• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I think you should have that training even if you CC.
    Weapon rentention and hand-to-hand combat are just as important as shooting skills if you carry a gun in my opinion.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I think you should have that training even if you CC.
    Weapon rentention and hand-to-hand combat are just as important as shooting skills if you carry a gun in my opinion.

nuff said there......many people don't realize the distance a man with a knife can close before you can draw a weapon

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    nuff said there......many people don't realize the distance a man with a knife can close before you can draw a weapon

Who says you have to remain in the same spot while you draw your weapon? I run through drills on pulling my IWB carry pistol alternating between side steps, side skips , back steps and back steps with skips and various other movements while drawing and acquiring proper sight alignment on a stationary target.

I would love to find someone I could practice with on hand to hand combat focusing on deflection of firearm pointed at me and vise versa.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I agree, at close range (21 feet rule) my gun would not be my first option.
    For me you shouldn't carry a gun if you cant defend yourself with your bare hands. I see many people that think they are armed just because they carry a gun.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Who says you have to remain in the same spot while you draw your weapon? I run through drills on pulling my IWB carry pistol alternating between side steps, side skips , back steps and back steps with skips and various other movements while drawing and acquiring proper sight alignment on a stationary target.

Just do the test with a friend and you will see why moving while drawing will still get you stabed.
    If someone grabs your belt while pulling a knife out, do you go for your gun or do you block the knife first? :dunno:

You also dont need to waste time with sight alignment at the distances we are talking about, 21 feet and less if somehow you still have the time to pull your gun out.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I should add that although I haven't had professional training in weapon retention I have had training in self defense(knife, gun, and hand to hand)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I agree, at close range (21 feet rule) my gun would not be my first option.
    For me you shouldn't carry a gun if you cant defend yourself with your bare hands. I see many people that think they are armed just because they carry a gun.

What about guys who are disabled? There are a lot of people out there who actually aren't physically able to defend themselves with their own hands and feet.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    What about guys who are disabled? There are a lot of people out there who actually aren't physically able to defend themselves with their own hands and feet.

if you can't use your hand AND your feet....I think you're pretty well F****d.......but in any case...I always carry a blade as well as a gun

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    Just do the test with a friend and you will see why moving while drawing will still get you stabed.
    If someone grabs your belt while pulling a knife out, do you go for your gun or do you block the knife first? :dunno:

You also dont need to waste time with sight alignment at the distances we are talking about, 21 feet and less if somehow you still have the time to pull your gun out.

Yeah I agree I can still get stabbed, but creating space between me and the attacker will benefit me. I haven't trained through courses specifically to being attacked with a knife.

I would like to find some people wanting to run through scenarios of the type though.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    if you can't use your hand AND your feet....I think you're pretty well F****d.......but in any case...I always carry a blade as well as a gun

I know a guy who is in a wheelchair because he lost the ability to use his legs in a bomb blast. He was in the Army. When he got back from overseas, he lost an arm from a farming accident.

He carries a gun all the time. Yea, he's pretty much ****ed. :rolleyes:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

nuff said...again...lol

my friend and I regularly train realistic scenarios and practice hand to hand (he's also a Marine)...such scenarios can save your life....and we completely believe in the training "ideals" the corps teaches..... "always maintain combat readiness....train hard, so combat seems easy"

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    nuff said...again...lol

my friend and I regularly train realistic scenarios and practice hand to hand (he's also a Marine)...such scenarios can save your life....and we completely believe in the training "ideals" the corps teaches..... "always maintain combat readiness....train hard, so combat seems easy"

I'm jealous! I have nobody to train with on realistic scenarios. :dunno:

I'm a little guy too so this type of stuff I try to seek out so I'll be prepared if the time ever comes that I have to use my knowledge to offend off a BG

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I know, for those people (sidabled or old) their gun is their only way to defend themselves and their is not much training they can do to prevent someone from taking their gun away from them im affraid.
    In that case having a gun is better than not being armed I guess.

But I wasn't talking about disabled people.I see many people who are fit (or kinda fit for some :):), have two legs and two arms, and dont even think about how important hand-to-hand combat is when you carry a gun.
    Im not saying that we should all study martial arts for years and workout in order to defend ourselves.

Many key techniques can be learned by almost anyone (young, old, female, male) and with enough practice they can be very effective.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I know a guy who is in a wheelchair because he lost the ability to use his legs in a bomb blast. He was in the Army. When he got back from overseas, he lost an arm from a farming accident.

He carries a gun all the time. Yea, he's pretty much ****ed. :rolleyes:

along with the gun....I would recommend a high energy stun gun....which if properly placed could be easier/faster to grab....possibly even rig it inside a sleeve or something

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    nuff said...again...lol

My brother and I both study martial arts and have been for a few years, we always attack eachother (bare hands, knives, sticks, guns, bottles ... you name it) without warning in order to practice.
    That scares some people sometimes but it's a good training. :):

Top Bottom