• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    If you haven't got yours yet, I want to share my CMP M1 Garand that arrived this past week. I ordered the Springfield Service Grade in February and then waited. Civilian Marksmanship did me well, with a WWII February-March 1944 Garand.
    The barrel is Springfield 1945 and from what I can see all the parts are SA. I was very excited to see USGI walnut with a faint EMcF cartouche and arsenal stamp on the stock. The proof marks are all present. The OP rod is uncut, a pleasant surprise and the barrel ME 1 and TE 2, shiny and hardly any wear.
    If you have been waiting and thinking that you want to own one go for it.:patriot:

picture.php
    t.

boomboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2009
    Kinda mad I didnt pick one up in the 90s I shot a NRA qualify with all the guys at work then. I didnt want to spend the cash (wanted some modern goodies first). I thought the supply was bottomless oh well.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I tell my wife that I wish I would have started buying them right out of high school, would have been an excellent investment in the long run. The price seems high now but I can only imagine what may happen when the supply comes to an end. Hope to buy at least one more, I don't own a Winchester yet.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Mailorder?

I'm real curious. I know how the CMP program works and it looks like you made out fine on your purchase.

Did you just choose to not make the drive over to Camp Perry? Just let the staff at the North Store pick out your SG SA?

I really need a piece of history too!

PappyD

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Mmm love me some M1 Garand action, that's a fine looking rifle! They deserve to be shot and cleaned and preserved. Many men died with that rifle in their hands helping keep this country good. :patriot:

itsgreg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hudson
    I have heard too many horror stories to buy one like that. Looks like you got a good one tho. If i hear more stories like this you might make a believer out of me.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I have heard too many horror stories to buy one like that. Looks like you got a good one tho. If i hear more stories like this you might make a believer out of me.

I don't know what stories you've heard, but we have ordered about 15 Garands from the CMP and the worst thing thats happened is getting current production wood on it (maybe 3 of them). The $625 for a service grade is worth every penny.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    In regards to the CMP, I have nothing but good to say about their program. Both rifles I received this year have been excellent and no issues. Due to work and family I could not make the drive to North Store. One day I will, soon I hope, with money to buy a rifle.
    I had some concern about doing the order by mail but it worked out well.

indyjohn we will have to shoot there war horses one weekend.... will make it happen sometime this summer

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    If the rod is uncut you might want to replace it. It may be worth a premium price. They are getting hard to find.

What is an uncut rod? I have a SA M-1 bought in the 80's. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    The op rod would sometimes start to crack from the stress, so they made relief cuts in them. I think, but dont take it as 100% here, that post war rifle op rods were made with the relief cut area.
    An un-cut op rod is more rare now, I take it, and a collector item to make a WWII gun "original". Here is a good picture of both to compare.

M1 Garand - Nomenclature - Operationg Rod (oprod)

Jmak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have one I bought some years ago though it is a Century rebuild. It is really fun to shoot but ammo is so costly. I bought an Amos can of Korean amo a few years ag at Knob Creek. I also have a few rounds of machine gun ammo I bought and removed from links.

Top Bottom