• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The Sheriff needs something to spend all of the money on, may as well be free gun locks. After all, the consolidation of MCSD and IPD was done to save money and eliminate the duplication of services yet after giving away the financial responsibility for 400 men he never took a reduction in his budget, instead he asked for a larger one and it was given to him. The Sheriff has so much money he has started rebuilding his law enforcement division even though he has no jurisdictional responsibilities. He's just sending "officers" out into the streets in marked cars to do whatever their "extensive" training and experience leads them to do. It's awesome.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    The point is that the office of Sheriff is an elected position and I certainly wouldn't want to lend my future support or vote to anyone that says they wish every gun in the county had a lock on it. After all, it is the American way.

Can't disagree with a single word you said.

js, the problem is that we have our employees telling us how our property should be stored.

It's none of the Sheriff's business and he needs to start acting like a servant and not the boss.

I don't see it as that cut and dry Kirk. Substitute bycycles and helments for guns and locks for a moment. I see this situation as the Sheriff saying he wished all bicycle riders would wear helmets while handing out free helmets. Would he be announcing policy that would ticket bicyclists that don't wear helments? No. Would bicyclists get in an uproar because he was giving away free helmets? Some might. Would they be silly? Yes, unless you were one of them.

He wasn't announcing policy or a legislative agenda. He was offering gun locks to people who might want them and opining on their value.

I don't think you lose your First Amendment right to free speech when you run for office. He thinks free locks are valuable. I don't, except that I made a shell deflecter for an AR out of a Ruger lock once.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    which is why you felt the need to quote me, right because you dont think you are better than i am

He's just a better mind reader than you. He can tell what you are thinking. Next some one will tell you what you meant to say.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    He wasn't announcing policy or a legislative agenda. He was offering gun locks to people who might want them and opining on their value.

Well at least somebody got the context of the story....If people took responsibility and properly secured their stuff...gun owners would have a bad name when crooks come up with stolen guns.

Heaven forbid the sheriff expresses his opinion that the safe handling and storage of firearms, especially around children, is important. In that context I would like to see all guns locked away too…

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Truthfully, I think its a decent gesture. I keep locks on the guns in my house that arent kept readily available for home protection or my Glock, as I carry it.

As mentioned, as long as they arent going to make locks mandatory, Im all for folks securing the weapons they want to secure a little more.

-MColford

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Well at least somebody got the context of the story....If people took responsibility and properly secured their stuff...gun owners would have a bad name when crooks come up with stolen guns.

Heaven forbid the sheriff expresses his opinion that the safe handling and storage of firearms, especially around children, is important. In that context I would like to see all guns locked away too…

Blame the victim again? Really! It's a gun owner's fault that a thief trespasses, illegally enters a home through force (probably destroying property while he's at it), and makes off with some firearms that weren't locked up in a safe?

Is it the home owner's fault if a television, stereo, or computer is also stolen? I suppose the wife was asking for it if the same thief decides to rape her while he's in the home. I mean, she wasn't locked up after all.

What an unbelievably stupid thought process.

Let's get a few things straight: there is a difference a country mile wide between firearms secured and firearms locked up in a safe, the sheriff is attempting to equate the former with the latter, and some of us still clearly don't understand the concept of freedom.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    he also said when not being used in a legal capacity (paraphrasing). you guys are running with nothing here and trying to cause panic for nothing. I didnt get the feeling at all that he was being anti-gun.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville

Red part: Huh?
    Blue part: It's fine that he has an opinion no matter how ignorant and misinformed it is. Having locks on guns has nothing to do with safe handling or storage, but rather the opposite effect in regard to children. It is a form of hiding and ignoring the issue of safety rather than educating. The sheriff likely comes across as some sort of hero to the ignorant kool-aid drinking sheep, but I see a complete fool when I hear his remarks.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    he also said when not being used in a legal capacity (paraphrasing). you guys are running with nothing here and trying to cause panic for nothing. I didnt get the feeling at all that he was being anti-gun.

Every firearm I own is still being used in a "legal capacity" whether it's on my body, in the safe, or broken down for cleaning.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

I think there is a fine line between vigilance and paranoia. I understand the idea of a "slippery slope" when politicians make these statements, but I don't think that's a concern here. I'm fine with them making statements regarding secure firearms, just not proposing laws about it.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Red part: Huh?
    Blue part: It's fine that he has an opinion no matter how ignorant and misinformed it is. Having locks on guns has nothing to do with safe handling or storage, but rather the opposite effect in regard to children. It is a form of hiding and ignoring the issue of safety rather than educating. The sheriff likely comes across as some sort of hero to the ignorant kool-aid drinking sheep, but I see a complete fool when I hear his remarks.

If you own something, and then have it taken from you, it is your fault and nobody elses. If in your mind you did the best to secure your property, and it was still taken from you, it obviously was not secure...weapons or otherwise.

I would like to see all guns in my county stored in a secure manner when not in use myself.

Can you picture the outrage if the sheriff had said that "Yeah there are gun locks at Riley Childrens Hospital for free, but gun locks are for the ignorant in misinformed. If you secure your guns it has the opposite effect of keeping children safe"

Is child fingerprinting a government conspiricy to circumvent the 4th ammendment too?

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    If you own something, and then have it taken from you, it is your fault and nobody elses. If in your mind you did the best to secure your property, and it was still taken from you, it obviously was not secure...weapons or otherwise.

Stupid doesn't even begin to cut it with this thought process.

Top Bottom