• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gatorindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Just recieved this email.. Can't open the web site to read the article though:
    'Black' rifles in the woods

Hunters are adopting rifles that look jarringly similar to versions soldiers carry in Afghanistan.
    More

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...Can't open the web site to read the article though:

'Black' rifles in the woods

January 12, 2010

Back to TopCommentsE-mailPrint

The history of hunting rifles tends to mirror weapons of war. After the Civil War, hunters snapped up the newfangled lever-action rifle (Chuck Connors, “The Rifleman”) for the convenience of carrying more than one round in the gun. After World War I, the bolt-action rifle, another repeater, became popular.

Now, some hunters are adopting “black” rifles—guns that look jarringly similar to the assault rifles carried by soldiers in Afghanistan.

The main difference between combat and hunting versions is that the hunting models are semi-automatics. In other words, they fire only once each time the trigger is pulled, the same as other semi-autos long considered legal for hunting. Combat models are capable of ratta-tat-tatting more than one round with a single pull of the trigger.

Traditionalists are sticking with their favorite arms and showing little interest in the black rifles, says Doug Houshour, who manages the gun department at The Outdoorsman Shop in Greenwood. However, he says some deer hunters will buy them now that they’re being chambered for the stubby rounds legal in Indiana.

“It will be a very small segment of the hunting crowd that will ever carry them in the woods,” Houshour says, adding that they’re expensive compared to conventional rifles.

Phil Bloom, director of communications for the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, says some of his coworkers prefer “modern sporting rifles” for their extreme durability. Otherwise, Bloom says, there’s nothing to be scared of. “It’s purely a cosmetic thing.”

What do you think? If during a hike you came across a hunter carrying a black rifle, would you feel differently than if he or she were carrying a traditional gun?

I don't think anyone who knows even remotely about the AR platform would be "jarred" by their similarity to battle rifles.

Overall, a fairly unbiased article compared to some I've read.

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    ATM Said; "Overall, a fairly unbiased article compared to some I've read."

Yes, he's leaving it open for the frantic masses while he:popcorn:.

Really though it isn't pro or anti, he's just reporting. Gee what a concept:dunno:

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    You would be surprised at how many hikers, picnickers, and fisherman i have stumbled accross while walking the trails of public wildlife areas during set hunting seasons.

Hunting (or any form of food production, for that matter) is so far removed from 99% of the population, that It never crosses their minds that they may be wandering around on what amounts to a live fire range. :rolleyes:

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    The guy in the above article was hunting in an area where hunting is not allowed...I feel that the students (victims) in the article were at no fault. How the heck do you mistake people for deer? Responsible hunters should do more than just shoot at a noise or a sign of movement. Make sure of your target, and there shouldn't be an issue.

Granted, one should take precautions if hiking in a huntable area...or not go at all.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    You would be surprised at how many hikers, picnickers, and fisherman i have stumbled accross while walking the trails of public wildlife areas during set hunting seasons.

Hunting (or any form of food production, for that matter) is so far removed from 99% of the population, that It never crosses their minds that they may be wandering around on what amounts to a live fire range. :rolleyes:

A lot (dozens) of my friends do outdoors activities and do not hunt. I remind them every year before the start of the season to remember to wear orange and to be careful when they are out. In spite of what some folks think, the public woods are multiple use areas (with the exception of those that are closed for short term hunts) and someone out hiking has the same right to be there as someone out hunting.

Top Bottom