• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I did my part as well. After work I made a trip to Sam's Club and then met the gf for dinner at Applebee's. :)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    What? You mean that no one panicked at your Portable Baby Killing Machine and called the police? No Rapid Response Teams met you on Aisle 9 and tased/flex-cuffed you?

What is this country coming to, when a respectable, law-abiding citizen can just brazenly walk around Sam's Club AND Applebee's with a GUN ON THEIR HIP?!?!!?:rockwoot:

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    What? You mean that no one panicked at your Portable Baby Killing Machine and called the police? No Rapid Response Teams met you on Aisle 9 and tased/flex-cuffed you?

What is this country coming to, when a respectable, law-abiding citizen can just brazenly walk around Sam's Club AND Applebee's with a GUN ON THEIR HIP?!?!!?:rockwoot:
    I found out that my girlfriend doesn't quite like it when I OC. She says "it draws too much attention." Honestly, I don't give a damn what she thinks, and I have told her not to question me with anything regarding how and/or when I carry.

We went to the Zoo on Saturday with her niece. She waited until we were pulling in to the parking lot to ask if I was carrying. I said yes, her eyes got big and she said "but there are KIDS there." I replied with 'so, that doesn't mean anything.' :rolleyesedit:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    We went to the Zoo on Saturday with her niece. She waited until we were pulling in to the parking lot to ask if I was carrying. I said yes, her eyes got big and she said "but there are KIDS there." I replied with 'so, that doesn't mean anything.' :rolleyesedit:

Actually the correct response would be: "Yeah. It would be a shame if some dirtbag decided it would be a good place to come kill all the kids and I couldn't stop him."

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I found out that my girlfriend doesn't quite like it when I OC. She says "it draws too much attention." Honestly, I don't give a damn what she thinks, and I have told her not to question me with anything regarding how and/or when I carry.

Next time give her the back hand. Disobedience and questiong of decisions, even in the form of seemingly innocent inquiries, must be quelled in the nascent stage. :thumbsup:

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    Actually the correct response would be: "Yeah. It would be a shame if some dirtbag decided it would be a good place to come kill all the kids and I couldn't stop him."
    I think I actually said something about an animal getting out. :):

Next time give her the back hand. Disobedience and questioning of decisions, even in the form of seemingly innocent inquiries, must be quelled in the nascent stage. :thumbsup:
    I have told her that I know what I am doing (even if I don't, she should assume that I do), and she shouldn't question it. If I am carrying somewhere (whether openly or concealed), then it is my decision and I must deal with any repercussions.

I have also told her not to volunteer the information that I carry. She did this with a co-worker when he invited us over, and he said "not in my house." If she wouldn't have said anything, he never would have known.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The big problems arise when someone you know asks whether or not you are carrying or makes some other comment about you being in possession of a gun IN PUBLIC ON AN OCCASION WHEN YOU DON'T WANT ANYONE TO KNOW.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    The big problems arise when someone you know asks whether or not you are carrying or makes some other comment about you being in possession of a gun IN PUBLIC ON AN OCCASION WHEN YOU DON'T WANT ANYONE TO KNOW.
    Some of my friends that know I carry ask if I am wearing my Depends. That's code for "Are you carrying." :):

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Inquiring minds want to know. How do you handle this?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I tell them STFU. And then inform them that it doesnt matter. My one buddy liked to make jokes about playing rambo, like it was ok to do stupid stuff because I'd get us out of it. I quickly informed him that dog don't hunt. Nada. Our evening will be no different based on whether I am carrying or not. You conduct yourself politely, as you normally should, and move on. But I avoid the question in the first place because it shouldn't have much impact on anybody else's actions. If a friend is generally worried about their safety and wants to discuss carrying, thats fine, but we don't discuss it in public. Furthermore, I am not your security guard. If its important to you, man up and jump through all the hoops the rest of us do.

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    Had that one happen to my via my parents outside an Applebee's . . . never thought I could be so pissed off. Happened again moving in when one of the assisting family members helping out asked where I wanted "my gu . . ." (cut them off before she finished). :xmad:

[hijack]
    After getting the Florida Permit, there's probably going to have to be a family briefing before we go out into public place to prevent a re-occurrence. I think they feel I'm being paranoid about things, but I'm in a new area that I don't know with neighbors I don't know so I probably will be very aware of my surroundings, a bit "paranoid", for the next few weeks. I'd also like if everyone that makes small talk while waiting in line with the family didn't know that I'm going to work for a gun company (a friend suggested just telling people I worked in medical devices, if pressed, just tell them I work in cranial and abdominal perforators). I'd be happy if no one in this area code knew I even knew what a gun was except for the people at the range and the gun stores. Guess I've heard one too many stories about people being "hit" because the scumbags knew they could score a gun or two.
    [/hijack]

Sorry for the rant, it's just something that's been eating at me for awhile.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Inquiring minds want to know. How do you handle this?

In the past, I've played it off as a joke. Something like, "Oh, yeah! Right. I'm carrying a gun. No, wait. I'm carrying THREE GUNS. Yeah," with plenty of sarcastic tone. I didn't have to lie, but the way I said made anyone who shouldn't know think I was making an asburd joke.

It's also happened when I knew it was coming before it was fully uttered. In those cases, a stopping it (perhaps with a firm grab on the arm and strong eye contact) worked okay.

Since then, I've been very careful. I don't talk about carrying guns with or among people I don't know. Of the people who do know how I live my life, I either know or I make sure they know to not discuss it in public. Sometimes a reminder is necessary.

What really sucks is when someone who knows me well enough to hug me, but doesn't know me well enough to shut up about things they might feel on my belt or elsewhere. Sometimes it raises questions whose answers depends on the location and who is withing earshot.

All in all, I don't think it hurts to "brief" family and friends that such things are personal business and should be kept strictly confidential. If you have someone in your life who resists the briefing, ask them how they would like it if you loudly question them about their masturbation practices in public. I think that might get the message across that some things are private.

Along those lines, my biggest issue has been keeping family members from discussin that I own firearms in front of others. The more people who know, the more likely your home is to be targeted for burglary specifically to obtain guns. One of my nephews has made comments to his friends (I've heard) them about what he THINKS I own, and I've had to have serious talks with him about keeping his mouth shut. His friends may be good kids, but 1) he isn't talking to just his friends, and 2) we don't know who will be around when his friends inevitably repeat what they think the story is. Eventually someone actually having one gun will be a story about an enormous arsenal that would be irresistable to certain opportunist miscreants.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Had that one happen to my via my parents outside an Applebee's . . . never thought I could be so pissed off. Happened again moving in when one of the assisting family members helping out asked where I wanted "my gu . . ." (cut them off before she finished). :xmad:

Wait until your mom tells everyone in the small town post office that you always carry a gun. Then visit the post office sometime, whether you choose to carry or not. It could get exciting. :D

[hijack]
    After getting the Florida Permit, there's probably going to have to be a family briefing before we go out into public place to prevent a re-occurrence. I think they feel I'm being paranoid about things, but I'm in a new area that I don't know with neighbors I don't know so I probably will be very aware of my surroundings, a bit "paranoid", for the next few weeks. I'd also like if everyone that makes small talk while waiting in line with the family didn't know that I'm going to work for a gun company (a friend suggested just telling people I worked in medical devices, if pressed, just tell them I work in cranial and abdominal perforators). I'd be happy if no one in this area code knew I even knew what a gun was except for the people at the range and the gun stores. Guess I've heard one too many stories about people being "hit" because the scumbags knew they could score a gun or two.
    [/hijack]

Amen, little brother.

Instead of medical devices, how about something vague like "precision machinery"?

Top Bottom