• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigo334

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Greenfield
    If I got pulled over and had a NFA item like a machine gun registered to me, would the police know that I own it when they pull me over and run my name?
    Kinda having a debate with a buddy I say "NO" he says "YES". I see no reason for that to be in there data base truthfully but idk. If you know could you share your knowledge. I tryed to pull up the NFA FAQ but it wouldn't let me

inccwchris

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Southside of Indiana
    As far as I know it would not be. The NFA item is not registered with local police, only BATFE. The stamp on it is a tax issue, not a legal issue so they could not find out if you had a tax stamped weapon at your home without a more in depth check than a police computer in a car can do. If you do get pulled over, it would be wise to ensure that you ALWAYS keep your stamp with you.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Unless you've purchased through a trust your CLEO has seen your application(s), and there is nothing preventing them from compiling those. Making that available to patrol officers is likely well beyond their capabilities, given what I've recently seen of the state PD's information systems.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Local police would not know unless your county maintains a database based on sign offs. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe only BATFE has access to the NFA database

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    I just made a copy of my form front and back w/the stamp and approval and keep it in the case of my SBR

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    I also always carry a side arm with traveling with NFA items, that way if asked by the Police officer if I have a gun, will answer yes and name the handgun and location. Don't need to discuss the unloaded NFA item in the back, unless asked in particular.

bigo334

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Greenfield
    Ok I was wondering because I was talking about maybe getting a suppressor for my .22, and I didn't see the being a need for the local P.D. knowing about it if pulled over for a minor traffic violation

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    yes, get the .22 Suppressor. You'll love it. If you're any where near Bluffton, stop in at 21st Century Firearms and take advantage of a great sale they've got going on. (or at least WAS going on...saw it on one of their Facebook updates)

In 6-7 months when you get your tax stamp and paperwork back: Go make MULTIPLE copies of it. Keep the original and the majority of the copies somewhere safe. Mine, for in stance, are in our safety deposit box. Keep 1 or 2 copies in and around the item at all times - just in case.

-J-

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I made multiple copies of my form 4 when I got my suppressor. I keep one in my wallet, one in my car, one with the suppressor and the original in my safe at home. Can't be too careful...

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    I made multiple copies of my form 4 when I got my suppressor. I keep one in my wallet, one in my car, one with the suppressor and the original in my safe at home. Can't be too careful...

I have six copies for various locations (plus electronic and a seventh in progress):
    - Travel copy in a packet
    - Tool Bag copy in a packet (this is the back up copy when traveling / shooting)
    - Safe copy
    - Bank Box Copy
    - Back Up copy with original in another bank box (i.e. don't wish to be out a back up copy if take out the original)
    - Copy with the LLC paper work (the LLC paper work is included with each packet of LLC Form 4s).
    - Copy with Firearm (working on this, for items like the HK sear this copy lives in the red nylon trigger pack bag).
    - Password protected electronic copies off line in two different states (i.e. son is part of LLC).

Down side to keeping a copy in you car, is if you get a break in, whom ever breaks in now knows what you have. If you do keep a copy in the car, then keep it in a sealed envelope, possible inside a plastic bag and toss it under a floor mat, in the truck or some out of the way place.

Last edited:

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I suggest using a similar system to what I use.

-Keep the real ones in a vault (bank vault that is)
    -Make a copy, put the copy in a colored binder (lets say black). Leave the black binder in the safe you store the item in. It never leaves that safe, except to add new copies to (lets face it, they are addictive as hell, no-one stops at one)
    -Make another copy, but it in a different colored binder (lets say red). Put the red binder into your range bag. It never leaves the range bag, except to add new copies and when an ATF officer asks to see it at a range (hasn't happened yet, but you never know)
    -Scan them all and upload an encrypted file will all the scans to a cloud service (i use true crypt and google drive). Never know when you will need them, and this provides a rapid way to get more copies should the unthinkable happen and you mis-place your range bag.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    They won't know if you own or possess any firearms and there is no duty to inform even if asked.

They may know that you have a Larry, but that implies nothing.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    I suggest using a similar system to what I use.

-Keep the real ones in a vault (bank vault that is)
    -Make a copy, put the copy in a colored binder (lets say black). Leave the black binder in the safe you store the item in. It never leaves that safe, except to add new copies to (lets face it, they are addictive as hell, no-one stops at one)
    -Make another copy, but it in a different colored binder (lets say red). Put the red binder into your range bag. It never leaves the range bag, except to add new copies and when an ATF officer asks to see it at a range (hasn't happened yet, but you never know)
    -Scan them all and upload an encrypted file will all the scans to a cloud service (i use true crypt and google drive). Never know when you will need them, and this provides a rapid way to get more copies should the unthinkable happen and you mis-place your range bag.

Like the idea of the cloud and having a encrypted file.

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    Like the idea of the cloud and having a encrypted file.

Being a technologist by trade, I do too. Being a realist, I know that my average county cop is going to say "What's that there new fangled shiney thing in yer hands, hmmmm?" By this I mean minimal disrespect...but the reality is that LEOs outside city limits are less likely to accept non-physical (non-paper) versions of documents. I live in the country, therefore, I will NEVER rely on eDocs - even as a backup. Take what you will from this, but I'd rather not send my NFA items to jail for the night (or month) because some hanyuck doesn't know what an iPhone is.

To the OP: You can only get in trouble for things they find. Insomuch as what they find, you're in legal possession of controlled/taxed items, right? RIGHT? And you should be able to prove this at any time. Sans iPhone.

-Dobber

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I live in the country, therefore, I will NEVER rely on eDocs - even as a backup. Take what you will from this, but I'd rather not send my NFA items to jail for the night (or month) because some hanyuck doesn't know what an iPhone is.

I guess the relevant part of that part that I left out is i have a laptop/printer built into my truck. Give me 5 mins with my phone teathered and I can dump out a new copy of my paperwork. (The WHY i have a printer in my truck is a long boring story relating to an extra printer, some power-tools and WAY to much tequilla)

Top Bottom