• ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Oh man, I must've kicked up some dust in here, my eyes are watering. I've buried some great cats in my backyard; I know what you're feeling.

Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    I have a 7 year old Golden and I fear the day I have to put him down. He is really my best friend.

Hang in there OP.
    I hope your Golden has a long, healthy, and happy life. That's one of the few consolations I have now. I gave Toby the best care and the best life he could ever want. I'd do almost anything for him.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I've been there once. As I'm reading this thread I'm looking at my 12 yo heeler laying at my feet. His health has been slipping. I feel your pain. My dogs are definately my best friends.

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    Sorry for your loss too, warangelcometh. We won't let Toby suffer; I'll go through the pain of being by his side while the vet ends his life in order to save him from the pain of a lingering death. He seems comfortable now and I'm giving him a low dose of pain medicine just in case. I just pray that I'll know when the time has come to let him go. I want him to have every minute on earth possible, but I also want that time to be happy and free of pain.

All of your thoughts and prayers are appreciated.

It's definitely an unselfish act to not let him suffer. I have to tell my wife that still to this day. Although the pain may never completely dissipate, the memories of all the good times will always be there.

Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Thank you. I loved the picture of your Goldens. They are beautiful. The kid's not bad either. ;)

It is a terrible decision to have to make, but I'm sure it's one that your dog would have made for himself if he could have. There are worse things than dying and I think living without dignity and in pain are two of them.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    That is a tuff thing to deal with. Because Dogs are the only creatures on earth that love you more than themselves.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Terrible news. I never say they are pets they are loved like children. And loosing one never gets easier. Wishing you and your family the best in this hard time.

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    Went through with putting down my Terrier this last spring . Hardest thing I ever had to do . Hope you took lots of pics. over the years

D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    Sorry to hear. I just had to put my Rottie of 15 years down. She had bone cancer, broke her leg walking. Nothing they could do. Worst thing Ive had to do in a while. Thoughts are with ya.

Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    This is Toby a couple of Christmas' ago. I believe he was saying "What? No more presents?"
    He has a lot more gray in his face now; Old Gold.:)

232323232%7Ffp53995%3Enu%3D64%3A6%3E363%3E254%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3A2628773345nu0mrj

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    This is Toby a couple of Christmas' ago. I believe he was saying "What? No more presents?"
    He has a lot more gray in his face now; Old Gold.:)

232323232%7Ffp53995%3Enu%3D64%3A6%3E363%3E254%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3A2628773345nu0mrj

Excuse me if you mentioned his age and I missed it, but if he has a lot of gray in his face, at least he lived a decently long and joyful life.

I lost my best friend(GSD) of 15 years last year and it was really rough...I still thank God I bought another GSD before he passed, because I don't know if I could have brought myself to get another one after Zeus passed.

Stay strong, buddy. It's going to be really tough, but just know he'll be in a better place, whatever that place may be.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Ugh! I HATE this part of having a pet. I completely understand. My Beagle is 15 yrs old and I'm watching him live his last days...

So sorry...

Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Excuse me if you mentioned his age and I missed it, but if he has a lot of gray in his face, at least he lived a decently long and joyful life.

I lost my best friend(GSD) of 15 years last year and it was really rough...I still thank God I bought another GSD before he passed, because I don't know if I could have brought myself to get another one after Zeus passed.

Stay strong, buddy. It's going to be really tough, but just know he'll be in a better place, whatever that place may be.
    Toby is 12 years old, but a very young 12. He is energetic and still plays hard. I expected him to outlive the average Golden but I guess that's just not in God's plans (unless, of course, He comes through with that miracle I've been praying for).

Thanks to everyone again for all of your kind words, thoughts, and prayers. It really does help to know that other people understand what we're going through. It seems like many here have lost pets recently.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    D**n, I hate these threads... Always make me remember my four-legged family members who're waiting at Rainbow Bridge and make me dread the day I have to send another one to join them. That's the only comfort in them being gone is that they'll be out of pain and that they'll be waiting for us when we get there. DeadeyeChrista'sDad, thanks for a great visual... I'm not looking forward to passing, but when my time comes, I'm looking forward to getting positively flattened!

Hanu and all who're looking at losing your friends and family members or have just done so... my thoughts and prayers are with you all.

God bless, all,
    Bill

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    My beloved Golden Retriever, Toby, has been diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma of his spleen. It's a fast growning cancer and it spreads quickly. Surgery would not save his life. The vet says he probably only has a few weeks to a few months left. I'm trying to give him as much love and attention (not to mention extra treats) as possible. He is a special part of our family and I don't want to imagine what life would be like without him. I'm praying for a miracle.

Hanu, This is a theory/poem/belief that both my husband Bill (aka BOR) and I truly believe in. We've been in your position many more times than we care to think about, but each time, altho it has broken our hearts, we did as we had to do, the last great act of kindness. So...here's hope for you:

Rainbow Bridge
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
    When an animal dies, that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills, for all of our special friends, so that they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water, and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops, and looks over into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

Your have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again! The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your friend, so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together......To be happy for all time!

I'm sorry if I made any typo's while doing this, it brings tears to my eyes for all the special friends I have waiting for me across Rainbow Bridge, and the hardest decision I have ever had to make, was to send them there in the first place. I've helped my mother and sister pass, but knowing that they had lived full and happy lives, and that it was their time, was something I could deal with. I'm a retired Paramedic, death was always around me, yet when it came to one of my "furry family", who relied on me for everything, not just food and water, but for the love that made their lives whole, and mine as well, that was the hardest of all, being there and holding them as they crossed over the Bridge, knowing I'll see them again, just not when. It still breaks my heart when I think about how much, and how unconditionally they loved me, and I thank God every day for letting me share their lives.

I will pray for a miracle with you, but I will also pray for the peace you will eventually find, knowing that you did the right thing, and that they will love you all the more for having had the courage to do so. Even if it breaks your heart.

7th Stepper
    With tears in my eyes, but with several furry friends/family members on the other side of Rainbow Bridge waiting for me. Our reunion will be joyous, and long! And the ones surrounding me here, now, will be there as well.

Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Thank you, 7th Stepper. I must have gotten into some of that dust that Mr. Evilwrench kicked up. My eyes are watering too.

I have to believe that too. It is too hard to think that God would keep us from the creatures that loved us the most when we leave this earth.

Top Bottom