I thought indiana residents could buy ammo in illinois?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • weedsnager

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 28, 2013
    Merrillville, In
    i live in indiana, work in illinois. i stop in a walmart after work this morning to buy ammo, and the lady in the sporting goods department asks me for my Foid card. i tell her i don't have one, and explain i live in indiana, all i need is my drivers lic.
    she leaves and comes back 20 min. later and says they just called the state police, and they cannot sell ammo to an indiana resident. i asked for the store manager, he was not there. i get in my car and called the atf, and they give me the number for the department of the state police that deals with firearms and ammo, and they proceed to tell me the same thing, no ammo can be sold to indiana residents.

ErickB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Schererville
    Oh gawd. I know you can get a FOID card as an Indiana resident, and I know you need one to use a gun as an Indiana resident in Illinois, but I know most of us haven't gone through the trouble. I didn't realize that you needed one for ammo.

I live about 25 miles from Chicago, and they're even offering concealed carry classes now to Indiana residents so we may carry in the city... or at least that's the impression I'm under.

I haven't taken the time or dropped the coin to do so yet... but after your experience it looks like the FOID will be the only way to purchase ammo in "The Land of Lincoln".

-Edit: I see you're from St. John! Which Wal-Mart was it?

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    The State Police may be right, they may be wrong. Start searching Illinois .gov website until you find the answer. Love to help, but my phone sucks to use like that. Not near a computer either. Good luck, let us know what you find out. Not that I plan on spending any time in Illinois, though.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am not claiming to be an expert on this subject, but when the state of Illinios was trying to get the American Trap Association to relocate to Sparta, IL, they had to pass some new laws so the out of state competitors (who did not have FOID cards) could buy ammo at the Sparta ATA facility. This makes me think there is no "out of state" purchaser provision in their statutes.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Oh gawd. I know you can get a FOID card as an Indiana resident, and I know you need one to use a gun as an Indiana resident in Illinois, but I know most of us haven't gone through the trouble. I didn't realize that you needed one for ammo.

I live about 25 miles from Chicago, and they're even offering concealed carry classes now to Indiana residents so we may carry in the city... or at least that's the impression I'm under.

I haven't taken the time or dropped the coin to do so yet... but after your experience it looks like the FOID will be the only way to purchase ammo in "The Land of Lincoln".

You can get a FOID as a nonresident? I thought FOID's were for residents only and out of staters didn't need them.

Firearm Owner's Frequently Asked Questions

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone

What are you smoking? NOBODY but an ILLINOIS resident can get a FOID card.
    Unless specifically exempted by statute, any Illinois resident who acquires or possesses firearm or firearm ammunition within the State must have in their possession a valid Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) card issued in his or her name. Non residents are not required to have a FOID card. New Illinois residents have sixty calendar days after obtaining an Illinois driver’s license or Illinois Identification Card to obtain a FOID card.

Signed former Illinois resident --born and raised and now a Indiana resident. Walmart jsut doesnt know their a$$ from a hole in the ground.

BrinNutz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    SBN
    Earlier this year I bought ammo no problems in Illinois without a FOID card when I lived in WI. I think your clerk was misinformed. All I had to do was show my out of state ID.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

I call BS. You don't need a FOID as an Indiana resident to buy ammo in IL. You are, however, required to have a non resident hunting license. BTDT.
    http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/illinois.aspx
    According to the NRA bordering states are ok with only ID to prove residency and any out of stater with a non-resident hnting license can buy ammo.

Last edited:

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Exactly. That's why I was hoping the ATF could help. I told they ATF that I'd like some info on the law, and I didn't want to call the state police and get some part timer to answer the phone and give me his interpretation of the law.

But it's a state law. The ATF have no purview (and likely no clue) in this matter.

Look up the IL code...read it for yourself...or consult an IL attorney.

weedsnager

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 28, 2013
    Merrillville, In
    i just had a walmart manager call me. he stated he called the department with the illinois state police that deals with firearms, and they told him once again, they cannot sell to an indiana resident without a foid card. he said that the illinois police told him that indiana residents can obtain foid card.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    i just had a walmart manager call me. he stated he called the department with the illinois state police that deals with firearms, and they told him once again, they cannot sell to an indiana resident without a foid card. he said that the illinois police told him that indiana residents can obtain foid card.

Not sure about the non-residents being able to obtain a foid card.

Firearm Owner's Frequently Asked Questions

"Who needs a FOID card?

Unless specifically exempted by statute, any Illinois resident who acquires or possesses firearm or firearm ammunition within the State must have in their possession a valid Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) card issued in his or her name. Non residents are not required to have a FOID card. New Illinois residents have sixty calendar days after obtaining an Illinois driver’s license or Illinois Identification Card to obtain a FOID card."

That was copied and pasted straight from the Illinois State Police website mentioned above.

NRA-ILA | Illinois

This website isn't any clearer on purchasing ammunition, from the way I read it, you can purchase long gun ammunition but not handgun ammunition, legally.

"NON-RESIDENTS
    A non-resident is permitted to possess a firearm without a FOID if it is unloaded and enclosed in a case, or if the nonresident is:
    • Hunting and has a non-resident hunting license, while in an area where hunting is permitted.
    • On a target range recognized by the Department of State Police.
    • At a gun show recognized by the Department of State Police.
    • Currently licensed or registered to possess a firearm in his state of residence.

Any resident of Iowa, Missouri, Indiana, Wisconsin or Kentucky, or a non-resident with a valid non-resident hunting license, who is 18 years of age or older and who is not prohibited by the laws of Illinois, the state of his domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing or using a firearm, may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun or ammunition for a rifle or shotgun in Illinois. A non-resident who qualifies to possess a firearm under one of the above-listed exceptions may also purchase ammunition."

Copied and pasted from above mentioned website.

Still unclear about buying ammunition, I can see why you can get a different answer from different people.

My take on it is, being a resident of Indiana you can buy rifle or shotgun ammunition in the State of IL., but not handgun ammunition.

I don't know.:dunno:

Top Bottom