• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    What do you think - OC with an Ankle Holster?
    Overcome.

SqcF2.jpg

If I ever went Blind, I'd probably Drop Leg a 12Gauge. Don't Startle Me Though.
    Smiley_blind.gif
    :ar15:

They guy's accuracy has NOTHING on how fast he can reload a mag...Freaking crazy.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    No, an exposed weapon is an invitation for a grab. Have you ever thought of that? What do you think your reaction would be.- George

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    No, an exposed weapon is an invitation for a grab. Have you ever thought of that? What do you think your reaction would be.- George

That scares me that some people dont even train in weapon retention an yet open carry. :n00b:

If im right many police officers have been killed with their own gun after someone took it from their holster, and they were trained in weapon retention.
    I cant imagine how much more police officers would have been killed if they had no training.
    So if you never had any training in weapon retention, never train and dont even think that it's an important skill I strongly suggest you to CC or to leave your gun at home.
    You dont want to get shot with your own gun.

:twocents:

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    There is nothing worse than feeling someones hands on your gun. Especially since it usually happens from behind.

You will NOT rise to the occasions, you WILL default to the level of your training

- George

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    I agree, at close range (21 feet rule) my gun would not be my first option.
    For me you shouldn't carry a gun if you cant defend yourself with your bare hands. I see many people that think they are armed just because they carry a gun.

This statement makes no sense to me. Your saying if your old, weaker or handicapped that you shouldn't carry a gun for self defense?

I thought that was the whole point of being armed is that a fire arm is the "equalizer" for people who can't defend themselves with their bare hands.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    This statement makes no sense to me. Your saying if your old, weaker or handicapped that you shouldn't carry a gun for self defense?

I thought that was the whole point of being armed is that a fire arm is the "equalizer" for people who can't defend themselves with their bare hands.

No im not saying that.
    You should read a previous post I made in this thread where I talk about handicaped people.

Here im talking about non-handicaped, you can still defendd yourself even if you are weaker.Hand-to-hand combat is not only for fit men in their 30's like I said earlier.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    There is nothing worse than feeling someones hands on your gun. Especially since it usually happens from behind.

You will NOT rise to the occasions, you WILL default to the level of your training

- George

George - when are you going to be in Indy next? I would be honored to take one of your classes.

Guy

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I use the "Armed Citizen" approach to training: If grandmas, young kids, pregnant women, etc can successfully use a gun to protect themselves as detailed in the NRA magazines each month I'll be about as good.

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    I use the "Armed Citizen" appr"oach to training: If grandmas, young kids, pregnant women, etc can successfully use a gun to protect themselves as detailed in the NRA magazines each month I'll be about as good.

My point exactly. People defend themselves successfully all the time without spending thousands on "hand to hand" combat lessons. If you feel you need it, that's great. I just don't think it is for everyone...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I use the "Armed Citizen" approach to training: If grandmas, young kids, pregnant women, etc can successfully use a gun to protect themselves as detailed in the NRA magazines each month I'll be about as good.

Of course they wont talk about people who got killed with their own guns in a NRA magazine or people who got stabed before they could reach for their gun. :rolleyes:
    You can defend yourself with a gun without knowing any hand-to-hand techniques in most of the situations.
    That doesn't mean you should not prepare for the worth situation where you have to fight with a stronger and faster opponent who is trying to get to your gun.
    Train for the worth and hope for the best.
    Also with this kind of training you never feel unarmed, even without a gun.

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Also with this kind of training you never feel unarmed, even without a gun.

This. After training with mercop I am much more comfortable without my firearm. Don't get me wrong, I carry everywhere the law allows, but for those times I can't carry the training I've had gives me much greater confidence that I will be able to survive a confrontation. Also there is the obvious benefit that not every situation calls for a gun to be used even when you do have one on.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    This. After training with mercop I am much more comfortable without my firearm. Don't get me wrong, I carry everywhere the law allows, but for those times I can't carry the training I've had gives me much greater confidence that I will be able to survive a confrontation. Also there is the obvious benefit that not every situation calls for a gun to be used even when you do have one on.

Agree! :yesway:
    Most people who are untrained in empty hand fighting go straight for their gun even if there is no need for it.
    Or they go straigh to the gun when you have other things to do first, like blocking a knife attack at very short range.
    Like the saying goes, if you only have a hammer everything looks like a nail.
    I like to have options, from empty hands to gun.
    And you can still use lethal force, if you need to, without your gun.
    I dont feel unarmed in a plane because I still have other weapons with me and even with no weapons at all I learned how to defend myself with my bare hands.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    The thing is that the hands follow the pain. How do you think you would react if when wearing a pistol, OC or not, you got punched square in the face or pepper sprayed. I don't even need your hands to go up that high before I can sink in a blood choke and walk away with your gun instead of fighting you over it. Think about these things now. Not when they happen.

How many times has this happened to an OCer?

IMO you have a better chance of being shot by a Gunsite level shooter than being attacked when OCing

Maybe you don't get it, criminals choose the easy path, they attack people that they think they can win against, someone with a gun is generally referred to as a hard target, criminals choose soft targets

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    How many times has this happened to an OCer?

IMO you have a better chance of being shot by a Gunsite level shooter than being attacked when OCing

Maybe you don't get it, criminals choose the easy path, they attack people that they think they can win against, someone with a gun is generally referred to as a hard target, criminals choose soft targets

If it happened once, you would be remiss in not considering it and preparing for the possibilty. We train for what "might" happen, not what we "hope" happens..... murphy's law bro

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I train for what might happen, IMO this won't happen, never has, I'll train for realistic situations, not for Internet commando made up crap

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I train for what might happen, IMO this won't happen, never has, I'll train for realistic situations, not for Internet commando made up crap

But how do you know it won't happen? It's a possibility that it could happen. I know for a fact, because it happened last year, that a guy was distracted by a BG coming up to him asking for money, and the BG immediately punched him in the face. While another guy came from behind and knocked him to his knees.

**** happens. Especially when you don't expect it. You're an idiot if you don't train for the most unrealistic possibilities. Because there is always the chance it could happen.

And I'm talking about quality training. Not that back yard crap.

Top Bottom