I'd like to dedicate this post to the Taurus TH model handguns and how to work on them.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I've been wanting to get one for months and was finally able to get one, it came in yesterday.

It feels very stiff all over but has lightened up some with dry firing and working all the controls but it needs a lot more help, and it needs Wolff springs bad.

So what I'd like to do is collect tips on how to disassemble and reassemble as well as any known helpful modifications.

I've already sent an email to Wolff springs to see if they have or if they're going to make a spring kit for the TH models.

After close examination it looks like a quality maid handgun but just like a lot of other guns the springs are unnecessarily strong In my opinion and I'd like to look for places that can be smoothed up if at all.

Anybody else interested?

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    After careful examination it appears that if you push out the rear rollpin under the safety/decocker you can then lift up and remove the sear assembly intact making it possible work on the hammer/sear if desired.

Removing the magazine release button seems to be easy but it might not be wise to remove the spring.

It would be wise to photograph everything as you go to prevent problems with reassembly.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    After careful examination it appears that if you push out the rear rollpin under the safety/decocker you can then lift up and remove the sear assembly intact making it possible work on the hammer/sear if desired.

Removing the magazine release button seems to be easy but it might not be wise to remove the spring.

It would be wise to photograph everything as you go to prevent problems with reassembly.
    And here it is, it just slides right out no problem.
    Now right off hand I would think that replacing the hammer strut spring with a lighter one would lighten the trigger pull weight but this will be a balancing act because if you get it too light you will get improper ignition if any at all.

So now the experimenting begins.

On another note the decocker takes a finger on both sides to drop the hammer, you cannot do it from just one side. I'll have to work on that too.

As I said earlier the magazine release button is stiff and I'm hoping that some careful polishing will improve that

Now I bought this handgun with the full knowledge that I would have to work on it, but that's what gets me up in the morning.

Hey, I've had to work on Smiths, Colts, Rugers and all the rest. The strange thing is that once they've been perfected I loose interest in them and move on to the next one.

Attachments

• 20240812_075525.jpg
      20240812_075525.jpg
      350.5 KB · Views: 21
    • 20240812_090544.jpg
      20240812_090544.jpg
      341.9 KB · Views: 20
    Last edited:

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Thanks for this thread and the pics. I haven't bought one yet, but I still kinda have my eye on the TH10. Like you, I know going into it it's going to be a bit of a project.

Any chance you could post more pics of that hammer/sear assembly, specifically how the decocker/safety fits in there? If I get one I'd really prefer to remove the right-side lever if possible, but a lot of that will depend on how it's designed.

Can you elaborate some on why you need to push both sides of the lever to decock the pistol? Is it just that stiff, or is it sloppy and unstable and requires even pressure on both sides to actuate it? I haven't had a chance to handle a TH10 in person, but I have messed with a TH9 (was in a shop so I couldn't take it apart) and it didn't seem to have that problem....the safety/decocker was pretty positive and easy to actuate with my right thumb.

Also pics of the mag catch assembly would be great if you can. From the reviews this is another ill-conceived ambi control that needs to be neutered, and pics might help determine how that could be accomplished.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    This may be a little help.
    The hammer drop on my gun is very stiff and requires pushing down firmly on both sides at the same time. I have noticed that not all of them are this way. Pushing up to engage the safety is quite normal.

The magazine release is also very stiff.
    You can remove the release button by pushing in on the latch from above with a appropriate sized screw driver and then hopefully polishing the surface.
    I would not at this point try to remove the latch and spring, just the button.

Wolff's response is that they do not yet have a spring kit for the TH-10 or the TH-45 which are the same except for caliber.
    From what I can see the only springs that I would replace would be the hammer strut spring which is very easy and possibly the magazine release spring.

Attachments

• 20240810_212108.jpg
      20240810_212108.jpg
      408.4 KB · Views: 14

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I sent an email to Wolff with the specifications and a picture of the spring in hopes that they might have something similar off the shelf.

Attachments

• 20240812_170833.jpg
      20240812_170833.jpg
      573.1 KB · Views: 16

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Here's a picture of the magazine latch.
    It appears that you have to remove the pivot pin holding the latch and spring to be able to remove the button which I'm not prepared to do at this time because I will need to know how to put it back together first.

Attachments

• 20240813_121912.jpg
      20240813_121912.jpg
      277 KB · Views: 10
    Last edited:

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Warning! There is a small spring and disconnecter button on the inside rear of the frame that can fall out and get lost once the fire control assembly is removed, be careful.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    This thread is comedy gold. So if I follow correctly, you bought a brand new pistol, and before firing a single round you decided the springs the manufacturer put in it weren't the correct ones for the pistol? So you decided to take the gun apart to study it, but decided not to watch any of the dissassembly videos on YouTube, and instead just decided to start peeling pieces off the gun? Once you had a pile of parts, you started mocking up some specs to send to Wolff to have them machine you the "correct" springs for your brand new gun? And apparently you follow this ritual every time you buy a new gun? Did I get all that right?

