If you could only choose between these 2....?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lilop

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I've been thinking about this for a while, and it's now time for me to decide between the following two rifles. These are primarily for range/plinking, and extreme home defense scenarios (although in all honesty I would probably pick up my shotgun in that situation). The two rifles in question are the KelTec SU-16C (Kel Tec) for $549 + tax, and the Bushmaster Carbon-15 (Bushmaster - Home Defense & Recreation Rifles) for $699 with a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot scope. Both rifles are lightweight, use 5.56 ammo, and take AR mags. More importantly, both are in my price range. If these were the only two (2) rifles you could pick from, which would you choose?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Since you asked b/w those 2 I'd say the Bushy. Since the Carbon 15 was taken over by Bushmaster and they refined it a bit they are decent rifles. Bradis has had some good deals on ARs lately, check with them.

JeremySS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I wouldn't buy either of those. You can pick this AR up cheaper than that Carbon piece of junk.

Doublestar Star 15 M4 16" 6 Pos. Stock .223 for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $669.00

So add a $125 Bushnell TRS-25 and the price of the Double Star is now 794.00 plus FFL transfer fee of $35+ or so. Total will be $829+ which may be out of his price range.

Also, since you obviously own or have owned a new style Carbon 15 (with the dust cover and forward assist like what Bradis is selling) in order to be able to provide such a strong opinion on it, what should I watch out for on mine? Since it is clearly junk I would like a recommendation on the parts I should start swapping out before the rifle spontaneously combusts or something.

BTW, here is the thread on mine in case anyone wants to see some details on it. I have about 200 rounds through it so far without a hiccup.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/95480-bushmaster_c15_orc_dial-up_beware.html

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    What is the attraction to the SU-16C? Why not the "A" of "B" for ~$100 less?

I have the SU-16C; it has been reliable, with a red dot (no magnification) it shoots 3/4" groups at 25 yards, 3" groups at 100 yards with surplus ammo.

I prefer the manual of arms of the SU over the AR, and it's pistol operated - all the rage in $1500-$2000 AR pattern rifles these days.

lilop

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    What is the attraction to the SU-16C? Why not the "A" of "B" for ~$100 less?

I have the SU-16C; it has been reliable, with a red dot (no magnification) it shoots 3/4" groups at 25 yards, 3" groups at 100 yards with surplus ammo.

I prefer the manual of arms of the SU over the AR, and it's pistol operated - all the rage in $1500-$2000 AR pattern rifles these days.

The piston operation is a huge draw. The weight (or lack thereof) is another big attraction. In regards to why the C over the A or B models, it's because I like the sights better, and I like the fact that it will fire while folded. In all honesty, I'm leaning towards the Kel-Tec over the Carbon-15, but was interested in the various opinions here on INGO.

JeremySS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Fishers
    The piston operation is a huge draw. The weight (or lack thereof) is another big attraction. In regards to why the C over the A or B models, it's because I like the sights better, and I like the fact that it will fire while folded. In all honesty, I'm leaning towards the Kel-Tec over the Carbon-15, but was interested in the various opinions here on INGO.

There is nothing wrong with the Kel-Tec except for if you get the customization or upgrade bug you will be quite limited. Also consider parts availability if you are thinking of a SHTF type scenario. If you are going to buy it and leave it alone then you should be GTG.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    There is nothing wrong with the Kel-Tec except for if you get the customization or upgrade bug you will be quite limited. Also consider parts availability if you are thinking of a SHTF type scenario. If you are going to buy it and leave it alone then you should be GTG.

Quick threadjack; but if we are talking a no-parts, TEOTWAWKI situation, other weapons would be able to be "procured" and used. Parts interchangability is an (IMO) overused argument. If it gets to that point, pick one up off the ground or get one yourself. . .

JeremySS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Quick threadjack; but if we are talking a no-parts, TEOTWAWKI situation, other weapons would be able to be "procured" and used. Parts interchangability is an (IMO) overused argument. If it gets to that point, pick one up off the ground or get one yourself. . .

True. I was thinking more along the lines of economic SHTF were a company like Kel-Tec might fold and parts would be tough to find as they are the only maker. But, even that is pretty far fetched.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008

"B" and "C" have the same sights.

I've held the "C" but not fired one... the "C" stock is just too flimsy for my taste. Not that the "A" stock is stiff by any means.

The light weight, portability, and operation is what attracted me. It is my "pack" rifle.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom