• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kungfupipe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Greencastle
    i'm just entering the world of reloading and i have done some research as to what i need to get started, and all i found was heresay and convoluted ideas about spending up to $600 to get going. i need help, because i'm thinking i can get by with some basics and it woulbn't cost that much. please help me with some experienced opinions. thanks alot!

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders

Buy Once Cry Once...don't offer up the cheap crap...you will be spending some good money to be putting out 1000's of rounds for many years to come...do it right the first time. PM me if you want some used dies at $25 a pop. Plus some misc stuff.

rl550b.jpg

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm just getting started too. I purchased some used equipment from this board, and have been combing the for sale section here and on other forum for dies, etc.

Right now I've got less than 200 in my equipment, which is a simple single stage Lee press.

rookie0014

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    kokomo
    it will cost what you want it to i got in cheap to get started with used press then added things as i went to see what i really need or just want to have.:dunno: NOW SOME HOW IN ALL OF THIS MESS OF RELOADING I FIND MYSELF SHOOTING TO RELOAD AND BUYING CALIBERS OF GUNS I DON'T HAVE JUST SO I CAN GET MORE DIES AND STUFF TO RELOAD:dunno:.600 may sound like alot to you but trust me you will spend more than that when you get into it like you probaly will.

kungfupipe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Greencastle
    thanks to everyone for the advicce. i think i need to spend the extra money and go for the dillon 550 and do everything right the first time. hopefully i'll be crankin it out left and right, thanks again!

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    I agree with redneckmedic for the most part, Buy Once, Cry once and Dillion is a wonderful choice of equipment.

Yet on the other hand I have to stop and ask you what will you be primarily loading for? I assume that(since more and more are doing it for that reason) you are going to be doing a lot for handgun calibers. If this is the case I definately recommend going with Dillion, which I am working on the $$ for right now to aquire one as well. If you will be doing more rifle calibers I might suggest other wise if your intentions are geared more toward extreme accuracy, if not, again Dillion is the way to go.

I see you say yu are just getting into the world of reloading, Welcome to the family! Another thing I would like to recommend is that before you jump all in, start simple. By simple I don't mean start by using junk or cheap equipment, but on a single stage press. You can get good single stage presses fairly reasonable and IMHO this is the safest way to start the art of handloading. I am not saying that using progressive presses is a daunting or difficult task, most are fairly simple and very easy to use and operate when you get them setup right, but it does require a lot of attention to detail and some people get caught up in the attention spent operating the press and don't fully pay attention to what is coming out of it. So start simple, learn each individual step in detail to the degree you are familiar and comfortable with and then you will have that knowledge to apply to progressives and your chances of making an error that might come out very bad will more than likely be reduced.

Oh and definately take redneckmedic up on his offer for used dies, equipment, etc.. Used equipment is the best way to save you money!

Just my :twocents:!

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    kungfupipe, you don't say where you're located, but you might consider looking over someone's shoulder who already reloads, and see if that helps you decide. I did that when I started, and it saved me lots of head-scratchin', and some money, too. I'm 'bout halfway between Ft Wayne, and Indy..... if yer close, holler......

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    as fall draw's closer i will be offering more of my free reloading classes... i feel as if they have all gone over really well in the past and everybody left a happy customer... check out the archives or do a search in the events section for "reloading Indygunworks" and you should be able to find an aar....
    as others have said, buy once cry once... i started with crap "lee loadmaster" and ended up spending a few hundred more than i should have... if 600 is your start up cost... that will get you going minus components.... keep in mind though components right now are at elevated prices just the same as ammo... still cheaper... cost savings will be seen more on 44 mag 45 colt ect... and rifle ammo more than the common 9mm 40 45.... if you want to shoot alot, get a dillon.... i have a current offer (you would be helping me more than anything) to all of ingo that if you want a dillon 550 then you buy the 650 and get my 450 just a tad cheaper and i pay the differance... i want a 650 but dont want to sell my 550 first.... if you dont want to shoot alot but want a hobby.... get a dillon.... if you decide that you want to go the cheaper route you can still get quality.... it will just slow you down a bit more... i reccomend the rcbs rockchucker... aside from a single stage lee i am going to use for load development in the field, i will not venture away from dillon or the rockchucker.... let me know if you are interested in a reloading class in the next month or so and ill try to guage interest and maybe hold another one....
    IGW

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I still have (and use) my first press - a Lee Challenger press. 15 years later I still can't justify a Dillon, I don't shoot enough. A turret press make more sense for me and that is what I use now.

