• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    We're busting into the 21st century (reluctantly) and considering wifi for the home internet access.

I like as little drama in my life as possible for these things. Living in SW Indy, what are my options? And what are the pros and cons of those options?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Are you thinking about just hooking up a wi-fi router up to your existing internet connection or a different provider?

I'm on Dish. I happened to connect a wi-fi router to the output of my satellite modem and viola! wi-fi is available all over my house, a good part of my yard, garage, driveway, etc. It's just a Netgear wireless router I bought a WalMart. The installation and setup instructions were pretty straight forward.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I thought we had this conversation a couple years ago.
    Sort of. Mr88GT wanted to connect a 2nd computer to the internet without going wifi. We needed some router thingy. But he's discovered World of Tanks and wants to get a 3rd computer for him and older son to play together as a platoon. Yes, that's really the reason we're getting wifi. Plus the boys got their own tablets for Christmas and they have wifi only. So we're going to need to have some way of connecting them so they can play and do their school work without having to sit outside the church parking lot. :):

Though I may have asked about it in general in the past. Who knows. I've slept since then. And I figure this technology stuff has a usable shelf life of about 7.2 hours anyway. So whatever we discussed back then has long been obsolete.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    Stay away from the newer Linksys Routers. I just lost one that had only been in service for about a year. I replaced it with a Airport Extreme router. More than the rest of the routers out there, but it's built like a tank. Buffalo and Netgear routers are good buys as well. I've used Netgear with good success before.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Stay away from the newer Linksys Routers. I just lost one that had only been in service for about a year. I replaced it with a Airport Extreme router. More than the rest of the routers out there, but it's built like a tank. Buffalo and Netgear routers are good buys as well. I've used Netgear with good success before.
    I've never heard of the AirPort Extreme and Buffalo. But then again, I don't stay up on all the latest and greatest.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I have my main connection to an Apple airport extreme and needed a wired connection to a desktop (without wifi) upstairs and I used an airport express to do that.

Been flawless for 2 years now.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Sort of. Mr88GT wanted to connect a 2nd computer to the internet without going wifi. We needed some router thingy. But he's discovered World of Tanks and wants to get a 3rd computer for him and older son to play together as a platoon. Yes, that's really the reason we're getting wifi. Plus the boys got their own tablets for Christmas and they have wifi only. So we're going to need to have some way of connecting them so they can play and do their school work without having to sit outside the church parking lot. :):

Though I may have asked about it in general in the past. Who knows. I've slept since then. And I figure this technology stuff has a usable shelf life of about 7.2 hours anyway. So whatever we discussed back then has long been obsolete.

Obsolete......I am still using the same wireless router for a few years now. Off brand and it works great :):

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    If you want some really specific instructions, post a photo of the modem your ISP gave you (particularly the back of it where everything plugs in). Adding wifi is generally pretty simple, but there are some things to be aware of, particularly if you have a modem with an integrated router.

Do you want to be able to share files or a printer between the computers/tablets/phones/whatever...?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    What kind of internet connection and what speed is the connection?
    Currently it's a DSL modem with a wired network of 2 computers. No idea what the speed connection is. No idea how to find out either.

We want to add a third computer, and of course, have the wifi for the tablets/phones/etc. We also want the computers to connect to the printer, but not sure if that's possible on the printer's side. We have ways around that though.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    We upgraded from AT&T DSL to AT&T uverse (Internet only no TV). They provided a new all-in-one modem/router. They came and set everything up and we have had great service.
    That being said AT&T likes to jack the price up every 6 months so you have to call, BUT it has been worth it for the fast speed and no interruptions in service.
    FWIW we run a desktop, laptop, 3 smartphones and a tablet with zero issues and NO lag.
    Currently paying $42/mo.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    We upgraded from AT&T DSL to AT&T uverse (Internet only no TV). They provided a new all-in-one modem/router. They came and set everything up and we have had great service.
    That being said AT&T likes to jack the price up every 6 months so you have to call, BUT it has been worth it for the fast speed and no interruptions in service.
    FWIW we run a desktop, laptop, 3 smartphones and a tablet with zero issues and NO lag.
    Currently paying $42/mo.
    This is what we have been considering. (Why can't they get the U-verse TV out here?????) Good to know you've been happy.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have CAT-5 jacks all over, was on Earthlink<Brighthouse, then got a couple of things like Kindles that won't do wired, so I set up a WAP, can't remember what. I've gotten lazy now and keep using the thing. I've switched to Roadrunner 60, and their router has built in WAP, so now I have wire and two WAPS to choose from. If you're going straight wired, switches are dirt cheap and easy; you just have to get the cables to them. Probably just as well go wireless, though, if you have other stuff that needs it.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    This is what we have been considering. (Why can't they get the U-verse TV out here?????) Good to know you've been happy.
    U-Verse TV is available out here. I just refuse to pay for cable. I get 20+ channels for free with rabbit ears, which is more than enough for us.
    My wife works from home and requires high speed internet which is the only reason I upgraded.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    U-Verse TV is available out here. I just refuse to pay for cable. I get 20+ channels for free with rabbit ears, which is more than enough for us.
    My wife works from home and requires high speed internet which is the only reason I upgraded.
    When I was on the U-verse website this afternoon, the "check availability" for U-verse TV said it wasn't available for my address. I entered the search by address and phone number just to see if one made a difference. Told me no U-verse TV for me. :dunno:

Top Bottom