• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Let's say you already own one machine gun. Its your typical beginners MG, something of the Mac variety, so you've got subgun/9mm/.22/buzzgun and all that good stuff covered. Its your "fun gun". You can actually afford to take it out and shoot it, and it still puts smiles on everyones face when you let them shoot it.

But you're a man, a real man, and sometimes zipping pistol caliber ammo into things at lightspeed just doesn't cut it. You're a typical middle class man, and you know you'll only be able to maybe afford one more MG for the rest of your life (thanks Obama). So you better make the next one something you're really gonna love. You want something that's going to satisfy that urge inside of you that screams that old refrigerator MUST BE pumped full of lead, and destroyed beyond all recognition. When blasting out some high caliber stuff you want it to thump not only your chest, but anyone in the general vicinity who may be watching. But remember you're not rich or even near wealthy, its gonna take many years of concentrated saving and discipline to finally afford "the one". You already had to sacrifice some of your children from the gunsafe to help get some funds, and you've still gotta feed the beast once you have it. You won't shoot it often, maybe a few times a year for holidays and other gatherings. After many years, you finally have somewhere around $17-23 thousand saved up. (Obviously money that has been hidden from your wife for the past ten to twenty years). And now its time to decide, which machine gun do you buy? And why?

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    same, hk sear or pack. gets you every thing from 308 belt fed with a 9.5 barrel to a 9mm subgun and every thing inbetween

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    M2 HB. Real MGs are belt fed, and 50 BMG gets the job done. Pre-86, I recall new ones for $12k. It was a different country back then.

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    2012KYArfComShootFall_Shrike_01.jpg

M16 and Shrike 5.56 belt fed upper
    -5.56 is still cheaper than 308
    -Uses standard M249 links
    -Quick change barrel
    -Add a suppressor for extra fun

[video=youtube;1hLhfvhLsH4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hLhfvhLsH4[/video]
    M16 and XMG Belt-Fed AR-15/M16 Upper Receiver
    -8mm is still relatively cheap
    -MG34 style coolness

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I don't care for your parameters. FN Mk. 48

If only there were transferables...

2012KYArfComShootFall_Shrike_01.jpg

M16 and Shrike 5.56 belt fed upper
    -5.56 is still cheaper than 308
    -Uses standard M249 links
    -Quick change barrel
    -Add a suppressor for extra fun

I was thinking exactly that, or a 1919. It would be a very hard decision for me. Id put KNS grops on the shrike though, and put it on an MG42 AA tripod:ar15:

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    If only there were transferables...

I was thinking exactly that, or a 1919. It would be a very hard decision for me. Id put KNS grops on the shrike though, and put it on an MG42 AA tripod:ar15:

A 1919 would be really cool but the M16 would have an advantage in the versatility area. So many caliber conversions means you can use the caliber that is cheapest given the market at the time. Cheap (relatively) and readily available parts for the M16/AR15 means that when stuff breaks or gets worn out, it is a quick and cheap fix. Furthermore, a 1919 is not a suppressor friendly platform, however, the M16/AR15 is readily suppressed in many calibers and configurations.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Hard to beat the versatility of an HK trigger pack or DIAS / lightning link, but I would want a Kalashnikov, especially in 5.45. I don't know if any 74's were registered pre 86, but I once saw pictures of a converted Polytech AKS223 that was converted to 5.45, and dressed like a AK105 :drool:. Might be cheaper to just move to Africa though :laugh:

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    HK pack or sear is a good choice, I run mine in clones. My cheap Century C-93 runs like a champ, as does my Bobcat BW-5.

The M16 is a good choice too and slightly cheaper to get into. Lots of versatility, from .22 to belt fed. As far as the XMG upper, I thought there was a ruling on those that they couldn't be used on a transferable M16?

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I'd take a milled AK-47 without a second thought. Ammo is cheap, parts are always available, and they feel WAY better to me than an M-16. Drum fed, mag fed, shoots full of sand or dirt, and can easy handle a lifetime of ammunition. 30cal bullet is relatively accurate and has good knock-down. In my opinion, its the best 'simple' FA out there.

Top Bottom