If you carry a gun, do you carry it when you go to . . .

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Do you carry to church . . .

Do you carry to the homes of your relatives . . .

Do you carry to the . . .

If you are going from your house to church/temple and then coming straight back home will you carry your gun? If you are going from your house to church/temple and then are going out to eat afterwards with other members of your congregation and then coming home do you carry your gun?

How about to the family picnic at your relative's farm/home? Or to Thanksgiving dinner with the family when you are going your mom's/brother's/uncle's house and spending the day there and then coming back home?

I guess, my question is do you ALWAYS carry or do carry 90% of the time and then not carry under some fairly common circumstances? Obviously you can't carry into a police station, your child's school, or into the town courthouse, but I'm talking about places where you CAN LEGALLY carry but you, for some reason choose not to carry.

What do you do?

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    What Rich said.

Now that I have that funky star in my pocket, I worry less about where I carry. Not that I worried much before. I still find myself concealing just as much off-duty, even though I clip my badge to my belt.

Unlike some of my classmates, I didn't go out and buy "SHERIFF" t-shirts or other cop stuff. I don't want to be readily Id's as a cop off-duty unless *I* want to be.

I guess the short version is; Concealed means concealed.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Unlike some of my classmates, I didn't go out and buy "SHERIFF" t-shirts or other cop stuff. I don't want to be readily Id's as a cop off-duty unless *I* want to be.

Some badges are really, really heavy Steve. Apparently you got a lightweight version. ;)

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    I carry everywhere. Thanksgiving, family get togethers, everywhere. Hell my brother was carrying at my wedding. I would've but I had too many things going on.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Everywhere that is legal. However, I have three exceptions to this. The first is if i've had more than one drink. I will carry if i'm out for dinner and have a glass of wine or a beer, but if it's going to be more than one it goes into the lockbox in my car. The second is at my girlfriend's parents house at her request, as they are very anti-gun, and the third is at work. In all of these cases though, my carry weapon is at least locked in my vehicle if the S really HTF.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I carry everywhere it's allowed.

I don't know how many times I've been talking to another "gun person" when they lower their voices and ask: "You don't carry when you go to _______, do you?". To church or a wedding are but a couple of examples. Wherever it is, it's usually someplace I wouldn't dream of doing otherwise, since I could probably dig up plenty of headlines on shootings in similar places.
    But then, I read the papers, so think I have a clue. I wonder if some people ever do.

Weddings?
    We didn't have a lot of people in our own wedding, but it was one well-armed wedding party. We pretty much had a "J-frame minimum".

Family gatherings? Thanksgiving dinner?
    The nice chairs are dinged up from gun butts and magazine floorplates.
    My wife's family is in GA, and when we visit, we stay about a week at their house. I always carry the same guns there as here, and my wife thought that was odd at first. We all went out to eat one night down there and had what turned out to be a non-issue with a panhandler in the parking lot. As we were driving away, my wife made a remark about being glad I was armed and had been watching the guy. After years of visits, that was the first the in-laws knew, and the looks on their faces was priceless.
    Don't show, don't ask, don't tell.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I carry to church because while I certainly trust God to protect me, who's to say that the heater in my hand won't be the instrument of that protection?

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    If I can't carry there...I don't go unless going to work, subpoenaed, dying, or on the recieving end of a fortune.

I think I'd make an exception for the last one... at least for a few minutes.

Ruiner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    I carry as much as possible. Unfortunately thanks to Purdue, I would be expelled for carrying on campus. This makes it difficult for me to carry through the days, because I have classes scattered all around..

24/7 on weekends.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Don't carry to work, because it would get me fired if found out.
    Don't carry to Church.

Pretty much anywhere else that is legal and my attire/activities permit, I carry. I'm not someone who has a gun on me all the time, but I carry most of the time.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I carry everywhere and as much as I can. You never know when someone is going to do something bad. It could be anything from a disgruntled employee coming in to shoot up the local Applebee's to a mugging / carjacking to even a bank robbery. Although each situation would require different actions and reactions.

I'm fortunate enough to be self employed and to also work for my uncle who doesn't mind that I carry my gun to jobsites. We have been installing a roof on one of my uncle's rental houses this week, and I have carried all week while working. It's nice knowing that if something were to happen, either my brother (who works with me and carries) or myself would be able to do something about it, especially since I not only live just up the street from where one of the members on here was robbed at gun point, but the house we were roofing is just 2 down from mine.

Oh, and I carried at my brother's wedding too. :)

Top Bottom