• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daclamdvm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Looking for some input from the group. I am having a difficult time sizing military brass for my 308. This is Indian military brass. I sized, reamed the primer pocket, and loaded it once, fired it in my Mauser, and now am sizing it a second time. I am using Lee dies. It is really difficult on the down-stroke, and even harder coming up. I finally stripped off the rim and got a case stuck. I'm using Hornady 1-shot lube. Normally, I don't don't have any problems with my set-up.

Can the brass be too hard? Do I need to go back to a grease-type lube? I've had uniformly good luck with Lee dies, but these are not small base or anything like that. I've used this exact brass before and this is the first time I had this type of problem.

Thanks in advance.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Definitely a lube issue. Two suggestions - Lee's resizing lube or the RCBS lube/pad combo. Lee rifle dies like a lot of lube - don't forget to hit the inside of the neck with a q-tip.

You may or may not want to try Astroglide if you can't find the RCBS or Lee locally. This may or may not work and I make no specific claims.

Additionally - if you've fireformed the brass in your Mauser chamber, you should consider picking up the neck-size only dies. You'll never case-lube again and your brass life DOES increase!

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    if you're just shooting it out of your mauser, i'd just neck size them once they'd been sized to it's chamber. otherwise, you're definitely going to have to change the oil!

workinman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    NWI
    hornady or imperial sizing wax works great for your application... typically you need to put it on with your fingers on at a time though. i use one-shot for 223. anything bigger i use hornady wax

Top Bottom