• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amhenry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Bloomington
    Combatives is useful training no matter who you are, and if you carry, either CC or OC, it's perfectly reasonable to set aside some time to learn how best to retain control of the deadly weapon that you carry on your person.

Not every situation calls for you to go to gun right away. I'm not a big guy. If I ended up, for any reason, getting stuck in a knock down fight, maintaining control over my sidearm would be a major concern for me.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    The key is mindset, and you are thinking about it, what your response to be. - George

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    There is nothing worse than feeling someones hands on your gun. Especially since it usually happens from behind.

You will NOT rise to the occasion

I know this is a serious thread, and I appreciate the thought put into it, but there is a joke somewhere above... :D:D:D

Ragenarok007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Mooresville
    Yes

nuff said there......many people don't realize the distance a man with a knife can close before you can draw a weapon

Actually, a few of us did a semi-scientific experiment that confirmed the figures we had read. The average attacker can sprint 22 feet with a knife before the average shooter can draw and aim and fire one round. That doesn't allow for follow up shots or misses either, so yeah a knife within 30 feet can potentially be as lethal as a gun.

More people are injured and killed by knives in robberies than guns. People are more likely to resist someone with a knife thinking it isn't as dangerous.

When I went through police training we were had to do lots of weapons retention. Its good to keep it in mind at all times, even the way you hold yourself or how you position yourself. Like if I'm carrying, concealed or open, I make sure that I sit with my gun to the wall in a restaurant or at least away from the aisle. I never sit with my back to a door either, carrying or not. Eventually you get in the habit of thinking this way and you start to automatically take such precautions.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    The problem is we deal with most people at 3-5 feet not 21. At that range it is definitely not a gun problem, it is a combatives problem.

Just did another into to tac pistol class the other night with 10 people. The last thing we did was have me charge them with a stun gun from 21 feet. Here are the results and some thoughts-

1) Even at extremely close distances people put two hands on the gun.
    2) That once they do put the support hand on the gun, they do not remove it to defend themselves and often just end up exchanging fatal rounds for fatal rounds and strikes.
    3) Even when rushed in wide open spaces people stand still or move backwards on the same line as the attack.

We also find that-

1) You cannot close one of your eyes while shooting a moving target.
    2) You cannot do the old "two the chest and one to the head" bull**** and fairy dust tale when someone is charging you.
    3) You better have some open hand combatives skill for when not if your weapon malfunctions.
    4) That the vast majority of rounds strike the attacker COM even without using your sights, but these rounds are going to primarily to the Circulatory System which is notoriously slow for stopping people. So when you focus on only your shooting and not moving they are still likely to hit/stab/cut you before they die.

- George

Top Bottom