There's nothing wrong with getting a Lee Breech Lock kit to start out, then moving on to something with more speed.

My batches are usually 50-100 rounds, easy to do after the kids go to bed with a turret. And changeover is just as easy for the next batch.

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    :+1: on the RockChucker! I lucked into mine, I found it lightly used on FleaBAy a few years ago for like $67 shipped. I load for all my rifles on it and still a couple pistol calibers. I also use a turret press for most of my pistol calibers but now that I am starting to shoot my handguns more that is why I am trying to get me a Dillion.

But like I said, I still recommend starting out on a single stage, and also having a single stage around can come in real handy when you want to experiment with a different load, bullet, etc.. because it is alot easier to set and adjust it than change your settings on a progressive and adjust and readjust then turn around and have to reset it all back up for the original load if you change your mind or the load doesn't work.

briand212

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Putnam County IN
    My :twocents:
    First to the blue koolaid drinkers Please hold the flaming until the end :)

Unless you already have reloaded and KNOW that it is a hobby you want to persue I would not dump 600 into it to start.
    I would highly suggest the Lee single stage kit.
    1. it is priced very resonable
    2. it comes with just about everything you need to get started.
    3. and probably most important if you later decide that reloading isnt for you, you wont be out tons of cash.

Soap box time :D

I am sure you have noticed that the Dillion fans are very vocal about there products. take that with a grain of salt. seriously I have two friends that jumped into reloading and bought into the hype .
    (that if you buy a dillion you will never have any problems )
    and the presses always work flawlessly .. WRONG they are mechanical and yes even the great Dillons break from time to time..( got a great warrently though )

one bought a square deal and the other bought a 550. I can tell you both no longer reload.
    the friend that bought the square deal found that yes presses do have a learning curve and they do break.
    he became frustrated with the press . then sold it .

The one that bought the 550 damn near killed himself by not educating himself and figuring somehow the press would save him from his own ingnorance. it didnt.
    First reloaded round fired .. he was at the emergency room with burns on his hands , face and eyelids. his 550 is now sitting in his gragage rusting.
    (after looking at his setup I believe he not only double charged a 10mil round, the bullet was barely in the case. how the hell it fed in the gun I will never know )

My point with that is not to scare but to drill home you need to learn how to use this stuff and yes you can and will make mistakes. but if you follow directions, pay attention to what you are doing you will catch your mistakes.

anyway I will sum up

.. starting out with a single stage helps you safely learn the hobby and also let you get into it at a low cost. and out if needed

if you can go to a class and use several brands that is even better.

and remember read reloading manuals.. not just one but several !!!
    ok off my soapbox.
    let the flaming begin :popcorn:

My stats,,
    reloading for over 10years
    Presses, Lee challenger, Lee 4 hole turret, Lyman, Dies LEE, Redding,
    RCBS stuff and a few dillon guages

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I've only been reloading for a few years, but I'l tell you this......

If one isn't smarter than the machine, that machine can seriously hurt you, or get you hurt.

I looked over another's shoulder for several sessions before I bought my equipment. Then he looked over my shoulder for several sessions, before I went solo. You can educate ignorance, but we usually read about stupid. I've had no bad rounds make it to the gun, but I have caught a few mistakes before they got out of the press.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    I myself am rather new to the reloading process and can offer some insight.

There is a learning curve. I took a NRA course on reloading and I recammend that to help learn the basics. If you don't shoot much or know if you will like it I agree start on the low end, used items from craigslist or ebay is a good start until you know you like it.

The single stage press I use to reload my rifle ammo, and I use a RCBS pro for all my handgun ammo. I'm comfy using both but I took it slow to build confidence in what I was doing and the results I was getting. Months later its second nature now.

Alot of up front cost, so if your not interested in investing, then its not going to pay off until you shoot enough rounds to make it worth the effort. And it does take time to reload, no distractions, so if you don't have "time" then the equipment might just sit.

Good luck, everyone on here has been helpful answering my simple questions so when in doubt - ask.
    :D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Grant County
    I'm another fan of the Dillon 550. I've had it long enough that the price was around 285.00 new in the box. I can tell you this, they are a somewhat involved machine and they do require some tweaking. Especially in the necked rifle cases.

If you do go ahead and start out with the 550, please go slow and easy to start with. You will most likely have a learning curve to go through. The Dillon can deceive someone new to reloading, because the speed that is available can lull you into not being observant enough. That will most definitely get you hurt.

Just as in shooting a gun, speed comes with practice and paying attention to the details.
    Good luck and happy reloading.

Top Bottom