• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I have a relative in il and I was wondering I he buys a gun from an individual, does it have to be registered? He wants to get a few guns but is unsure of the registering of them. He does have his foid card.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    If I recall correctly, buyer and seller have to swap FOID numbers and keep the bill of sale for 10 years. No need to go thru an FFL.

Note....I haven't lived in the peoples republic for nearly 15 years now. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to learn that's changed now.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I cannot swear to my info either, but hear it is anyways. Two people I know have their FOID cards and say you are supposed to register any guns with the State Police, I have know idea if they are correct, just glad I do not live there.

87gsxr711

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Valparaiso
    When I lived in Illinois I just made out my own record of transfer, including the serial number and mine and the purchasers signature. Not sure that was right or not.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    If both are Illinois residents they must record FOID numbers and the seller must keep for ten years. To be completley legal the waiting period must be observed; 24hrs long gun, 72hrs handgun. There is no state registration required. However some "home rule" cities such as Chicago will require more paperwork and possibly registration. I am only familiar with the state requirements because I do not live near any "home rule" areas. Jim.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I used to do a lot of work in south Chicago and I was amazed at the number of times I saw older teens and young adult males swapping FOID card information on the street corners before handing a gun to the other person.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    If both are Illinois residents they must record FOID numbers and the seller must keep for ten years. To be completley legal the waiting period must be observed; 24hrs long gun, 72hrs handgun. There is no state registration required. However some "home rule" cities such as Chicago will require more paperwork and possibly registration. I am only familiar with the state requirements because I do not live near any "home rule" areas. Jim.

Hes 100% correct if you want to check why dont you go to the horses' mouth itself?
    Municipal Ordinances Relating To Firearms Public Act 92-0238

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/9-049.pdf

430 ILCS 65/  Firearm Owners Identification Card Act.

If you need help breaking down the foid act let me know but the other two should be explanatory

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    What if I'm from Indiana, and go into IL to buy a rifle of shotgun. Can they do the paper work there and I take it home? Or is there some thing where anything in IL has to be shipped to your ffl if you are from out of state?

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    Damn, I thought that would be an easy one for someone, what with all of the law quoting and posting of regulations and such.

Complain to the atf or call ISP firearms services division(IL state) and ask them what you need to know.

hdchaplain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2008
    Central Indiana
    What if I'm from Indiana, and go into IL to buy a rifle of shotgun. Can they do the paper work there and I take it home? Or is there some thing where anything in IL has to be shipped to your ffl if you are from out of state?

As an out of stater, I don't think you can buy anything (firearms or ammo) over there without a FOID. I could be wrong on that, but a few years back I tried to buy some sale priced ammo at a store where I knew the clerk and he wouldn't sell it to me...no FOID.
    By the same token, years ago I took my son to the 1500 where he wanted an SKS, but the guy would not sell it to him because he had an Illinois drivers license. So I bought it for him.
    All my family still lives there and I go visit once in a while, but I ain't moving back. :twocents:

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Thats an easy one.
    If you are an Indiana resident you CANNOT legally buy ANY gun from a resident(non dealer) of Illinois. That is because it is transporting/buying guns across state lines.
    You can buy a long gun from a dealer in Illinois. You can buy a handgun from a dealer in Illinois but the dealer has to send it to "your" FFL in your home state for the transfer to you.
    Typically the rules are you can buy a long gun from any state that touches your home state.(and take it home with you after the waiting period)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom