree they can get by with it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    A person's guns are all taken by the police, in a short time the judge orders them returned, and the City of Indianapolis commits contempt of court by refusing to promptly return them.

The fact that the City of Indianapolis REFUSES to remedy this "slow walk" policy in returning innocent people's guns, SCREAMS that they support gun confiscation to ANY degree they can get by with it.
    This has been obvious for years.

euby

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    West Newton

my situation is almost exactly like what the supreme court ruled this week. Family member was woke up from bed and had all their guns confiscated because an ex-wife in another city said he was suicidal. Evidently he was trying to sleep himself to death! Took him to the hospital and deemed fine. Agreed to turn over firearms to me to drop the whole thing. Now I've spent the last year+ trying to get them back.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    Supervisor sounds like an egotistical ******* who's job is not dependent on performance.
    In other words, the kinds of person I would fire in an instant.

Normally, I'd agree with you. But there is more to the story, a short books worth. Things changed after Jake Laird was killed. The old supervisor would have fit in quite well here, if she was at all technologically inclined.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Normally, I'd agree with you. But there is more to the story, a short books worth. Things changed after Jake Laird was killed. The old supervisor would have fit in quite well here, if she was at all technologically inclined.
    I'm not sure how any of that is a justification for taking a 12-18 months to release somebody's property?

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    If it makes you feel any better, my BIL had a similar situation trying to recover a stolen pistol from a very small, very rural county in western KS. The gun was recovered within an hour of being stolen, and still took 18 months to get it back. It isn't only big city bureaucracy that infringes on our rights!
    --Rick

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You know . . . I haven't posted a fraction of my cool guns.:D

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    OP, my best to you. Replevin from IMPD is challenging. I usually send a copy to Corp. Counsel and they get a date.

I have had to file Show Causes before. It is maddening.

Oddly, best response, Indianapolis Airport Authority. Same day turn over and they even wiped my client's guns down for him.:D

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I'm not sure how any of that is a justification for taking a 12-18 months to release somebody's property?

Just because a gun has been in IMPD's possession for 12-18 months, doesn't mean the owner started the release process that long ago. But yes, you are right; if the owner started the process that long ago, aside from a pending court case, it is not justification for taking that long.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    If it makes you feel any better, my BIL had a similar situation trying to recover a stolen pistol from a very small, very rural county in western KS. The gun was recovered within an hour of being stolen, and still took 18 months to get it back. It isn't only big city bureaucracy that infringes on our rights!
    --Rick

Stolen guns are a bit more tricky. Often you are dealing with multiple agencies AND court jurisdictions. Even a gun stolen and recovered in the same city will have year long court cases where the gun is evidence, and possibly even longer appeal time frames where certain evidence must be retained until the appeals process is either exhausted or expired.

Fun fact, I have an arrest I made in Feb of 2020, and my court case keeps getting pushed back. First court date for that arrest is July of this year. Courts are slow, and Covid made that even worse.

Top Bottom