• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Those of you that get the NRA American Rifleman magazine may have already seen this. But it does give you something to think about when voting for a president.

Time magazine asked Justice JP Stevens what he 'd fix about the justice system, if he could. His response?--"I would make all my dissents into majority opinions". Which is fair enough. Most of us would like to think we're always right and would rather people agree with us than disagree. But when Time asked which one, he'd specifically like to change JPS's response: "I would change the interpretation of the 2A. The court got that one quite wrong."

We've already seen the philosophies that BHO is looking for in a judicial appointment. Another 4 years of that guy could reverse alot if good work and affect us for years to come...and not only in regards to 2A matters.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I wish that justices were more about justice than personal opinion, but they're not. So elections aren't just about electing an executive to run the nation. It's also about electing a potential majority in the exclusive club of 9 whose personal opinion counts above anyone elses. That's why so many of the controversial decisions are split along party lines. The 2a majority opinion was wrong in Stevens mind, not because of constitutionalality, but because it didn't agree with his personal opinion about gun control.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Just remember that Stevens was appointed by a republican president. Having a republican in office is no guarantee that you'll get an originalist jurist. Or one who will rule the way YOU want.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Just remember that Stevens was appointed by a republican president. Having a republican in office is no guarantee that you'll get an originalist jurist. Or one who will rule the way YOU want.

While re-electing Obama will pretty much guarantee political-based rulings that ignore the text of the Constitution. Not a good situation, but I know which chance I'd prefer taking.

Consider who has appointed those justices that you consider best, not just the bad choices.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Youre right. It's a gamble. But Clinton nor Obama have nominated anything close to "originalist" or "strict constructionalist" judges. So though the odds of are less than 100% with the republicans, they are almost certainly 100% with Obama in office...the evidence bears that out.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    It seems to be a common occurrence where Repub-appointed justices turn and vote liberal: Justice Stevens, Justice Souter, everyone appointed by Nixon save Rehnquist, Justice Kennedy (quite frequently) Justice O'Connor (often enough), but you NEVER seem to hear of a Dem-appointed justice turning on THEIR masters.

Wish it was reversed....

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    The courts got some of it wrong. While it did say we have the right to bear arms it left some things open .

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Those of you that get the NRA American Rifleman magazine may have already seen this. But it does give you something to think about when voting for a president.

Time magazine asked Justice JP Stevens what he 'd fix about the justice system, if he could. His response?--"I would make all my dissents into majority opinions". Which is fair enough. Most of us would like to think we're always right and would rather people agree with us than disagree. But when Time asked which one, he'd specifically like to change JPS's response: "I would change the interpretation of the 2A. The court got that one quite wrong."

We've already seen the philosophies that BHO is looking for in a judicial appointment. Another 4 years of that guy could reverse alot if good work and affect us for years to come...and not only in regards to 2A matters.

Heck, he is nothing. Ruth Buzzy Gingsburg recently stated over seas that if drafting a constitution, she would not look to ours, but rather that of South Africa.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Heck, he is nothing. Ruth Buzzy Gingsburg recently stated over seas that if drafting a constitution, she would not look to ours, but rather that of South Africa.

Wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit if she decided to change her national residency.

Top Bottom