• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I think the cheapest and most cost effective "training" is just to show up at IDPA or IPSC practice sessions or matches. Most techniques can be honed there with free advice from a wide variety of better shooters than you are. Take all that info and find out what works for YOU. Attending a multi-hundred-dollar class may result in learning one specific technique from a teacher that does not work for you. And there are many techniques out there that can get the job done.
    Agreed. :yesway: That is how I learned rifle and shotgun growing up, learning from all of the old comp. guys traveling around to competitions with my uncle.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I think the cheapest and most cost effective "training" is just to show up at IDPA or IPSC practice sessions or matches. Most techniques can be honed there with free advice from a wide variety of better shooters than you are. Take all that info and find out what works for YOU. Attending a multi-hundred-dollar class may result in learning one specific technique from a teacher that does not work for you. And there are many techniques out there that can get the job done.

Anyone here ever taken ACT's competition-oriented training? Or taken advantage of the one-on-one sessions with GM Max Bedwell?

Would you say that you learned most effectively by attending several matches, or by taking these courses?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Anyone here ever taken ACT's competition-oriented training? Or taken advantage of the one-on-one sessions with GM Max Bedwell?

Would you say that you learned most effectively by attending several matches, or by taking these courses?
    Not taken it, but VERY cost effective pricing considering what you potentially will be learning.

I haven't competed in pistol, but as far as long weapons if you regularly attend competitions and shoot in them it would be difficult for an instructor to teach you much in addition. That's not to say that they won't have something to offer for one to add to their repertoire, but it certainly detracts from the more expensive classes. Of course, I completely advocate that if one wishes to sharpen skills in the interest of combatives and self-defense focused, then they should seek training regularly and never stop doing so because competition has variances that will not suffice, and visa versa.

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    I have taken the act competition class. It was fun and informative. We learned about the rules, classes, equipment,etc. Then we got to shoot some stages and have Coach critique us. For me it was worth the time and money.

I don't think I could have gathered so much info as rapidly by attending matches. I was also worried about just showing up at a match and not knowing anything. After the ACT class I felt confident that I could go to a match and not look like a complete newbie...since I knew the rules, required equipment, etc.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I have taken the act competition class. It was fun and informative. We learned about the rules, classes, equipment,etc. Then we got to shoot some stages and have Coach critique us. For me it was worth the time and money.

I don't think I could have gathered so much info as rapidly by attending matches. I was also worried about just showing up at a match and not knowing anything. After the ACT class I felt confident that I could go to a match and not look like a complete newbie...since I knew the rules, required equipment, etc.
    So, do they teach how to move and shoot? For beginners with an interest in competition or self-defense based training that alone would be worth their pricing. :twocents:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

If/when I decide I want to shoot a Comp, I will attend their class(s)...

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    So, do they teach how to move and shoot? For beginners with an interest in competition or self-defense based training that alone would be worth their pricing. :twocents:

Yes is the short answer. I cannot teaching the shooting,moving, rules, scoring and the complete business in a four or eight hour class. We do a variety of things and I hope our students feel like we are doing them well.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Yes is the short answer. I cannot teaching the shooting,moving, rules, scoring and the complete business in a four or eight hour class. We do a variety of things and I hope our students feel like we are doing them well.
    From what I can gather via INGO and your webpages, you guys seem to offer courses which are well worth the price. I was merely trying to get a student to demonstrate that for other readers. Shooting on the move in the Indy area is something which is not easy to find a location to do, and not many teach it, so any coverage of it is good and at your prices, more than make the class worth it.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    From what I can gather via INGO and your webpages, you guys seem to offer courses which are well worth the price. I was merely trying to get a student to demonstrate that for other readers. Shooting on the move in the Indy area is something which is not easy to find a location to do, and not many teach it, so any coverage of it is good and at your prices, more than make the class worth it.

thanks

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I can vouch for the cost effectiveness of act classes. They have a great curriculum, when you factor in cost:benefit it is well into the awesome value range.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    It's interesting in reading all of the replays. The question that comes to mind is: "Do you really want to take the Walmart approach?" I've taken several classes in the Indy area and yes, they do cost some money. Are they worth it? A resounding YES. You definitely get more than your money's worth. Just my humble opinion...but these people are not in the business to make money.... they truly are trying to help us. And they are. That's my story...and I'm stickin' to it:)

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I can vouch for the cost effectiveness of act classes. They have a great curriculum, when you factor in cost:benefit it is well into the awesome value range.

It's interesting in reading all of the replays. The question that comes to mind is: "Do you really want to take the Walmart approach?" I've taken several classes in the Indy area and yes, they do cost some money. Are they worth it? A resounding YES. You definitely get more than your money's worth. Just my humble opinion...but these people are not in the business to make money.... they truly are trying to help us. And they are. That's my story...and I'm stickin' to it:)

We dont want to go the other direction and assume inexpensive means "cheap" either. My NRA Basic Pistol at Danville CC was VERY affordable, and was VERY informative.

ACT classes are also very reasonably priced, and I WILL be taking one when I can afford it.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

I've taken a bunch of your classes. And I can honestly say that I don't think you could do a better job than what you guys are doing now.

ACT is top notch! :yesway:

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera

After 4 years of Obama all I can almost afford is the Walmart approach ;)

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I heard that ACT is going to start teaching "Jeep Driving" classes as follows:

JD101 - how to shift into 4wd
    JD201 - how to drive in snow

Top Bottom