• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Understood. And looping the staps through the compression sack straps was not really secure? Just asking. I've not tried this scenario.

It would be relatively secure, but the plastic buckles on those sacks are not anywhere near a rugged as those on the packs. They have a tendency to come loose and break much more often.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Yeah, the GI sleep system is bulky, but it's capable of being tailored for the expected environment. To me, the big items are the Gore-Tex bivvy bag and the intermediate bag. In warmer weather, I pack the bivvy bag and a poncho liner, plus an SOL emergency bivvy. In the fall and winter, I add the other bags as needed, depending upon the weather. Other combinations I've tried have included one-man tent and bivvy/poncho liner combos.
    I'm lazy (and don't have much extra time) so I don't change my prep packs. They are all ready to go year round with the same multi-purpose supplies to sustain me in nearly any environment nearby. I just don't have time to change packing constantly and it tends to make me want to add more (often less necessary) stuff to it.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I'm lazy (and don't have much extra time) so I don't change my prep packs. They are all ready to go year round with the same multi-purpose supplies to sustain me in nearly any environment nearby. I just don't have time to change packing constantly and it tends to make me want to add more (often less necessary) stuff to it.

I don't disagree. In winter, I toss the sleeping bags in the back of the car with the BOB. Whatever works.

columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Understood. And looping the staps through the compression sack straps was not really secure? Just asking. I've not tried this scenario.

nope! :laugh:

i had no other choice. On top of that failure, the weight distribution was horrible and hurt my back because of this. The GI had to go.

columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    a few key points I would like to point out

- I have spend time camping in a lean too shelter and an "A" Frame shelter made of wood,leaves and pine needles.
    *Sure you can watch some YT videos on how to make them incase SHTF. I try it 1st hand.
    * I learned it takes time, energy and patience....Did i mention TIME? The one major problem i had, was psychologically. Tons of things moving and crawling all over. The lean too shelter didn't do much...."sheltering". The "A" frame shelter was ok. But again, tons of insects and what not.

Now. As far as tents. I've camped in the wal-mart Cheap-O Tents in the winter along with the GI Sleeping system- Problem: It was too dam cold!

that is why i went with a large tent I could put a stove in. it keeps me off the ground away from the spiders, fire ants and every little know insect known to man kind. It provides shelter for my dog as well. And most important- It keeps the ticks off me and my dog.

For the amount of weight as a sleeping system (maybe 1lb more) i got shelter and a stove inside my tent.
    The 1 person tents suck! If you break a pole/rod, than your SH** out of luck. With the Teepee tent all you need is a center pole (which you can make from a stick. Or hand it from a tree branch.
    I've put alot of thinking as to what will be going in my BOB. And a Teepee shelter was one.

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    I just use the standard compression sack and stuff it in. Usually it's the very bottom item for me because it's not something I use each time I use the pack. There is a bit of technique to packing it though I guess. Is that what you're curious about in getting it to fit?

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was wondering about. I also have a sleep pad that's rolled up in mine. I can get all of this in the black bag but it's a tight fit. Like you mentioned, the straps at the bottom just aren't the best for securing this thing. I will probably look for some other straps that will help. No matter how much a try to tighten it down, it seems to sort of bounce around still.

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    Major downside- the weight distribution is awful. Thats why i got rid of the GI Sleep system. and yes, i'm talking about the 4 piece. I think the sleep system weighs around 14-16lbs..... So i Opt out of it, got me a tent and my next purchase will be a portable collapsible wood stove i can put inside my tent and it only weighs less than 5lbs.

About 10lbs

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    My hammock with fully-enclosed bug net, rainfly, underquilt, and 15* sleeping bag all fit in the ILBE assault pack with plenty of room to spare. It's hard to beat that for a bug-out sleep system.

columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    My hammock with fully-enclosed bug net, rainfly, underquilt, and 15* sleeping bag all fit in the ILBE assault pack with plenty of room to spare. It's hard to beat that for a bug-out sleep system.

I was going to go with a hammock. But that doesn't provide shelter for my dog from bugs and cold weather.

another benefit of having a teepee tent is, I can store wood if i tend to stay for a long period of time in one spot. This gives me a change to store wood in case it rains or snows.

dontcha

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2013
    United States
    I just pop a 10mg ambien and sleep sitting up, back against a tree, in a hammock that is slung that way, under a poncho that is hung like a teepee, sort of. The entire setup time is about 5 minutes. I dont waste space inside of the pack for the "extra" clothes or shelter/sleep gear. I roll all that up in the poncho and strap it under the pack. This means that I can get by with a much smaller, lighter pack. I save about 10 lbs that people normally waste on such stuff. When I pack up in the morning, it takes 10 minutes, and there's no trace that I was ever there. A well trained dog could be in another such hammock, I suppose.

columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    I just pop a 10mg ambien and sleep sitting up, back against a tree, in a hammock that is slung that way, under a poncho that is hung like a teepee, sort of. The entire setup time is about 5 minutes. I dont waste space inside of the pack for the "extra" clothes or shelter/sleep gear. I roll all that up in the poncho and strap it under the pack. This means that I can get by with a much smaller, lighter pack. I save about 10 lbs that people normally waste on such stuff. When I pack up in the morning, it takes 10 minutes, and there's no trace that I was ever there. A well trained dog could be in another such hammock, I suppose.

A dog in a hammock? You do realize dogs have large nails....right?
    :rolleyes:

columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Your scenario of rolling up like a caccon is one thing.

I've actually spend time out in the bush camping in warm weather and cold weather. There is 1 thing that scares me the most. Not snakes, spiders, coyotes. But ticks.

[video=youtube;xjx7ssF3d9M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjx7ssF3d9M&lc=sFroJ2aljC7amsDvcuQA12rC31l ELgsJAxQumg4W5B8[/video]

I've found a few ticks on me a few times and the last thing i want is to wake up with a tick on my back. You cannot feel them until you touch them. They are deadly.

I know what works for me.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Here a hammock tent actually isnt a bad idea...super light weight and the good ones you can use as a hammock to get off the ground with (i've done it with my 95 pound buddy) and if there are no trees around you can use improvised poles to make a usable tent on the ground.

s6txj4.jpg

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I was going to go with a hammock. But that doesn't provide shelter for my dog from bugs and cold weather.

another benefit of having a teepee tent is, I can store wood if i tend to stay for a long period of time in one spot. This gives me a change to store wood in case it rains or snows.

A dog in a hammock? You do realize dogs have large nails....right?
    :rolleyes:

A5CIY.jpg

columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    :) Not my dog. I bet it would be something you would have to start working with them on as a puppy, but it sure looks cozy in the winter!

It looks cozy, but its not. I have a 90lb shepperd and he has sleep on top of me (likes it when i scratch his head), he'll asleep on top of me. and trust me, 90lbs on top of you isn't comfortable.

Top Bottom