• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    I've been curious for awhile about the details of ballistics. I know a little, and want to learn more. I want to improve my shooting ability as well as connect a few more brain cells. Anyone have some recommended reading?

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    There is a movie...Called Deadly Weapons, Firearms & Firepower. It shows the destructive power of a .22LR all the way up to .50 caliber.
    They shoot weapons with silencers and full auto. They also show how brush and twigs can affect you shots, how shooting through a glass window will affect it too. They also show what weapons will reliablely shoot a bad guy ...through a car door etc.
    It is about a 20 year old movie...it is on DVD...ebay has it sometimes.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    ultimate sniper.... while some consider this book more "theory" than true field experience, it will cover enough topics in enough detail to give you a better understanding when reading about other ballistics..... it helped me out a lot although i still have alot to learn....

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    East Central In.
    Over the years, Evan Marshall has written some decent stuff on terminal ballistics (penetration and stopping power). If I remember right, he teamed up with Chuck Taylor about 15 or 20 years ago to recreate John Thompson's (Tommy gun inventor) experiments in penetration and wound cavities of various calibers, bullet weights and bullet types for a series of excellent articles in G & A. I highly recommend those articles, if you can find them.

OOPS, after checking out the link Tyler34 provided, I remembered it was Ed Sanow he partnered with for those studies.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    everybody else seems to be giving advice on terminal ballistics except for me.... if thats what you are looking for then my reccomendation is definatly not the one to take

WoodWizard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Get a free reloading book from your shooting supply house, will have many ballistic tables in it for various caliber bullets.

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I would get something basic. I have a ballistics book that is a textbook and it involves thermodynamics and advanced mathematics. It was much more than I was looking for. Search on Midway USA or Barnes and Noble for good books and videos.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I really like a book called Competitive Shooting by A.A. Yur' Yev. He was a coach for the Soviet Olympic teams. It is available in English from the NRA. It goes into great detail about stance, breathing, and trigger control. It also covers interior and exterior ballistics. It is geared toward bullseye and three position rifle shooting, but is really good fundimental information.

Top Bottom