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    This thread is comedy gold. So if I follow correctly, you bought a brand new pistol, and before firing a single round you decided the springs the manufacturer put in it weren't the correct ones for the pistol? So you decided to take the gun apart to study it, but decided not to watch any of the dissassembly videos on YouTube, and instead just decided to start peeling pieces off the gun? Once you had a pile of parts, you started mocking up some specs to send to Wolff to have them machine you the "correct" springs for your brand new gun? And apparently you follow this ritual every time you buy a new gun? Did I get all that right?
    No.

Your reading comprehension is very poor.
    Where on YouTube did you find complete disassembley and reassemblyr instructions? I have searched for days.

I was forced to purchase this firearm new
    off of GunBroker sight unseen and when I got it I was disappointed in several things and since warranty would not apply I would have to correct the problems myself if possible.

Since others may be interested in this minor work on the TH series I decided to document it as best I could.
    Now since I can do little else due to health, this is how I pass my time and I enjoy it, nuff said.

Last edited:

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Someone put a gun to your head?
    Yes.

After several months of trying to buy one through my local gun store who were unable to get one through their distributers and then finding out that Taurus only sold through GunBroker, Guns America and one other company I went ahead and ordered it from GunBroker. Yes, well you know the itch, you just gotta scratch it.

I've seen "ALL" of the reviews on YouTube and the field disassembley videos before I ordered and decided to take a chance, I mean what the heck it's only $400 and I'm into 10mm big time anyway.

If I don't find a solution then I'll try contacting Taurus but its doubtful they'll do anything about it because it ain't broke it's just stiff as all get out.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    No.

Your reading comprehension is very poor.
    Where on YouTube did you find complete disassembley and reassemblyr instructions? I have searched for days.

I was forced to purchase this firearm new
    off of GunBroker sight unseen and when I got it I was disappointed in several things and since warranty would not apply I would have to correct the problems myself if possible.

Since others may be interested in this minor work on the TH series I decided to document it as best I could.
    Now since I can do little else due to health, this is how I pass my time and I enjoy it, nuff said.
    I dunno man, seems my reading comprehension was spot on. Seems like maybe you should've taken that brand new gun out and put a few boxes of ammo thru it to see how it functioned and to see if that helped loosen it up a little, before you started gunsmithing it.

I know nothing about Taurus pistols but it looks like the take-down process for all TH series guns is pretty similar, maybe? This Flying Hawaiin fella on YT has an hour long video that looks like it shows how to take every last piece off of a TH9. Not a great video, but might be a starting point. Looks like he has a separate 15 min video dedicated to just the mag release.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I dunno man, seems my reading comprehension was spot on. Seems like maybe you should've taken that brand new gun out and put a few boxes of ammo thru it to see how it functioned and to see if that helped loosen it up a little, before you started gunsmithing it.

I know nothing about Taurus pistols but it looks like the take-down process for all TH series guns is pretty similar, maybe? This Flying Hawaiin fella on YT has an hour long video that looks like it shows how to take every last piece off of a TH9. Not a great video, but might be a starting point. Looks like he has a separate 15 min video dedicated to just the mag release.

Thanks for the link I'll check it out.
    I've been dry firing it every chance I get there's nothing wrong with the function of the gun as far as shooting goes it's just the stiffness of the controls and I seriously doubt that Taurus would do anything about that but if I have to I may give it a try and see what they'll do.
    I mean you shouldn't have to use two fingers on both sides of the firearm to press the decocker down, you ought to be able to do it with one thumb. And I can forget about dropping the magazine with just one thumb on either side, it's that stiff.

Now if I had found it in a gun store and tried it out at the counter I would have never bought it but they're just aren't any available except on gun broker and guns America.
    Now my local gun store did have a Taurus TH 45 and it worked fine, that's what convinced me to go ahead and get the TH10.
    Anyway, I put it all back together and it's just like it was when I first got it, I made no changes of any kind except dry firing.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Well now I was looking for a TH10 or TH45 take down procedure I never thought to look for a TH9 teardown, they are very similar but not exact but close enough to get the job done. I'll save that for later if nothing else works.

I noticed he couldn't figure out how to get the hammer spring out and he had great difficulty, it's very easy you can do it with one hand.
    Thanks for finding it, it may come in very helpful in the future.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Your gun of course so it's obviously your perogative but I always want to shoot a new gun for function before doing anything more than a field strip, clean and lube (which I always try to do before shooting a new gun).

I just don't want any doubt about whether I did something that may contribute to a failure, whether that be improperly reassembling something or any modifications. Just the scientific (reduce variables if possible) and sometimes OCD/anal side of my brain at work.

Top Bottom