• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • euby

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    West Newton
    I have a court order to retrieve firearms from IMPD property room. I have called and phone just rings. I finally got a live person one day and she transferred me to a full voice mailbox so I couldn't leave a message. I have been to citizens services 3 times to try and get these weapons. First time I was told everyone had left for the day. Second time I was told everyone quit. Third time the nice lady at the window took a copy of the court order and said her SGT. supervisor would call. That was over a month ago. Not sure getting a civil rights lawyer would do any good seeing how I already have a court order to release the firearms from a superior court judge. Not sure what my next step would or should be so has anyone had to deal with type of situation before?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I have a court order to retrieve firearms from IMPD property room. I have called and phone just rings. I finally got a live person one day and she transferred me to a full voice mailbox so I couldn't leave a message. I have been to citizens services 3 times to try and get these weapons. First time I was told everyone had left for the day. Second time I was told everyone quit. Third time the nice lady at the window took a copy of the court order and said her SGT. supervisor would call. That was over a month ago. Not sure getting a civil rights lawyer would do any good seeing how I already have a court order to release the firearms from a superior court judge. Not sure what my next step would or should be so has anyone had to deal with type of situation before?

Welcome to government in action.

If you do get them back, please post on their condition as compared to when they were "taken into gov care."

I think about these things when I see folks using beautuiful firearms for their carry....I always hope they never have to use it and turn it over to gov for "safe keeping".

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    How long have they had them?

There is a property room rule at IMPD that EVERY firearm must go through ballistic tests to verify they were not involved in any crimes. Even if they were taken in for no crime whatsoever. (e.g. you were in an accident and they had to take the gun so you could be transported by ambulance)

Last count I had it was at least an 18 month turnaround for that process. And that was pre-covid.

Even getting a trusted officer friend to go in personally and try to grease the wheels/charm the staff doesnt work. They just DGAF. They'll tell the officer to pound sand too. In the case that was documented here, all that was left was a signature by the supervisor of the property room on the form, which she had. The officer was told "I'll sign it when I get around to it. I'm busy."

euby

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    West Newton

If you do get them back, please post on their condition as compared to when they were "taken into gov care."

I think about these things when I see folks using beautuiful firearms for their carry....I always hope they never have to use it and turn it over to gov for "safe keeping".
    I really don't know their condition to begin with. They were a family members and officers took them in a BS red flag thing. Funny if the supreme court would have ruled a year ago what they did yesterday I wouldn't be in this situation. I wouldn't worry about them but there is a couple family heirlooms I would like to have... like I need more :D

euby

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    West Newton
    How long have they had them?

There is a property room rule at IMPD that EVERY firearm must go through ballistic tests to verify they were not involved in any crimes. Even if they were taken in for no crime whatsoever. (e.g. you were in an accident and they had to take the gun so you could be transported by ambulance)

Last count I had it was at least an 18 month turnaround for that process. And that was pre-covid.

Even getting a trusted officer friend to go in personally and try to grease the wheels/charm the staff doesnt work. They just DGAF. They'll tell the officer to pound sand too. In the case that was documented here, all that was left was a signature by the supervisor of the property room on the form, which she had. The officer was told "I'll sign it when I get around to it. I'm busy."
    Well its been about 18 months ago since they were confiscated and I would be OK with a process whatever that is.... The problem is I get absolutely no response from anyone.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    What you were told is partially true. That unit is in shambles right now. The unit was only like 4 people, with the supervisor having been in that position for nearly 50 years. Supervisor retired, and the other 3 were either fired or quit. So I imagine no guns have been released for a while, or that very few have been recently. I believe only one person can release the guns at this time, and it is a VERY new process to them. This is hopefully going to change very soon, as someone I know well is being reassigned to get things in order. And by soon, I mean they should be starting as soon as they return from a COVID leave. Send me a message, and I'll see what I can do. No promises, as I haven't looked at the situation yet. But I can see what I can do. And what others have said about having an officer friend was no help is also true. I know the old supervisor personally, and that sounds like her, however there is always more to the story.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Are they nice guns? Sounds like a cop got themselves a little bonus and now they're stalling you to avoid having to admit your stuff is missing. :whistle:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Good luck to you. I had to deal with a similar issue several years ago to get a pistol released that had been stolen in a home burglary. I didn't have a court order so in my case the process was long, frustrating and time consuming.

