• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    I recently picked up this old sword at a flea market. I traded an old shotgun for this and some WWII stuff. I thought I could find it on the internet. NOT! I can find no maker's mark of proof marks. I took it to the Louisville gun show with no luck. One guy thought it was Russian. It has a blood groove and has an edge that is sharp all the way around the "butter knife" style tip. Any help?
    Sorry, I can't seem to be able to download tinypics.
    If there are sword experts out there, I can email pics.

r8e1xu.jpg

r8e1xu.jpg

r8e1xu.jpg

r8e1xu.jpg
    r8e1xu.jpg

Last edited:

vedearduff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I suspect that this sword was used either on stage or by one of the fraternal organizations (Masons, KoP, KoC, etc) in their degree work.

It does not look like it was intended for combat.

Glock

Marksman
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    That groove is actually intended to reduce the weight without compromising the strength. It's pretty neat looking. Wish I knew more about it.

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    The sword was thrown in to a deal for some Nazi medals and pins. It seems too sharp and heavy to be theatrical. I could hack brush with this thing.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I suspect that this sword was used either on stage or by one of the fraternal organizations (Masons, KoP, KoC, etc) in their degree work.

It does not look like it was intended for combat.

That would be my guess as well.Even though a Masonic sword would probably have some kind of Masonic markings. :dunno:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It certainly wouldn't be any official Masonic sword, that's not to say some Lodge may not have used it in a pinch. That is just based upon my experience. I have sat in several different Lodges over the years and gone into the AASR.

vedearduff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I've witnessed similar swords used in some of the York Rite degree work as well as some of the Scottish Rite degrees. The swords for this type of use seldom have any Masonic markings to speak of.

The same can be said for the degree work of the KoP. I have no personal knowledge of the KoC, so that was a guess on my part.

Top Bottom