The aspect I am still the most angry about, is that the gun was recovered but no one bothered to call and let me know, despite having filed a police report and the burglary case being open and active. They had it for more than six months before I found out about it. And that was only because I email the detective annually to ask about any updates or if any of my stuff has been recovered.

So far two of the four stolen guns have been found. The one I got back from Marion County took almost two years from the time I knew they had it and started trying to get it back.

The AFT has the other one. I don't know when I see that one again. That's a whole other story. The last time I handled it I was on the witness stand in a federal court trial.

Last edited:

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis

that's why i stopped carrying my sig p226 .40 s&w everyday.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    As with most government run things, the process of releasing guns is WAY outdated. It is one of those things that worked, until it didn't. Next to nothing in that unit is digitized, and is all still done on paper and.... typewriter, believe it or not. The shear number of firearms that the department handles is ridiculous. Last I heard there were roughly 20k firearms, and that was over 2 years ago.

As for the condition of the firearms, they really shouldn't be much different than when they came into the police's possession. Obviously they aren't oiled or anything, but it's not like it's being stored in a swamp.

As for judges signing court orders to release a firearm. Believe it or not, but Marion County Judges are, you guessed it, still human. Might not have a soul, but still human nonetheless, and make mistakes. I once had a judge sign a court order to release a firearm back to a felon. After many phone calls to the angry felon and a legal department, I explained how we can't be compelled to violate federal law by a lower court circuit. I also explained that if I was there when the felon picked up that gun, he would promptly be placed in cuffs and our legal team can have a fun time explaining that one in whatever higher court it was taken to.

Most of the time, a court order is a quick way to get a firearm back. But there are still checks and balances in place to assure things are done correctly, which takes time because... you guessed it again, it's the government.

There is no doubt that the unit that handles firearms processing is in serious need of an overhaul and update. Hopefully, it will change soon, but only time will tell.

euby

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    West Newton
    What you were told is partially true. That unit is in shambles right now. The unit was only like 4 people, with the supervisor having been in that position for nearly 50 years. Supervisor retired, and the other 3 were either fired or quit. So I imagine no guns have been released for a while, or that very few have been recently. I believe only one person can release the guns at this time, and it is a VERY new process to them. This is hopefully going to change very soon, as someone I know well is being reassigned to get things in order. And by soon, I mean they should be starting as soon as they return from a COVID leave. Send me a message, and I'll see what I can do. No promises, as I haven't looked at the situation yet. But I can see what I can do. And what others have said about having an officer friend was no help is also true. I know the old supervisor personally, and that sounds like her, however there is always more to the story.
    Thank you for the info... makes me feel better knowing at least I wasn't getting smoke blown up my *** I only know a couple LEO's any more because I'm an older man and most of them retired or moved on now. Doesn't give me much faith in the leadership at IMPD to let this unit get to this point. Best of luck to your friend.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Are they nice guns? Sounds like a cop got themselves a little bonus and now they're stalling you to avoid having to admit your stuff is missing. :whistle:
    Yeah, because that happens all the time in Indy :rolleyes: . None of you have anything that I would sacrifice my pacheck or my freedom for. The Property Room is as ****ed up as a football bat and poorly managed. OP should go ahead and initiate a civil suit against IMPD or else it is just going to continue.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    Thank you for the info... makes me feel better knowing at least I wasn't getting smoke blown up my *** I only know a couple LEO's any more because I'm an older man and most of them retired or moved on now. Doesn't give me much faith in the leadership at IMPD to let this unit get to this point. Best of luck to your friend.

I'll leave my thoughts on leadership for another discussion. They are currently in the process of hiring/training a new supervisor, as well as hiring a handful of additional staff. Problem is it will take time to train them, and even more time to update the entire process.

OP, you're welcome to PM if you want. There are simply things I'd rather not say on the public side of a forum.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    There is no doubt that the unit that handles firearms processing is in serious need of an overhaul and update. Hopefully, it will change soon, but only time will tell.
    A good first step would be stopping the "guilty until proven innocent" crap. If it arrives in the property room administratively for safekeeping (vs as evidence) it should be able to be released immediately.

Luckily there are officers that understand the BS and will do everything within their power to keep a gun out of the property room when the owner did nothing wrong. Ive heard stories of them contacting spouses and meeting them to hand off the gun after the accident so they dont have to turn it in at the end of their shift.

Top Bottom